VST3 only?

I have followed the steps outlined for VST2 in the link that Daniel posted in his FAQ message at the top of this forum, but when I open that VSTAudioEngine_64 I see a long list of GUID numbers without any names so I have no clue which VST2 each would refer to, and they all have a 1 at the end, so I can’t change any from 0 to 1 as the procedure lists. Should I simply copy/paste all of those GUIDs into the Whitelist.txt file and see what shows up?

It might be a good idea to contact the people at Plogue and ask them what the GUID(s) for ARIA are. I’ll drop a tweet to David and Seb at Plogue and see if they can help.

Daniel Spreadbury!
Hi, thanks for all your great work on Dorico.

Clearly you’ve heard a lot about the VST3 only (+ special others) issue already so I’ll try to be brief.
First off, I’d draw a distinction between VST’s and VSTi’s. Not supporting some of the smaller virtual instrument makers that have some great instruments would be a serious drawback for Dorico. Personally I’m happy to use Steinberg’s mixing VST’s but don’t take away my toys! Please?
As an ex-programmer who has looked at the VST3 SDK docs I really can’t see many of the smaller VSTi companies wanting to spend the time and money implementing what is a hugely bigger bunch of requirements than VST2. VST3 is a better standard, without question, and the best thing would be if everyone converted. But unfortunately it is Not going to happen, and certainly not for a notation program, unfortunately.
Don’t let your users get caught between Steinberg and a lagging industry. We don’t have any control over either one of them.
Finally, (I promise), my personal additions to the requests for white page listings include:

• Sample Modeling’s SWAM engine
  • EastWest play
  • Kontakt
  • ALL the other virtual instruments I can’t afford yet or haven’t discovered!
    thanks Daniel

Plogue posted an answer about the Aria VST information
http://www.plogue.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=7833

The files in my appData Folder show that Steinberg can find the Aria files (regular and multi-output) w/ the number provided by Plogue. Even so, I have been trying to follow instructions in the sticky thread as well, but still my WIndows copy of Dorico does not appear to recognize the Aria VST. (What will I see in Dorico if it does?)

The Development Team said this process would be frustrating, and I am resigned to that; but I feel as if I am close but not there yet.
Vst2xPlugin Infos VSTAudioEngine.zip (893 Bytes)

These instructions as posted by fratveno in this thread work:

Dorico will compute the GUID number. But it takes the steps as outlined below. I’ve duplicated those steps here:

\

1. Copy the name of the plugin faithfully (without the extension) and put it into its own line in the WHITELIST file. Then put 32 zeros on the line beneath it. The plugin itself will have to reside in one of the default paths. (there is an xml file listing those as well - install a reader that formats xml in a digestive way, e.g. (equivalent to) notepad2 on windows)
  2. Start Dorico and quit again immediately. The xml files will get updated.
  3. Open the defaults.xml file and look for the line with 32 alphanumeric charachters ending in “=0”. That will be your plugin. Change the “0” to “1” and copy those 32 glyphs (the GUID) to the clipboard and save the file. If there is no such line ending in “0” then your plugin has not passed the verification.
  4. Open the WHITELIST file again and replace the line with 32 zeros with the GUID from the clipboard. SAVE.
  5. Launch Dorico and your plugin should be available.

As I said, I have tried following these instructions. (Not specifying which folder the default.xml comes from was initially off-putting.) But in my case these instructions did not produce the results anticipated, perhaps because I already had the GUID from Plogue.

if you can post your defaults.xml file and the vst2whitelist.txt file I’ll be happy to take a look at them and see if they look correct for the Aria plugin

Here is the Defaults file from my Roaming folder and the whitelist from the Steinberg Programs folder.
As you can see I have been trying the solution is the sticky thread on VST’s. Originally both Aria numbers were the same in the whitelist file.

Grateful for any help you can provide.
vst2whitelist.zip (245 Bytes)
Defaults.zip (5.88 KB)

I just noticed your default.xml file still has =0 at the end of the Aria GUID. You need to change that to =1 and save the file.
Both Aria listings have the same GUID…

Okay. Thank you. I can see the Aria (multi-output) in the pull-down in Play. (Should I be able to see it when assigning instruments in Setup?) I cannot as yet get any sound out of it even after assigning the instrument to it and matching MIDI channels.

If you have any additional wisdom to share on this, I am all ears (so much as that expression applies on a forum).

Again, many thanks for your help so far.

@Fratveno: The Aria Player and the Aria Player Multi GUID are different by one digit. So be careful about that. I initially thought they were the same also.

@Derrek: You assign instruments in the Play mode. Click the icon next to the VST name and it will open the VST window where you can assign instruments. I am sure this won’t be necessary when Dorico has the expression map stuff working.

@dbudde: Ah, sorry about that - one can never look closely enough, apparently :open_mouth:

@Derrek: + you have to assign which VST to use and set the channel numbers, instrument by instrument, on the left side of the Play window. (If I remember correctly, I’m not near Dorico atm. (Actually I am, but I forgot the Dongle in the office))

ARIA WORKING: thank you very much fratveno and dbudde for your help. Can’t say how happy I am to gain access to this group of sounds. :smiley:

Plogue’s Bidule VST and VSTi plugins are working well here on my Windows 10 rig so far. Bidule (Like VEP) then gives me access to all my other plugins without having to mess with the whitelist anymore :slight_smile:

Another plus with Bidule is that I can pipe MIDI out to my outboard MIDI gear now (I’m using a combination of audio cards [one in monitor mode] and an old school mixer).

I found the whitelist information for Bidule here:
http://www.plogue.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=7833&p=41999#p41999

I am not a software engineer. Only a humble composer of modern classical. The discussion on VST2 and VST3 is impossible for me to understand. I am used to EWQL and Pianoteq, How and when are they going to be available in Dorico?
I paid a reasonable amount of money for my licence and now I dont know how to get my libraries into Dorico.
Perhaps Doric is made for programmers by programmers and common musicians and composers are ignored?
I am comfortable with Sibelius and Finale. The hype about Doric being the next wave appears at least for me to be hollow bragging.

Sorry for my bad mood but the library problem was a complete surprise which I cold not predict based on the ads for Dorico. It would have been easy to state that “You cannot at this stage use EWQL, Pianoteq,… with Dorico”. Or perhaps I missed something?

So the basic question is: When and how can I use my libraries with Doric without a degree in software engineering?

Leander422

Sibelius, Finale, EWQL, Pianoteq, Garritan, Reaper, LogicPro and all the rest

You can use your libraries with Dorico, but you will need to carefully follow the instructions shown in our knowledge base that will provide you with the steps you need to follow to whitelist your VST2 instruments, which at the present time include both EW Play and Pianoteq. Here are the steps you need to follow, and if you have any specific problems following them, please start a new thread here and we’ll do our best to help you.

Followed the instructions given (probably?)

Made a mess of defaults.xml and achieved nothing else. Here is the post mortem of my efforts:

1. Found file vst2whitelist.txt
  2. Found Defaults.xml
  3. Did not find any entries with value=“0” in Components\Category Audio Module Class\Available
  4. How can I know which GUID (or several) i should copy into vst2whitelist?
    4.1. It says “each plugin has its own GUID”. Where do I find it.
  5. Closed all files and restarted Dorico.

I OBVIOUSLY CHANGED UNINTENTIONALLY SOMETHING IN DEFAULTS.XML AS DORICO HANGS WHEN I TRY TO SWITCH BETWEEN KONTAKT AND HALION.

Sorry for being so ignorant but now I have three problems:

1. how to restore defaults.xml
  2. how to find the entries with value 0
  3. Which GUIDs to copy if I get that far

The only good thing about this is that if I manage to make it work then we know that anybody can do it :wink:

Leander422
mac os x

If you get into a pickle, it’s safe to simply delete the whole VSTAudioEngine folder from its location on your operating system, as specified in the knowledge base article. When you next run Dorico again, it will recreate the folder and you should be back up and running.

Actually, the correct GUID was only necessary in the 1.0 release. From the 1.0.10 maintenance release onward, the entry for the GUID must be still there, but the value is totally ignored, so you can just put in any arbitrary number. But what is important is the correct and exact name of the plug-in, i.e. the bundle name without the extension.