Wavelab Render function - can't use McDSP Plugins

Hi,

Sorry if this has been reported here before, but I couldn’t spot any sign of it.

So I’m posting this info for anyone wanting to use McDSP Plugins in the Master Section of Wavelab and then use the Render function.

This causes an immediate no warning crash of Wavelab, confirmed in both 8.5 and 9.

I’ve reported this to McDSP, whose reply is given below :

Hello Nigel,

Unfortunately, we do not currently support rendering with VST. We have it logged and will address in a future release TBD. Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it. Cheers.

Regards,

McDSP Support
support@mcdsp.com
650-963-9740

Hopefully this info is of use to others who may come here seeking help over a smiler problem.

I have an update for you.

McDSP’s response got me thinking ….

The VST version does not support rendering, but maybe the Audio Units version does?

I have Blue Cat’s MB-7 Mixer and Patchwork plugins, bought to help me hosting FX and virtual instruments in Pro Tools that haven’t been ported to Pro Tools latest AAX plugin format.

I loaded up the AU versions of the two McDSP plugins I wanted to use into two separate instances of MB-7 (because my plugin chain started with a McDSP plugin, then had several UAD plugins before finishing with another McDSP plugin).

I can confirm that rendering including McDSP plugins works successfully in Wavelab when you use the AU versions of McDSP plugins hosted within Blue Cat’s MB-7.

I’ve had a couple of other communications with McDSP this evening, as follows ….

I asked if the non-functioning of rendering in the VST version was documented anywhere and got this reply …

Hello Nigel,

It should be in the release notes but I don’t see mentioned. I’ll see if we can get that added. Thanks.

Regards,

McDSP Support
support@mcdsp.com
650-963-9740

I then updated them with the workaround described above, once I’d tested it to make sure it works, and got this response ….

Thank you for the work-around Nigel, much appreciated. We’re still a bit new to the VST world but we’ll get there. Thanks again!

Regards,

McDSP Support
support@mcdsp.com
650-963-9740

So there we have it, hopefully this info is useful to someone else out there, we know its a McDSP problem and they plan to implement a fix at some point in the future, and at least there is a reasonable workaround.

One other slight problem that I’ve not resolved yet though is this ….

There is one other problem that manifests when loading the AU version of MCDSP plugins into Blue Cat plugins acting as a host …. the ability to load and save presets is completely absent. I’m guessing this is due to McDSP being originally Pro Tools only. They’ve always relied on the host’s system for loading and saving presets, rather than building in their own load/save mechanism. I’ll point this out to McDSP as well.

Last update for now ….

Although you can’t load/save McDSP plugin presets when hosting them inside Blue Cat plugins, any changes you make to settings are saved as part of saving it as a Blue Cat preset.

So you can recall a setting you’ve made when reloading a McDSP plugin via a Blue Cat preset, buy you can’t directly load/save McDSP presets.

N

Has MCDSP come with any solution to this?

It might be helpful to add this issue as a short report in the following thread: