When is Cubase 12 coming out

Thanks for the reply! €99? Was expecting more, so happy camper here

1 Like

Maybe week of 5 of November then- As previous years.

1 Like

While that would be close enough to my birthday to be a nice present… I’d rather not! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

You see that “on”? That means this month. If it was to be released in April, for example, one would say, in April. But “on” is used like “on the 16th”.

3 Likes

how about “on November 16th”?:slight_smile:
you guys are more crazy than my children before xmas…

4 Likes

And note the 6 dots in the ellipsis - 6 days from now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Your deductive skills are incredible!

2 Likes

No, that date is for 12.5. (and it will be confusing if cubase 12.5 is released before cubase 12.0)

1 Like

It so great to see the conversation become fact-based!

3 Likes

Thats fair.

Thanks for the previous clarifications regarding the grace period,

On the other hand, from my point of view I still consider that to stop supporting VST2, is a not very considerate move for Steinberg users, in the sense that many studios that support updates, depend on old projects that use VST2 where they are required to reopen some of those projects even after 2 years or more, (I’m talking more about Nuendo), however, in Cubase happens too, sometimes is need it to open older projects, I guess the solution will be to have the latest version that supports VST2 installed, in addition to the VST3 update.

However, Steinberg have been in contact with UAD?.. and on the other hand, all instruments will already have side chain input with VST3?

I think that when the change happens in favor of VST3, with Cubase 13 for example, a solution could be to give us the option to download two V13, one that supports only VST3 and another one that supports both VST3 and VST2…

Maybe you can help us to clarify a little more why decided to make this change that does not support VST2, what are the advantages? some developers still have VST3 versions too buggy…

5 Likes

Because of instability issues with out-dated VST2’s such as this I guess?

I mean, VST2 has reached it’s expiry in terms of support a while back, and yet there’s still another 24 months to play out. So by no means overnight switch off.

I agree the initial announcement was a little bit of a wake up call that many of us had been sleeping on, I Was initially a little upset… But really, when you process it all rationally, the active third party developers need to pull their fingers out.

For those plugins that are no longer developed, projects that contains them you should ideally be backing up to audio stems as a minimum archive requirement anyway, future projects you can just run a VST2 bridge. Or, retain an older build of Cubase. The solution is really that simple.

C12 on it’s own may happily run on whatever O/S is current in 4/5+ years, for example, so it’s not like you NEED a dongle for legacy projects either.

Developers that are still active then you need to contact them or open a ticket and make it clear you’re expecting a VST3 version to continue with their products. Also explain that if possible you want the ID to be preserved so that VST3 equivalents load in the place of VST2 - I’ve been through all of mine and sent tickets, emails, social media @'s - everything! And most have replied positively. :slight_smile:

But, this is has been discussed on other threads multiple times now - I think most people are just sick of discussing it, it’s happening so you need to deal with it in the ways above.

At least you’re aware of the changes and that’s the key point here is that communication seems to have pulsed out through the audio world. Those living under a rock may get caught out, perhaps.

Let’s look forward to newer MIDI 2.0 implementations with VST3, improved CPU efficiency, DAW stability and hope more developers use VST3 specific features.

3 Likes

Cubase 12 has to be released this month or latest first week of March if a strong sales strategy is in place. Steinberg never disappoints with releases so expecting great things in Version 12.

1 Like

i believe all Beta tests made and it is in release candidate state (RC)
anyway, hope beside the new license there are many improvements and taking cubase to more efficient and easier modern workflow

1 Like

5 Likes

funny

2 Likes

I agree. What I love about VST2, is that it allows me to categorize folders by manufacturer.
VST3 is really messy, you can create folders, but they’re all still categorized by function in Cubase/Nuendo, which I personally myself don’t really prefer all that much.

And also, there are VST3s from some manufacturers that are still buggy as shit.

2 Likes

I very much agree.

2 Likes

What do you mean by folders? VST3s are normally all beeing installed in Programs/Common (Windows).

In Cubase Mediabay you can select “order by Manufacturer” for VST3s and it shows every instrument or FX by manufacturer and not by function then. You can even create your own categories. So no problem here… or did I understand you wrong.

2 Likes

Here’s a fact: how many hundreds of dollars or euros have you invested in UAD/UNIVERSAL AUDIO gear and plug-ins? I guess maybe you haven’t, that’s why you are not aware that once Cubase stops supporting VST2, everyone who has invested a large amount of money in UAD units and their plug-ins, those would become obsolete, unavailable, and there are no plans from UAD to move to VST3, you can ask the technical support yourself, or even the customer support directly and ask for it. I encourage anyone who doubts it, user or not, to ask UAD directly about this topic, I am not going to copy paste an email from UAD here for privacy reasons until I have their approval to do so.

You guess wrong, although VST2 is an old format, it is precisely his developmental age that makes it more stable, if you think that VST3 is stable, you are wrong, since in this case there is still a lot of instability in the VST3 versions that exist in the brands market, however the question was directly for @Matthias_Quellmann, since he could give a broader and more accurate answer than your guess.

The post you quote from my old bug report, since you have reached to my post from 5 years ago to give any kind of answer, was actually about a direct problem related to a Cubase 9 bug, this wasn’t an issue coming from the plug-ins and it was solved by Cubase in his following versions as this issue didn’t happened again after some update… Therefore, once again, your argument is valid but not accurate. :man_shrugging:

The latter about ID is interesting, and I didn’t know it was possible, however there are many plug-ins that even if they are active it is unlikely that they may not develop a VST3 version, such is the case of UAD.

2 Likes

UAD is definitely the big issue here for me and many others. I have way too much invested in them between hardware and software to ignore this. UA’s apparent apathy towards the topic is especially worrisome: all their attention seems to be focused elsewhere these days.

4 Likes