VST3 Factory Presets vanished!

My VST3 Factory Presets have vanished from the fx preset lists, although they are still there on the disk. I think this happened when I opened an old SX project and saved it as C5.

[Edit: The Halion Content from “ProgramData” is also missing.]

In Media Bay the “Factory Content” folder is unchecked and I can’t tick it! The folder icon is dark grey. The same applies to all the sub-folders, where I can see the names of all the presets I’m looking for.

In “ContentManager.xml” there are three nodes created for “VST3 Presets”: to ProgramData, My Documents and C:\PROGRA~1\STEINB~1\CUBASE~1. I tried changing this last path (to the Factory Presets) to the long version but it was rewritten in short form on exiting Cubase.

I can’t see anything wrong in “Defaults.xml” but it’s a big file and i may have missed something.

I tried fixing this last night by copying all the factory presets into my user presets folder. This worked but left me a load of double-entries so I went back and deleted all the copied presets. This left me with what I wanted - a complete set of factory and user presets but when I switched on today I was back to square one: no factory presets.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Crotchety

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Cubase 5.5.2 64-bit

• Device Setup: tick “Disable CPU Power Saving”
  • Device Setup: tick “Multiprocessing”
    Focusrite SaffireLE (FW400) v.1.5

Dell XPS 8100 Desktop
CPU: Intel i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz (HT ON/OFF, C-State OFF, SpeedStep ON, TurboBoost OFF)
Chipset: Intel H57
RAM: 4 x 2 GB DDR3-1333 MHz
HDD: Non-RAID, 2 x 1TB Samsung HD103SJ (7,200 RPM; DTR: 250 MB/sec; Latency: 4.17 ms)
Grafix: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

Bump. Surely someone knows this one…?

I’ve seen this issue mentioned here earlier, did you search already?

For those with worse eyes than me, this is his system spec: :sunglasses:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Cubase 5.5.2 64-bit

• Device Setup: tick “Disable CPU Power Saving”
  • Device Setup: tick “Multiprocessing”
    Focusrite SaffireLE (FW400) v.1.5

Dell XPS 8100 Desktop
CPU: Intel i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz (HT ON/OFF, C-State OFF, SpeedStep ON, TurboBoost OFF)
Chipset: Intel H57
RAM: 4 x 2 GB DDR3-1333 MHz
HDD: Non-RAID, 2 x 1TB Samsung HD103SJ (7,200 RPM; DTR: 250 MB/sec; Latency: 4.17 ms)
Grafix: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

Thank you! I was wondering what those funny black lines were…

I did do a search a found a few similar things. One solution (from here, I think) pointed me at the Media Bay, which was how I discovered that I couldn’t select the Factory Presets node.

But okay, if you think you’ve see it elsewhere, I’ll have another dig.

Cheers,
Crotchety

Same problem here.
Did you find a working solution?

Cheers, Matze!

No, I didn’t but as I have now upgraded to C6 it doesn’t matter any more. Still, I was hoping for an answer in case I need to go back so, anyone…?

may be this thread is related…

Hmmm. Sounds familiar, thanks for the pointer. I have never had a crash relating to this but a lot of what they’re discussing sounds familiar. I’ve had periods where only user presets would show up. Difficult to relate this directly to an upgrade as I tend to be in full flight when I notice it so ignore till later with the usual result…

However…

I rather belatedly decided to check again, now I have upgraded my C5 installation to 5.5.3 and guess what? All the factory presets are there and the MB node looks normal (it was dimmed in the OP), so people’s suspicions of 5.5.2 may well have been justified.

In any case, the upgrade to 5.5.3 seems to have sorted the problem.

Whew!

Crotchety

Hi there,
I rescanned the MB and the presets are back. But only in new projects. If I open an older “used” one, the steinberg plugs don’t find their presets. Weird.

Cheers, Matze!

Odd. The project I opened was an old one. Is the Factory Preset node in your MB ticked and undimmed? The only other upgrading I’ve done is to C6 (well worth it, btw) but I can’t see how that would have done anything to affect this.

Sorry, pal, I’d like to be of more help but don’t think I can be. :frowning:

Cheers,
Crotchety

I lost all my presets too. They disappeared after I started using media bay (I don’t normally use media bay but started playing with it and now I like it) I havent checked to see if the presets show up in the media browsers or not, but they are definetely missing from each vst’s loading window.

It’s really annoying. Has anybody a workaround for this? Today I had a look into MediaBay and I couldn’t check the factory content.

Cheers, Matze!

Hi Guys,

I’ve had the exact same problem running cubase 5.5.3.

I’ve just noticed that it only occurs when I load a project by double clicking on it. At first i thought it was something to do with loading older projects… But the same projects that don’t show presets are fine if I load them by starting cubase first and browsing to the project. My guess is that there’s a bug that skips scanning of the factory content when loading projects by double clicking. :question:

I hope this works for you guys… Apologies in advance if this is a workaround that only works for me. :blush:

:wink: :wink: :wink: