What's the difference between "routing" and DIRECT routing?

In the mixer page you can have both options, but what are these and what for?
I get the first one is routing the channel to the speakers, but the optional direct routing is new to me.

Many thanks!

Just another 8 options to distribute signal. Handy for parallel compression, side chain feeding, external FX, analog summing, switching to different bus processing just for parts of a song…

Direct Routing has two modes (selectable globally or on channel basis, rightclick in the top DR rack bar or in Mix Console menu) - just one routing active or all together.

There’s actually a lot you can do with it. It’s a concept found in most analog desks (routing to multiple subgroups).

Hello there.

I am setting up one more direct routing, but I am not figuring out how to switch all of them together, I found I can only click each of them manually.

What’s the full name of the “DR” track?

I can’t find anything seems doing this in the menu of MixConsole.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure what you’re asking. If you’re asking about how to make more than one Direct Output work at the same time per track then right-click above the selection “slot” and choose “summing mode”. It’s a misnomer, but that’s what you need for all outputs to be able to be active at the same time.

“Direct Routing”

1 Like

Thank you for your help, mate.

However, I found that the summing mode does not suit my needs.
I have posted another question about this and it seems that direct routing is not what I am looking for.

How to switch the direct routing? - Nuendo - Steinberg Forums