Welcome thread for Finale users

Jesper

2 Likes

thanks,
likewise for Dorico concepts?
:innocent:

The Operation Manual contains a complete chapter about the Concepts.

1 Like

Hi, new to Dorico coming from Finale.

I understand individual licenses can be activated on up to three machines.

It seems the recommended way to install Dorico is through the assistant. If I use the assistant for a Mac for example, can I also come back and download the assistant and use it for a Windows machine?

The links in the MakeMusic-crossover emails are not clear on this.

Thank you!
Jim

I don’t know if this has been mentioned– I haven’t had the chance to read every post yet.
For importing XML files, it’s best to make sure all the boxes in preferences/Music XML Import are unchecked.
You want Dorico to reformat to its rules for the best results.
Maybe unchecked is the default now. I don’t believe it was early on.

2 Likes

Daniel, it’s been many years since meeting you at NAMM show in LA… and here we are - big changes afoot.

Many friends have their entire career wrapped up in Finale scores; I understand this is not unique. Exporting to MusicXML and importing to Dorico may migrate most of the notes, though in my experience chord symbols, fret diagrams, and other nuances seldom port well - one is pretty much starting from scratch. While Finale has someone keeping the lights on in the engineering department, are the two companies working towards a true migration utility with a lofty goal of 100% migration to Dorico. This is the time to make it happen. Otherwise, musicians will be saddled with maintaining two hardware systems to retain access to their old scores for the remainder of their careers.

4 Likes

I got the feeling MakeMusic stated that Dorico was an equal or even more advanced replacement for finale so I jumped on the Train and bought it as i didnt know for how long the crossgrade offer would be valid.

And found out that all the transcribing features for audio import and tempo adjustment for audio is totally missing in Dorico. Oahhhhh

Also I think MakeMusic could have Done a deal with Dorico so we could import our originals directly or a till to convert automatically

3 Likes

Welcome to the Forum.

Yes, you can Install Dorico on Mac as well as on Windows and activate the license in the Activation Manager.

The number of three active licenses can be on any combination of Windows and Mac systems.

Looks splendid. I thought I’s dip a toe in the water and download Dorico SE. Unfortunately the Steniberg Download installer fails to install. I have done the manual install of library manager etc. Nothing. Is there a single comprehensive guide to installing on a Windows PC? Yes, I have used Finale for many years and have hundreds of projects.

Thank you very much! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi,
I’m using Finale since 2014, have updated it in Finale 27 and ordered Garritan Anthology. I hope I can use it with Dorico 5 Pro. Would be my hope reality?
My second question: To facilitate the learning and the use of Dorico, is it possible to change the English language in French? Majority of modern softwares have this possibility. If yes how to do it?
Thank a lot

1 Like

Welcome, Robert

Yes, you can use the ARIA Player VST with Dorico, and access all your Garritan instruments from there.
You will need “Expression maps”, which translate notations like “pizz.” into the MIDI commands, but that’s getting a little advanced for now.

Yes, you can set Dorico to be in French in the application Preferences.

4 Likes

I am sure this is being feverishly discussed but: The remaining developers at Finale should now be working together with the Dorico team to implement a .mus to .dorico import module.
This is a win-win for everyone: Dorico automatically gets all Finale users and our millions of Finale compositions will not be relegated to File Nirvana.
Not saying it will be easy or perfect (I am a developer myself so I have some idea of the struggles it will cause)-- but it should be attempted!
And if the bean counters in the financial department begin to moan loudly: I am more than certain that Finale users would be happy to pay extra to be able to import their now-decrepit files.
Does anyone know if this is being actively discussed?

1 Like

Hello,
I just switched from Finale to Dorico. And it is also new for me, to use this type of chat groups.
My first question: Would anybody please help me, how to play my imported musicxml-files to midi-out. I found the section “VST and midi”, but wasn´t able to redirect the output from VST to midi.

Thanks in advance and many greetings from Lübeck Germany
Lars

Welcome, Lars

This should probably be in its own thread, but we’ll continue here for now.

Are you trying to play an external MIDI device from Dorico? In the VST and MIDI panel of Play mode, there’s a section for MIDI Instruments. You’ll need to add your device to that.

More details about your setup and OS would be useful.

Thanks for the quick answer.
My midi device (on my MS-Surface-Notebook) is perfectly installed and Dorico found it without having anything done especially.
My problem is, that I have the two sections (VST and midi) both underneeth. There is a On-Off-Button in the VST-Section, so I can turn that off, but there is no similar button in the midi section. So I wonder, how I can activate the midi-section.

I hope, my explaining was not too confusing.
Thanks
Lars

Earlier today from Michael Good himself:

2 Likes

Hello,

I have been a Finale user since 2002. Yesterday, I became a Dorico user. I have spent several hours watching Dorico videos. I am excited about the power and seemingly simplicity that Dorico offers over Finale.

My biggest concern revolves around the production of hymnals and songbooks for congregations. I have thousands of songs that need to be migrated. I will take my time and learn the “Dorico way,” but there are a few items that I need to know fairly quickly.

1. Shape Note Hymnals - Is it possible to create a template that allows shape notes by default? Most of the songwriters that I work with write and publish with shape notes.
  2. MusicXML - The Finale format required many manual adjustments to each song in order to get it to appear correctly in the hymnal. “Split Measures,” manual adjustments to items such as note and lyric spacing, and a host of other manual edits do not appear correctly after exporting and importing. What is the best way to handle the cleanup that is required to get these looking correct with Dorico? Should the songs be prepared differently in Finale before exporting? Should adjustments be made to the import settings in Dorico?
  3. Playback with Shape Notes - The “Mi” doesn’t sound right on half notes. The only way I could get them to sound right was to delete them and re-enter the notes. Does this have to do with the Finale font not being “translated” right in the import? Should I update the fonts in the Finale files to use SMuFL before exporting?

I realize that Solfege and the Moveable Do system is probably foreign to many, however, it is very important to those in my circle.

I am just a dumb country boy from Alabama, but I am anxious to learn Dorico.

Thank you so much!
Greg

2 Likes

Hi Greg, I publish hymnals using Dorico and it works beautifully.

1. Yes! There are several systems, including Aiken 7-shape. Just save a blank file with those settings. That’s what I do.
  2. Just import, reset everything, and start over. Been there, done that

Happy to help.

PS: you will love the manual spacing algorithms, once you learn how note spacing behaves. Takes time, but it’s way better than Finale.

6 Likes

Thanks for the quick response, Dan!

What do you mean when you say “reset everything?” Is there an automagical way to reset everything in the new score and dump the previous formatting?

Greg