When is Cubase 12 coming out

Regardless of why the policy exists, or how people choose to take advantage of it or not, it is indeed the company’s choice to have it or to discontinue it. It’s a marketing feature, and imo, pretty generous. It is possible to, for example, buy an unused activation code cheaply from an earlier version on ebay or wherever, and when activating the code get a license for the current version. Even if it’s a 10-year-old code.

This time around they have used the grace period to mitigate customers’ possible displeasure by providing a cheaper update path, with more license instances, plus, for those updating, the ability to keep the license from which they updated. So now we can have up to four instances running simultaneously – one licensed by the dongle, and three by Steinberg-ID.

As far as the reaction of the 99% of posts in forums on the Internet, this is not proof of anything. Steinberg and others periodically have to do rewrites that are difficult for customers, and people complain loudly about it – think 1999-2000 from Cubase VST to Cubase SX 1. It took years to flesh out that software, yet here we are two decades later Cubendo is still alive and kicking, and it’s your favorite DAW software.

While you’re certainly entitled to your opinion, my opinion is that you are mistaken. But the internet is made for complaining, so do carry on.

5 Likes

Do you realize that in this aspect we are talking about the same thing?.. It is precisely my point… I buy the “point five”, to get a cheaper major versions, I have even skipped 3 versions when a major is not of my interest… My point is, at least Steinberg should offer a discount for those who will not be able to use a grace period due a missing point five, but it seems that you still don’t understand despite having explained it more than 4 times…

Where do you get those eBay codes by the way?..

You probably think so because you did not realize that it is so important the opinion that Steinberg users have on Facebook as when Steinberg announced about the new type of license and the periodic activation per month with internet connection, Steinberg had to make some changes to this new idea due the 99% of users against this move, everything is documented and you can find it even in the statements of Steinberg, is that not a proof?.. The same could happen with the “decision” of not supporting VST2, many pro studios depend on VST2 sometimes it is necessary to open old projects because the customer needs it, it is a business thing. On the other hand, Universal Audio is a company that sells quite expensive products, and for development issues that you can ask yourself to UAD technical support, I doubt very much that they make VST3 versions of their products, there are many disadvantages in not supporting VST2 that can cause an economic fall to Steinberg due many users in disagreement, a big percent of the users do not appear on this forum, but on Facebook, which is another type of forum too, so I don’t think I’m so mistaken in this matter, Steinberg relies on users who upgrade year after year and this is indeed a really bad move… at least they scheduled 2 years to think about it.

1 Like

Well, that escalated quickly. Here are some information that may help:

Grace Period

The Grace Period exists for two reasons:
We think it’s fair to give customers who bought Cubase just a few days before a release of a new version the update for free.

It’s easier for our retail partners to sell the products that are still on stock when a new version is released. A Cubase Pro 10 Box will get you Cubase Pro 12 license when Cubase Pro is released.

That’s it.

The GP is not meant to be an incentive for users to skip versions to save update costs.

Update costs
The update from Cubase Pro 11 to Cubase Pro 12 will be €99.

VST 2
There have been a lot discussion in various forums and social media channels. And there have been a lot of misinterpretation and false information. Let me assure you that we are in contact with many major plug-in developers and support many of them in the transition. Their feedback is way more positive and constructive towards VST3 compared to the dystopia that is described in some forums. Some announce that the VST3 versions are on the roadmap, some don’t. It’s up to plug-in manufacturers to make their plans public or not.

Release date
Cubase 12 will be released on……wait! We never pre-announce the release date of Cubase, do we? It won’t be in October though.

17 Likes

Will the month have the letter “e”?

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply! €99? Was expecting more, so happy camper here

1 Like

Maybe week of 5 of November then- As previous years.

1 Like

While that would be close enough to my birthday to be a nice present… I’d rather not! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

You see that “on”? That means this month. If it was to be released in April, for example, one would say, in April. But “on” is used like “on the 16th”.

3 Likes

how about “on November 16th”?:slight_smile:
you guys are more crazy than my children before xmas…

4 Likes

And note the 6 dots in the ellipsis - 6 days from now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Your deductive skills are incredible!

2 Likes

No, that date is for 12.5. (and it will be confusing if cubase 12.5 is released before cubase 12.0)

1 Like

It so great to see the conversation become fact-based!

3 Likes

Thats fair.

Thanks for the previous clarifications regarding the grace period,

On the other hand, from my point of view I still consider that to stop supporting VST2, is a not very considerate move for Steinberg users, in the sense that many studios that support updates, depend on old projects that use VST2 where they are required to reopen some of those projects even after 2 years or more, (I’m talking more about Nuendo), however, in Cubase happens too, sometimes is need it to open older projects, I guess the solution will be to have the latest version that supports VST2 installed, in addition to the VST3 update.

However, Steinberg have been in contact with UAD?.. and on the other hand, all instruments will already have side chain input with VST3?

I think that when the change happens in favor of VST3, with Cubase 13 for example, a solution could be to give us the option to download two V13, one that supports only VST3 and another one that supports both VST3 and VST2…

Maybe you can help us to clarify a little more why decided to make this change that does not support VST2, what are the advantages? some developers still have VST3 versions too buggy…

5 Likes

Because of instability issues with out-dated VST2’s such as this I guess?

I mean, VST2 has reached it’s expiry in terms of support a while back, and yet there’s still another 24 months to play out. So by no means overnight switch off.

I agree the initial announcement was a little bit of a wake up call that many of us had been sleeping on, I Was initially a little upset… But really, when you process it all rationally, the active third party developers need to pull their fingers out.

For those plugins that are no longer developed, projects that contains them you should ideally be backing up to audio stems as a minimum archive requirement anyway, future projects you can just run a VST2 bridge. Or, retain an older build of Cubase. The solution is really that simple.

C12 on it’s own may happily run on whatever O/S is current in 4/5+ years, for example, so it’s not like you NEED a dongle for legacy projects either.

Developers that are still active then you need to contact them or open a ticket and make it clear you’re expecting a VST3 version to continue with their products. Also explain that if possible you want the ID to be preserved so that VST3 equivalents load in the place of VST2 - I’ve been through all of mine and sent tickets, emails, social media @'s - everything! And most have replied positively. :slight_smile:

But, this is has been discussed on other threads multiple times now - I think most people are just sick of discussing it, it’s happening so you need to deal with it in the ways above.

At least you’re aware of the changes and that’s the key point here is that communication seems to have pulsed out through the audio world. Those living under a rock may get caught out, perhaps.

Let’s look forward to newer MIDI 2.0 implementations with VST3, improved CPU efficiency, DAW stability and hope more developers use VST3 specific features.

3 Likes

Cubase 12 has to be released this month or latest first week of March if a strong sales strategy is in place. Steinberg never disappoints with releases so expecting great things in Version 12.

1 Like

i believe all Beta tests made and it is in release candidate state (RC)
anyway, hope beside the new license there are many improvements and taking cubase to more efficient and easier modern workflow

1 Like

5 Likes

funny

2 Likes

I agree. What I love about VST2, is that it allows me to categorize folders by manufacturer.
VST3 is really messy, you can create folders, but they’re all still categorized by function in Cubase/Nuendo, which I personally myself don’t really prefer all that much.

And also, there are VST3s from some manufacturers that are still buggy as poop.

2 Likes