What does Halion 4 offer over H Sonic with sounds?

I could not find a manual or information on the steinberg web site on what sounds are offered in Halion 4. Halion 3 had 16 bit and 24 bit orchestra sounds to choose from. Does Halion 4 use the same orchestra sounds? Does it include the same samples as Halion 3 or are they improved?

Just by what I read ,it seems to include my Halion Sonic sounds and a couple of more megs of sounds. I only want Halion 4 if it offers great orchestra sounds that are above the keyboard orchestra sounds that Sonic offers.

Please advise.

Thanks

I dont believe that H 4 was ever about sounds and voices, yes it has only a few mg of sounds of its own and all the rest of the sounds can be found in HS.

What H4 is about is the way you can lay and slap your stuff down mainly that in sampler mode it is a very sweet sampler and very addictive the range is very large what you can do and once more with the highest sound quality
My thoughts is a must for people who love to work with sampling on the higher end.

These is my thoughts you may or may not agree

novaburst

Halion 4 has new samples, mostly the same as Halion Sonic + a few additional gb

But you can load the complete halion 3 library from the steinberg ftp-Server for free and as you can use halion 3 with the halion 4 licence, you can also load the halion 3 library into halion 4 and enjoy more sounds :slight_smile:

PS:And i agree with novaburst. Halion 4 ist mostly about creating sounds…

If you don’t need the power of a sampler, you might be better getting the HALion Symphonic Orchestra sound instrument set - a great range of instruments and articulations for the price, plus VST Expression. Or, best of all get HAL 4 and HSO.

H4 has besides being a sampler more tweakable parameters (as in built-in synth engine + sampler engine + effects)

The difference in sounds is like everyone else already pointed out a couple of hundred extra Programs with H4 (compared to HS). (The are not the same as H3.) Anyway, so you do get more sounds with H4 than with HS. Whether it’s worth it, is a matter of personal opinion. MY opinion is that you can NEVER have enough sounds.

OTHER differences could on the other hand be more interesting. H4, compared to HS, everything that can be edited can be edited, which is not the case with HS. This is of course subject to whether you are making your own sounds or not. If you are, then it’s not a choice, of course. :slight_smile:

H4 is not a sampler - it can not actually sample anything - it can only play and edit existing samples, so it appears to be mainly just a sample player.

…now, where’s my S900? !

:exclamation: This is totally untrue. HALion 4 is a full Sampler- Workstation plus the Synthesizer Workstation from HALion Sonic.

As I can see in your profile/ registration you don’t own HALion 4, so why do you propagate your sciolism or superficial knowledge?

How does one sample a new sound with H4?

1. Record any Audiofile to an Audiotrack in Cubase or Nuendo

2. Drag and Drop it into the HALion 4

3. Now you can edit, program, play or whatever you want to do in HALion 4.

thats all…

:bulb: btw.: Thanks god the times are finished for the old “Hardware Samplers”…they had so bounded capabilities…

In theory this sounds good Marcus, but if you read my thread here…

You will see this is not working reliably as Halion cannot remember the samples location when done this way. If you delete the audio track after importing the recording into Halion, or want to use the imported sample in a new project you will constantly be badgered by Halion for the samples location. Please read the above thread as it is quite annoying. There are a few instances where Halion 4 cannot remember a samples location. Comments?

That is exactly my point - you have to ‘sample’ audio with something else and then give it to H4 to treat and play back - calling H4 a ‘sampler’ is a misnomer - it can not actually sample anything.

Maybe you are too young to remember when a ‘sampler’ was a piece of equipment that was actually used to ‘sample’ a sound, without the need to use anything else to do it (except perhaps for a microphone or a line input).

BTW, don’t believe everything you read in peoples’ profiles - I have many things that are not listed and probably don’t have some things that are still listed - I can not remember where to go to change it!

Well the fact there isn’t any timestretch functionality is disappointing to say the least. :frowning:

Are there any plans to include this in a future update?

Yes, timestretch is definitely needed. I would love to see something like Free Warp found in Cubase audio editing in Halion 4. This would be great for vocals etc.

Hi @ all,

if you record audio to some tracks and drag-and-drop it into HALion 4 works perfect here at Steinberg and in my Studio.

:bulb: Workaround for “lost samples”:

• Just save the Program after editing as “Export Multi as VST 3 Preset with Samples” (Screenshot attached)
  • Next time you start the HALion 4 just load the VST 3 preset or Drag-and-Drop the VST3- Preset from your Cubase
    Mediabay.

:arrow_right: HALion 4 will now always find the samples.

1. Btw. I can take look in your account and USB- eLicensers :wink:

2. I remember my first AKAI and my Emu, they were nearly useless without an external SCSI- Drive…where my Samples and Recordings needed to be saved and stored.
    So for me it was a revolution to do this in just one machine called computer. At this point the way of sampling changed the definition of a Sampler. Hardware Samplers went the way of the dinosaurs, they died out. That’s evolution.
    So if I would be a paper-pusher, I would agree your opinion… :wink:

3. Btw. I think I am old enough…my wife would disagree your opinion, maybe you can talk to her and make her understand that I am too young :wink:

What if one does not want to save a multi program, but just individual programs? I don’t want to have to load a bank of 5 samples if I only want the one. I want to be able to audition and load only one sample as seen fit to my needs at the time. I really do feel more work needs to be done on the Importing and recognition of saved samples within Halion 4. I never had such issues with Halion 3, ever. Halion 4 is great once stuff is loaded, but manually converting one by one your collection, then going through the issues when loading them back up is something my hardware sampler never had an issue with either. This part of Halion 4 is flawed, inefficient and a pain in the ass to use.

• I have tested it with the “Save Program as…” function. Works perfect as well with imported patches, recordings and own programs.

Nevertheless the import- function & Mediabay will be improved within the next patches.

Here are the exact steps I take, it does not work for me. Perhaps you can spot the reason to me and the other users no?

1.) Start with a fresh slate, zero previously loaded programs.
2.) Press CTRL + I to bring up the sample import browser.
3.) Select multiple samples from a directory of choice, for example C:\test, 1.wav, 2.wav, 3.wav etc.
4.) Select these multiple samples via holding CTRL while clicking on them.
5.) Drag with your mouse all selected samples into a blank Cubase project. This will create an audio track with each imported sample on its own audio track.
6.) Select each of these imported samples one by one and drag them into the slot rack of the blank Halion 4 instance currently loaded. This will create a program with the name of the imported sample.
7.) Right click on each of the programs and select SAVE PROGRAM AS.
8.) Tag the sample as seen fit by you the user and save. Do this for each of the programs loaded into the slots.
9.) When finished, close out the current Cubase project including the loaded instance of Halion 4. When it asks to delete the recordings/audio events that were created click yes, afterall, we don’t need all these duplicates on our drive and these events were never meant to be saved within a Cubase project, these events were created for the sole purpose of importing and saving back into Halion 4 for VST Preset creation.
10.) Reboot the system, start up Cubase again, Halion 4 again and try and load a sample you just created. You will be greeted with a can’t find sample, please locate dialog box. The icon will also turn red in the program list that the sample for the loaded program cannot be found.
11.) Direct the dialog box to where the sample was originally imported from via CTRL + I, it will work during the current session. Close this session out, start another and try and load the program again, again it will ask you for the location, it does not remember!

This goes on and on. If you have created hundreds of different presets scattered from various directories around your hard drive, you can quickly see how mundane and frustrating this entire process is.

Having to CTRL + I each and every time you want to load a WAV file from your hard drive to create a VST PRESET from is a real long and tedious process. This CTRL + I sample import dialog browser should be made into a tab one could access from directly in Halion 4 itself, just like the mixer, mediabay, sound, zone etc. This would at least eliminate the constant hot key presses needed to bring up this dialog box each and every time you want to load in a new sound.

Getting the samples to properly remember their location each and every time you load them is a bonus too.

I am extremely grateful to hear that this will at least be improved in future updates. I am looking forward to this and only this from any upcoming updates. Nothing else concerns me if I can’t get a solid and reliable library going for which to use within Halion 4. Tweaking and features should come after proper functionality of existing functions are tweaked and optimized.

What are your personal thoughts on my tab idea of the CTRL + I sample import browser, just like Halion 3 had Marcus? No hot key pressing was needed to browse quickly and efficiently within that program 7 years ago.

That is the key, if you delete the recordings you will have to locate the samples. Its not a bug or issue, it is the normal reaction of HALion 4.
Do not delete you recordings while quitting Cubase.

A better way would be if you use the Cubase Mediabay and just Drag-and-Drop Samples into your HALion 4.

Hmmm. if I do not delete the records is this not taking up extra space?

I will try and drag and drop directly from the Cubase Mediabay in a few moments. I have tried copying from Cubase Media bay into Halion 4 Mediabay and this did not work. I will try and copy from Cubase Mediabay into Halion 4 slot rack as I think that is what you mean.

Thanks for the heads up Marcus.