What is the technique for... Migration thread for PT Users

As another use pointed out, I don’t think it’s a good idea to try and drive Nuendo like you would PT, or any other DAW.
Rather, it is better to understand how to accomplish similar tasks in a new workflow.
Guess that’s my goal with this thread.

I’ll start with something simple that is driving me off the walls: The playhead.

I have locate when clicked in empty space turned on. Is there anyway to just click somewhere besides empty space?
Or is everyone just using the ruler?
Because the ruler is kind of small, and sometimes the timeline is covered with events, so it’s hard to find an empty space.

This will get you closer to what you’re used to:

Transport → Video Follows Edit Mode
Preferences → Editing → Cycle follows range selection
Combine Selection tools

I do enjoy being able to zoom in and out by click holding on the timeline. It also places the playhead where I click…

Thanks!

Only odd thing about this is that when you use “locate next event” the arrange window doesn’t follow the cursor, but I understand why it wouldn’t.
Would argue that this function should still work with this mode on.

Do you work this way? or work without it? If not, why? Just trying to learn!

Look here, you can modifier+click everywhere to jump.

The second last post.

Oh man, thanks! This is by far the best one, going to roll with this.

One thing I don’t understand and I’m trying to search for if it is a setting or not is when I’m in the editor, if I make a selection and try to cut it wants to create a new version and shifts down the timing for the clip, is there a way to not have that happen and essentially use the editor as if it’s say a toggle zoom? Or should I just be using “Z”?

I like having enlarge selected tracks, I think that’s really great, but for some reason it’s bugged on my and either doesn’t work, or shrinks sectes tracks. I think after these two problems I’ll be on my way for the most part.

I have locate when clicked in empty space turned on. Is there anyway to just click somewhere besides empty space?
Or is everyone just using the ruler?
Because the ruler is kind of small, and sometimes the timeline is covered with events, so it’s hard to find an empty space.

I just assigned a key command to “locate when clicked in empty space” and turn it on or off depending on my needs. john

Not bad. I really like the modifier key so far.

What’s the use case for the sample editor in Nuendo?
It seems more like a tool for sound design.

Manual reads: “The Sample Editor provides an overview of the selected audio event. It allows you to view and edit audio by cutting and pasting, removing, or drawing audio data, and by processing audio. Editing is non-destructive so that you can undo modifications at any time.”

Except, If you cut anything, it shifts to the left. So it seems like a glorified offline processor for say… dialogue editing?

Using the sample editor you can edit files before you place them in the project.
The sample editor is also the tool to accès advanced time stretching and pitch manipulation.
And you can also zoom clearly in to sample level so you can manipulate each sample at will.

I would suggest you read the Nuendo Manual. It’s also hyperlinked…tagged such that you can search for subjects of interest without having to dive/read too deep to discover what you want. I prefer the Nuendo manual to PT Manual. It’s such and easy read, well-referenced and illustrated. It also has a step by step action sequence for tasks illustrated. Goodluck with transitioning from PT.

I’ve been reading it. I’m about almost a 3rd of the way through and I skip around a tad here and there when I’m stuck on something.
It’s just that the language for the sample editor seems somewhat confusing.