Web video freezing when Cubase 11 is open

Recently I’ve been having a problem where sometimes web video, e.g., YouTube and Vimeo, won’t play when Cubase is open. When I click play the video just freezes. When this happens it affects all my browsers, i.e., Chrome, Firefox, Edge. Sometimes it plays a few seconds at the beginning and then freezes. Audio-only playback, e.g., Spotify, podcasts, etc, are unaffected. When YouTube freezes after a while it puts up a message saying " If playback doesn’t begin shortly, try restarting your device".

It does not affect either the video or audio on local apps on my PC such as VLC or Premiere Pro.

If I shut down Cubase the problem goes away.

I used to have this problem sporadically, but it became much more frequent when I got a Steinberg UR22Mk2 and installed the Steinberg USB driver for that device.

I read the thread linked in your response and I don’t understand it. First of all, the text “The ‘release driver when application is in the background’ option in Cubase is NOT activated when this issue occurs.” occurs several times in that thread but I have no idea what it means. I attached the UR22Mk2 and installed the Steinberg USB driver. Now all the sound on my PC flows through the UR22Mk2. I don’t know what “activated” or application being in the background means.

Second, most of that thread seems to be related to audio problems and my problem is that video freezes. Furthermore, this only seems to happen when Cubase is running. But the UR22Mk2 processes ALL my audio output, not just Cubase audio, and in the absence of Cubase everything seems to work fine.

I got the UR22mk2 because several people on this forum suggested it would fix a different problem I was having with audio using the default Windows sound setup earlier this year. I’ve never had any problems with audio or video subsystems with FL-Studio, Adobe Audition, or Premiere Pro, all of which have complicated dependencies on drivers in Windows. Why is Cubase so problematic?

I suggest you try one of an old version of UR series Drivers
Maybe your problem is among the problems that happens for many people for the same reason, Whether Audio or video issues … I hope you find a solution.:+1:

I suggest you try one of an old version of UR series Drivers
Maybe your problem is among the problems that happens for many people for the same reason,

The same reason as what?

Unless there’s a known bug in the current driver, I’d prefer to find out why this is happening and fix that rather than tinkering around with obsolete or deprecated drivers. Other people are allegedly able to use Cubase with the current Steinberg USB driver without these problems so it must be doable.

Cubase is easily the most high-maintenance software I’ve ever used in my life.

Agree 100%, But in your case i don’t think Cubase is cause that, If there are crashes or freezes when working on different programs, the problem is often from the audio interface or the GPU Driver.

It only happens when Cubase is running and it became much worse when I installed the Steinberg USB drivers for the Steinberg UR22Mk2. So it’s clearly related to either Cubase or some other Steinberg product. But either way, I’m under the impression that other people are not having this problem so I need to find out how I can not have it.

Why are you and I the only two people in this thread?

1 Like

I don’t know :slightly_smiling_face:
Relax, In the end, someone will come and help you.

1 Like

Hi, @art1 , here we meed again, I come to the rescue !

Indeed, there really is a known bug, that’s not just imagination.
Since Cubase uses ASIO and there is a bug in this ASIO driver, then yes, it only happens when Cubase is running, that can’t be more logic… And depending on users audio settings, the issue may or may not be present, but you shouldn’t stop on that one point for now. Please read the following carefully.

Remember, I participated in your topic where you were having trouble with the built-in device – or the default Windows device, as you call it.
In fact, Cubase isn’t problematic. I remember giving you some steps to follow to prevent this kind of problem, but you refused to give it a deeper look, blaming it on the screenshots not being in English.
That said, having a UR22Mk2 or any other audio interface won’t fix the problem until you make the right settings in Windows and Cubase, sorry to repeat again. Having an external interface will only solve the issue you got when plugging and unplugging the jacks repeatedly.
After the discussion was over, I really felt concerned that a lot of people are actually facing this issue, it’s not just you, many people are having trouble with finding the right settings, but that’s not a big deal :wink:

I have now written a detailed guide explaining all the different points. I have tried my best to keep it user-friendly while giving as many details as possible. Now, there’s no reason you can’t follow it.

The topic is that one : Audio Setup Guide - for Windows users

Everything is explained, including the bug with the latest driver version. There are links to an official Steinberg support page that explains what the bug is about and how to solve it.

In any case, if you follow the guide properly you shouldn’t have any issue anymore.
Tell us how it goes.

@ANAFREE Thanks for helping, but as you see, @art1 sometimes likes to turn a deaf ear :hear_with_hearing_aid: :laughing:
(Oh, well, that’s just a little joke, don’t take this literally, I feel sorry if anyone here is actually deaf.)

Nonetheless we still like you @art1 , we are just here to help, but if you don’t cooperate this cannot work. :blush:

1 Like