What does cubase have that Studio one and logic doesn't

Editing audio in Parts !
mic drop.

Shift click on a Part from track #1 And a Part from Track # 38 and BOOM ! they’re right next to each other full screen.

The audio engine sounds amazing. Almost like analog compared to everything else, including Protools.
And so many other things that others have / will mention.
I’ve had my nitpicks about the effects busing but …

Cubase has always been the act to follow. Period. End of story. Close the book. Go to sleep.

Can you please explain this further. I don’t follow.

You are talking about the track window? Are you shift-clicking on the track itself or events in the track?

Where do these show up “next to each other”?

@cparmerlee,

I’m a mac user. the keystrokes may differ on PC.
Click on PARTS, not EVENTS. Events live inside Parts. That’s important. Your audio Events must be nested inside of Parts to take advantage of this.

One other caveat; on Cubase 9 and above the default setting for editors is to open in the Lower zone. You need to change your preferences so editors open up into new windows as it always did in previous versions.

I rely heavily on event based automation, as opposed to mixer automation. Event based automation is also one of Cubase’s great strengths.
This technique is also priceless for nudging audio events to match another track.

With that in mind:

• Highlight a part that you want to edit relative to another track.

• Hold the shift key and highlight a part on another track (or tracks, this can be as many as you can fit in your editor)

• Double click or command E to open the part editor. Resized your part editor so it takes up as much space as you want.

Hope that helps.

Also, the pics I included are Cubase 8.5. I’m presently migrating up to 9.5 or 10.5 on another partition.

PS. Is there a file limit to adding pics to post? I could only put 3 images.

Yes it does. I had no idea about that. That’s a very powerful feature. I don’t often do projects with many tracks, but I can see where this would be a very nice feature to use.

wow interesting approach, never thought about it. Can you explain use cases for this?

Don’t forget a startling disregard for users.

1 Like

Not nearly as much as Ableton though. Nobody can compete with some of the requests for basic features that have been disregarded for over a decade. :smiley:

Mybe they are implemented in a way or another in S1 or LP, but AFAIK, it’s not the case. So, it seems strange to me that nobody has mentioned these four, yet :

• Generic remote definitions (even if it needs an overhaul, buggy as it is)
  • Retrospective record (I started countless projects, during all these years, thanks to this one)
  • External instruments handled as VSTis.
  • Input tracks.
    They are the main reasons why I keep using Cubase since 2003 (without counting pro24 and Cubase for ST, long before…). Beside this, well, the UI and the workflow that comes with it and a special mention to the Input tranformer (even if I would like it to be enhanced also, though).

…since Cubase has all the great features (more Inserts, Event FX, Bezier Automation Curves, One Window Handling, lower and right zone, new normal folder browser, browser VST pics, much more drag/drop! etc.) that made S1 great - S1 now has become superfluous…

And this is the best DAW mixer. No doubt.
Have a look:

!

really? I hate it.
A greyish flat 2D GUI is not my taste.

I don’t think so. A pretty nice looking GUI is deceiving here.
Even the emulations of the analog classic compressors have nothing to do with the originals. Sounds like plastic in most cases. Apple are great in GUI design.

Nope.

Logic these days is more a tool for young beat and loop-the-loop producers.
Logic lags behind in film composing and sounddesign.
Logic has the worst and boring Mixer.
Logic has a big bug with latency bus compensation since decades. Have a look:

I’m a former Logic X hardcore user.
Here are my

Logic CONS:

no Folder in Folder
-limited customization
-no multiple midi CC view
-very complicated way when dealing with Multitimbral instruments!!! (aaargh)

• no channel strip FX
  • 1 Movie per Track (oh man)
    e.g.
    When adding plugins there’s a very tiny bar for you to select.
    labeled ‘No Plug-in’ to remove a plugin.
    You can’t select it and hit delete. You can’t swipe it off.
    actions like ‘Remove DC Offset’, ‘Reverse’ and ‘Normalize’ are only available in the file editor.
    There’s on a single controller lane in the MIDI editor.
    Logic has no easy ways to adjust butted midi notes, selections of midi notes or any other major ways to adjust MIDI data.
    Logic has no Macro facility. There’s no integrated way to chain commands together to be triggered by a single key press.
    Track folders, which are purely organization tools, can only be 1 layer deep. That means you can have a folder with tracks. You can not have folders within folders.
    . You can not have summing stacks with summing stacks in them without some hacky workarounds that aren’t worth the effort.
    I butt heads with this one constantly when working in Logic. Especially so when dealing with drumkits where I want a ‘Drums’ summing stack, and then a summing stack for snare (top/bottom mic) and kick (kick in, kick beater, front-of-kick). I want those kick and snare summing stacks inside the drum summing stack. No can do in Logic.
    There is no way to search for a track in a project. If you want to find a track in Logic then you have to scroll, scroll, AND SCROLL.
    No mixer reset, Can’t left/middle/right zone mixer channels, Tiny faders.
    Logic does not appear to compensate this for automation correctly (see posting above). If you have a plugin that causes latency and automate parameters on it, then all of the automation will be out of time for the previous plugins. Bummer.
    If you solo a track in a summing stack, then you hear all the tracks in the summing stack, not the track you soloed.
    There’s no way quickly bypassing a row or column of plugins. There’s no way to bypass all plugins in a project either.
    You can already adjust the gain of a clip by adjusting the ‘Gain’ box in the track inspector, but that is not very convenient.
    Single layer VCA’s only.
    Communicating with Apple about issues with Logic is basically not possible unless you are a tester. You simply submit your issue in to a black box and wait. Rarely you may get a response, but that almost never happens…

Generally I find that both DAWs can accomplish the same things but…
I find Cubase to be more intuitive, particularly with multitimbral instruments and advanced MIDI editing.

I find the built-in channel audio tools to be more useful; EQ and compression are more transparent sounding and the saturation tools are quite good.

One BIG difference is audio editing. I always HATED editing audio in Logic but in Cubase it’s quite slick.

Movie bounce sometimes making the audio all white noise, Logic’s inability to use negative bar numbers without crashing, hard-to-wrangle automation, its wonky way of using multi-timbre instruments, its infuriatingly weird mixer that doesn’t respond to edit window track order, and sometimes the tracks just move to a completely different position and you can’t move them back, the piano roll’s lack of multiple CC lanes, a lack of an elegant way of editing MIDI data, a convoluted process when it comes to moving video or altering timecodes. And way more.

Cubase has note names in each of the roll events (but Logic has this now as well)
C. has multiple CC lanes in the editors
Piano Roll in each Arrange region
C has expression Maps, or rather: Everything related to articulations/CCs/Kontakt/ VI automation seems better in C (except that Logic has “Articulation ID” tags on a per note basis - which would great if it could be used directly with Kontakt libraries w/o third need for 3rd part products)
Better time stretching algorithm - although personally, I hardly work with audio files anymore
ASIO Direct Monitoring
The Control Room feature
Development Speed (there hasn’t been any major updates that’s relevant for what I fond most important in Logic for several years, and the Mac Pro and MacBook Pro development isn’t really happening either)
Audio to MIDI which translates pitch bends /vibrato/volume
Steinberg has a large staff working on Dorico ( new score editor), and Cubase and Dorico will hopefully be integrated
A better freeze which unloads/reloads Kontakt samples + partial freeze
Uncluttered automation view (nodes are only shown when you need them)
Auto Track Colour mode
Can switch/load/save preference files from the pref. area
Cubase seems to have a lot more key commands
And, in theory (and this used to be important to me): Global preset banks for external MIDI gear. It’s just that I only work with sample libraries now - my old synths are collecting dust. So that feature isn’t important for me anymore.

Audio editing IMO far superior in Cubase. I find sample editor in Logic horrible. Multiple tracks fade out in Cubase is as easy as selecting the tracks and dragging. In logic you have to use a tool and you can perform a fade in one track at a time
Variaudio built in pitch correction. No plugins, no offline rendering in the background.
Proper vu meters in the mixer
Offline effects processing (DOP is DOPE!)
Better pitch shift/time stretch algorithms by far (elastique)
For me midi workflow is better in Cubase. VST expression is a timesaver if you work with libraries.
Cubase has Volume adjustment on the audio event itself. Saves me a TON of time.

Cubase has - Expression Maps. No one else does this and they’re so awesome and so invaluable to composers

• the score view. I know many people don’t use this but after diving deeply into it I was shocked at how powerful it is, and how easy it is to get professional looking scores once it’s all set up.
  • Notes in the piano roll view. Multiple controller lanes. The mixer. The Media Bay. Track visibility controls. Mixer view sets and visibility control. The amazing export window for stem bouncing. The Logical Editor!

Cubase: MIDI is better, Audio is better, CPU is the same (yes it is with ASIO GUARD (OSX here)

C.

A great feature of SO is the option to have more than one installation (if I am correct, they allow 4 activations?)

Do you have 4 studios or 4 audio work places…?
^^
Do you work simultaneously with 4 daws…?
^^

I can install cubase thousands times - on each OS and both important platforms.
And the tiny little dongle USB stick is not a problem in studios.

(nobody can tell me that he mixes in the subway or in the train/bus/plane/beach/forest…)

BTW, Cubase Elements is ideal for on the go respectively for Notebooks/MacBooks.
And CE works completely without a dongle (!) CE .cpr projects can be imported 1: 1 in Cubase Pro.
completely relaxed solution, IMHO.

the new overlay EQ in cubase 10.5 is an amazing feature. No other daw has this, most daws don’t even have built in eq in every channel.

Thank you centralmusic for your post about Logic cons, since I was very seriously considering moving to Logic, atleast for the instrumental / virtual instruments production part.
I wish Logic was re-wireable so it can me used as rewire instrument in cubase,
because I really like Logic’s drummer, virtual instruments, auto-sampler, loop and sample content, and the compressor. My favorite part about Logic’s compressor is that you can dial in one of the compressor models and then switch thru different models while retaining all the settings.

Hi Ensoniq_ts10,

yes, that is absolutely right. These are…

Logic Pro PROS:

thousands of GB´s included samples, apple loops until suffocation, nice presets content, a wide range of onboard effect plugins, a great easy-on-the-fly drummer, and a big bunch of professional sounding VI synths.
The new samplers - easy to handle, auto sampling with best daw integration. With the latest Logic version, an ableton live style clip launcher was added. Nice to have, why not, everyone works differently.

But I have to admit, I for myself can’t work with a clip launcher thingy. It’s not my way to produce music with ready-to-go apple loops and “clip mute on / off”. (hint: formulated somewhat exaggerated)
I also have many very high end VI synths such as Dune, U-He stuff, Serum, Arturia, Korg, NI Komplete Ultimate, e.g. Steinberg´s wonderful Halion is my to go sampler. Not to forget the high quality sample libraries that I own. So I am well positioned.

For me, the workflow and the features of a daw are crucial - and not included content. :bulb:

(BUT: let’s not forget that Steinberg builds better and better synths and samplers! (Padshop and Retrologue are hi end stuff!) and Cubase´s effect plugins are really professional to use - you don’t even need external tools to produce high-quality music).

Anyway. That’s why I switched from Logic to Cubase.

Note:
+++ No daw is bad these days ! +++ There is something for every taste, every wallet size and every style of music. Each one has its own philosophy and its own set of power users that make it look like an A++ program.

“These are great days we’re living in, bros…”

I wish Cubase had a Drummer like the Logic Pro X Drummer and especially its Follow feature. Wow, that’s great. Groove Agent’s player can’t simply do that. Isn’t it?
In Logic, create a Drummer track.
1.Record a bass track (or drag a bass apple-loop in the arrange)
2.Active the Follow feature in the Drummer interface and choose Bass. Wow! The Drummer is listening!
3.Edit your bass take (or choose another loop) Wow!

Repeat 1,2 and 3 with a guitar part or a keyboard part and listen to the drums!

Magic!
Oh, and this Follow feature is even included in the free desktop and iPadOs Garageband.

1 Like

I have 4 Audio Workplaces, indeed.

1 Main DAW
1 Laptop
1 “Playground” to quickly record ideas which is in my working office place
1 Recording location with nice acoustic where I like to record my classic guitar for instance

And I do not want to carry my dongle every time. I want to be flexible and do not have to plan my recordings and if you carry your precious dongle around all the time and one day you lost it…well

Be happy with the dongle, I like anyway the option to have more than one installation of my application
Other companies give you also this opportunity with their VST applications.

AND, now Studio One 5 is out and even the basic version has now VST support. Hence I may not need Cubase anymore on the other 3 recording sites but perhaps I may even not need Cubase at all one day. Looking forward to Black Friday…

The extra workplaces also come in really handy when you are doing a lot of collaborations with other humans. S1 is great for a lot of things. but the more MIDI you do. and especially the more MIDI you do with hardware instruments which it’s allergic to, the worse it looks in comparison with Logic and Cubase. For basic audio and light MIDI, it’s quick and slick. No hiccups, you can do things while audio is playing, and ARA has worked well for five years.

Studio One lacks forward compatibility. This is a huge inhibitor to collaboration. If you have only S1 V5 and your collaborator has only S1 V4, you cannot save any song or project files the collaborator can open. Presonus has done so many things well, this seems like a monumental blunder.

In 2020 (really even back in 2000) there is no excuse for not making your data file architecture future-proofed. Dorico does this well. Any Dorico version can open any *.Dorico file. If there are features your installed version doesn’t recognize, then those are dropped, ignored, set to defaults or whatever, but the file opens and is fully capable for your installed release. I am newer to Cubase, but that seems to be the way Cubase works also.

I can’t believe Presonus doesn’t get this. Today’s music (both song creation and recording/mixing) is all about collaboration, and especially so in a COVID-19 world.

Ah, guess everyone was indeed on the same version when I collaborated with other humans. Which doesn’t make the other allocations completely useless – you can do a lot of collaboration before someone changes versions. You could also “take back” an allocation from someone you’re no longer working with and give it to someone you are.