WaveLab evolution into a powerful DAW in its own right, Steinberg can learn much from Philippe

So as I’ve been looking forward to WaveLab 12, and pondering how useful WaveLab has become, and also wondering about @PG1 (Philippe Goutier) – Long-term legacy continuity plan for WaveLab after Philippe retires? – I have come to another realization that WaveLab has actually evolved into a powerful DAW in its own right, and in fact, the rest of Steinberg can learn a few things about some great features and workflows that Philippe has built for us. Maybe I’m late to the party on this realization, but I had to post about it, along with a huge thank you to Philippe for his work over the last three decades.

One can only hope that the Cubase/Nuendo developers will sit down and take a master class from Philippe, because he’s really figured some things out that Cubase/Nuendo users would benefit from.

First, the WaveLab Audio Montage is basically now a multi-track, multi-channel, latency-compensated, multi-threaded, audio-only DAW. In fact, in some ways, the audio montage surpasses Cubase/Nuendo in some great audio-only DAW workflows, with some really well-executed features that are obviously missing from Cubase/Nuendo.

Besides all the great mastering and metering and editing and batch processing and endless other useful features that go back decades, the Audio Montage (first introduced in WaveLab 3 in the year 2000 I believe!) can currently handle unlimited tracks, unlimited clips, track groups, reference tracks, automation envelopes (and not just automation of volume and pan, but also effects), and not only that, it’s got GREAT clip-based automation that is IMO is better than Cubase/Nuendo’s clip-based envelopes, and let’s not forget that it even has great ripple editing. Yes, ripple editing done right. At Steinberg. By Philippe. Not available in Cubase/Nuendo.

Don’t even get me started on the flexibility of the FX and FX automation that allows independent clip-based, track-based, output-based, AND mastering FX chains. And yes, clip-based FX include clip FX automation envelopes that are basically more usable to me than Cubase’s own DOP features. Not to mention some logical intuitive workflows of working with clips, tracks, etc. that let you work with traditional mastering tasks up to replacing/mastering audio in multimedia and video/film projects and everything in between. Indeed, the audio montage is even suitable for mixing all kinds of projects. Yes, it’s that flexible.

And let’s not even get into the great podcasting features (thank you!), which is a rapidly growing market with ever-growing production budgets, and WaveLab has outstanding tools for that.

And we’re not even getting into all the other broad uses of WaveLab from academic, scientific, institutional, forensic, archiving, and so forth. It’s a total BEAST of an audio app, if you think of the broad spectrum of projects you can do with it.

Really, the dividing line between WaveLab and Cubase/Nuendo for some kinds of projects is getting more blurry over the years. Obviously, WaveLab doesn’t focus on the MIDI/composition domain, which is the specialty of Cubase, or the additional specific niche requirements of film post production, which is the specialty of Nuendo, of course. However, there are some kinds of even large complex multi-track pure-audio projects where I don’t need any MIDI or composition tools, and honestly, WaveLab would actually be the better “DAW” to do it in!

And let’s face it, the only reason that WaveLab is not considered by many people as a “DAW” in its own right is really because of the marketing department… and I have nothing against the marketing department. But it is NOT just a mastering/editing app. Those of us who understand what WaveLab can really do, know better, and we know it’s a powerful DAW in its own right, and there are things that Philippe really got right that the Cubase and Nuendo teams can learn from him!

So again, a huge thank you to Philippe, and here’s to looking forward to whatever he’s been cooking up for WaveLab 12!

(Just please get your long-term continuity plan figured out with Steinberg for after you retire!)

5 Likes

Thanks for this nice presentation.
I am in very good shape and have no plan to retire at all :slightly_smiling_face: And there are still many things I have in mind for WaveLab 13 and more :wink:
That being said, no one is irreplaceable and Steinberg will find the means to continue in one way or another, when the time comes.

16 Likes

Great to hear, PG! Your passion and unwavering commitment to WaveLab over all these years is fantastic, we are all very lucky indeed! Excited to see what you have in mind for the future!

2 Likes

You are appreciated ! Cheers !

1 Like