Welcome to Cubase 10

Did you do a clean Cubase installation or did you install over a previous version of Cubase? I’ve got a fresh Mojave installation waiting for a fresh Cubase installation but I’ve been waiting to see an “official” announcement that the two are now compatible.

Hi Matthias,

I’m missing the colour tool, as I’ve posted in the issues forum - it was really useful in certain project types and situations that are very separated event heavy.

In my situation as an example, working in 9.5, I was making snare samples and testing my outboard, printing all my results - different EQ settings, different compression settings, different combinations of each… went pretty deep… and of coarse ended up with more sample variation events than probably what was needed - but I organized everything with detailed naming and into folders and subfolders and subfolders within subfolders, AND visual grouping using colours. Colour grouping process batches, colour grouping favourite results, etc, etc.

The most important thing about the colour tool, was the alt-modifier to sample colours that already existed in the project to reuse them which is how I was using it. Nothing was quicker than hotkey selecting colour tool, alt sampling a previously used colour right next to the event I wanted to colour the exact same colour and doing just that.

There is no way to replicate this workflow in 10. I have to open the colour menu each time, and sometimes it is even difficult to sometimes see which colour I used previously as some of them are 15% shades of each other. So, the new colour GUI and removal of colour tool is detrimental workflow killer in some situations. I imagine anyone who have separate event heavy work - film post, sample pack creators, game audio, forensic audio, commercial applications like cell phone audio banks, etc would use this colour tool this way.

The other problem created here, was the removal of the colour list and the new colour palette not showing the titles of the colours. I have titled my colours to represent instruments in the project - everything from different strings, to bass, guitar, synths, etc. Being forgetful and also OCD and colour coded every instrument, I sometimes forget which is which, for instance all the pieces of the drumkit I have different shades/grades of blue.

I would suggest either having it so the docked colour button at the top of cubase remains the colour list, and then the new floating colour palette can exist as it is - and or, let the user change between a condensed no title colour palette or an expanded titled colour palette.

This change was a major slow down for me. Thanks

Yes. Exactly! Thanks for typing that out hehe!
The new color panel is a toy!!! It’s like whoever made this don’t use the color panel. I was hoping for an expanded color panel and better color management in Cubase after all and now we have this instead.
My reaction when I saw the toy panel:

:laughing: lol’d multiple times

Thanks guys for pointing this out (Colour Picker): Cubase 10 is now OFF my wish list and I shall continue using 9.5 until this has been resolved!

Thanks for your input, sorry and glad I’m not the only one.

lookahere what I found:
‘Cubase 10: Color Schemes of older versions cannot be used
The graphical user interface of Cubase 10 has been thoroughly reworked.
Therefore, unfortunately, Cubase 10 cannot inherit Color Schemes and Custom Color settings made with previous Cubase versions on a system.
Cubase 10 will open with its default Color Scheme, which can be customized in Cubase’s preferences (Windows: ‘File’ menu, macOS: ‘Cubase’ menu) under ‘User Interface’.
Furthermore, Color Schemes saved as part of Preferences Presets or Profiles with previous Cubase versions cannot be restored in Cubase 10.’
+
‘Cubase 10: Possible crash after creating tracks, loading projects and other actions
Problem
Cubase 10 crashes when you try to
create a new track,
load an instrument,
open a project,
copy and paste events between projects or
access the lanes of a track.
Reason:
It turned out that the Auto Track Color Mode settings ‘Use Last Applied Color’ and ‘Use Previous Track Color’ can affect the stability of Cubase 10.
Solution:
This issue will be fixed with the next maintenance update for Cubase 10. Until then, please make sure you are using the default Auto Track Color Mode.
Start Cubase.
If you haven’t disabled it, the Steinberg Hub window appears.
Do not open or create a project. Instead, click on [Cancel] to close the Steinberg Hub window.
Select ‘Preferences…’ from the Edit (Windows) resp. Cubase (Mac) menu.
Go to Event Display ▸ Tracks ▸ Auto Track Color Mode.
Select ‘Use Default Track Color’. This is the default setting which is active when Cubase is being started the first time.
If Cubase 10 still seems to be unstable after you’ve switched to the default Auto Track Color Mode, please refer to the general troubleshooting guide for Cubase and follow the instructions on how to initialize preferences’
+
‘Cubase 10: Older Project and MixConsole window layouts will be discarded
Due to technical changes, unfortunately, Cubase 10 cannot inherit layout settings for the Project and MixConsole window made with previous Cubase versions.
Therefore, both Project and MixConsole window will open with a default configuration. For example, this affects the visibility of Zones and Tabs as well as width and height of Zones.
Projects saved with versions prior to Cubase 10 will be opened with a default window layout. The original window layout saved with the project will be discarded.
The status of Zones including selected Tabs is being stored whenever a project is being closed or saved. Next time a new empty project is being created or a project is being opened, the last applied layout settings are being used.
As a rule of thumb: The Zone setup used recently in Cubase 10 is the one that will be restored.’

This seems to make it clear, to those of us who have (preciously) named Colours for our Tracks etc., that Cubase 10 should be treated as a new/er DAW and also to wait for next maintenance update, until one commits, if, indeed, one is.

Dear Steinberg

WHY THE F*** DO YOU EVEN RELEASE THIS UNFINISHED SOFTWARE?? Don’t you have your own beta testers? We need to work, not test your crappy builds, AND EVEN PAY FOR THEM!

I’m not sure that this is the level of discussion that we should wish to sink to. It devalues your argument to the point where it would dismissed out of hand. There are many things that have annoyed me, but being civil gets your voice heard.

I did not use the colour much in previous versions as when importing the Dawlabs colour scheme it was a long horizontal line of colours that stretched of the screen. I can now use it much more easily in a nice rectangular window. I do agree about the colour tool.

I am very pleased with C10. However, I use Cubase only for audio, never any midi and such related functions. For my purposes, C10 is nearly perfect.

/Magnus

I’ve changed my mind! It works and it’s the best tool for color coding Tracks and Parts in the Project window hitherto.
It kind of works as before but the displayed colors you can set up like a color picker in a graphics program.
In the edit dialog you can open a color, CTRL+C to copy it and paste it in somewhere else.
You can also drag and drop colors from one place to another.
Giving the colors names you can jump from row to row with the TAB key.
It’s actually really fast and efficient and I’ve now created about 30 rows of 8 colors
Each row has an instrument name or something similar, and I have a base color in the first box of 8.
Then it’s easy to drag and drop that color in the next color box and just push it to be a little darker and keep doing that until the row is filled.
It has nothing to do with music but if you’re into this kind of poopies and can’t help yourself it has been an improvement in Cubase 10!
After that I have a glorious pallette to paint my Tracks with!!! :smiley:

I upgraded to Cubase Elements 10 version specifically for the VST Transit feature, but its not available.
Why is this? :question: :exclamation: :frowning:

According to the comparison chart, VST Transit in included in Elements. Can you be more specific?
You have to set it up and register your license in MySteinberg.
Maybe this helps?..

I’m on Pro but the installers should be the same, so …
There is a separate *.msi installer file in my download for the VST Transit called “…\Installer\VST_Transit_64bit.msi” … of all things !
Maybe you can run your Cubase installer program again and just check to see if the VST Transit is installed and install it from there if you need to.
Or if that won’t help you can maybe run the *.msi as it is and install that?

So the dawlab color scheme works ok in C10?

Working here.

Dorico SE integrated into Cubase, and then whoever also buys Dorico, features full integration into Cubase just like ARA2 can integrate Melodyne

It does for me and actually works a lot better. I got a horizontal string of colour the went off the screens in 9.5 in 10 there is an elegant rectangular window. I will also investigate what HowlingUlf was talking about as that sounds right up my street - so thank you for that :bulb: :smiley: .
It seems that Steinberg has completely updated the colour handling to the point where colours cannot be imported correctly from previous versions.

My colours transfered but maybe that is because they were saved in the project. I suggest saving a 9.5 project with your colour palette and opening that project in Cubase 10, then in Cubase 10 open up your palette box, go to the customize colours thing, and then open the options box at the bottom there and ‘save current set as program defaults’

Great… Thanks for the replies!