When is WL 9 coming out?

Is this in the works or a long way off? Just wondering? Thanks in advance.

It is in the work for more than 1 year, and a few more months are needed.

Video Please!
Wavelab is the best mastering platform, hands down!
A lot of the work I do today is released on CD, Vinil, DVD and Bludisk. It’s awkward, to say the least, to have to switch to a different platform during a session to allow the client to here how it goes with the video…
Always worth mentioning: PG is the man! Thanks for the great software!

Anymore news on WL 9?

One thing that would be very nice…if it is even possible, is to have the old WL 6 interface available as an option. I really miss that interface.

Why not just install and use v6 then? I assume it would run just fine.

For me personally - if WL9 has any reminders of any old outdated interface elements - that will be it for me.

What’s it been - 10 years of users wondering when this app is actually going to get a decent interface going?

VP

I only started with WL with version 7 for Mac but I know a bit about the V6 features and can’t imagine working with it. I see how some layouts and concepts might be more popular in WL6 but the lack of DDP, and excellent file tagging/metadata in WL 8.5 would be a deal breaker for me.

Aside from some regular crashes from 3rd party plugins, WL 8.5.30 is pretty solid for me here. I mostly use Pro Tools for play/capture and RX4 clean up though, and only rely on WaveLab for final album assembly, and final audio tweaks per song and then final limiting/dither etc.

I originally made a custom layout to mimic the Wavelab 6 montage layout (the same tabs from WL6 across the entire horizontal space - with no split tabs), but ended up not using it. You could probably customize in the Audio File workspace to get it more like Wavelab 6 as well. Just take some screenshots of Wavelab 6 and then start moving and deleting stuff in Wavelab 8. But I agree, It would be nice if there were such layout presets built into the next version.

What I do miss from Wavelab 6 is having floating montages and audio files all in the same space. Don’t really like the separate workspaces. And the smaller more compact Master Section from Wavelab 6.

But I would think Wavelab 9 is probably what it is already if work has been going on a year. So just waiting to see.

I remember hating the WL7 GUI, everything was wrong :slight_smile: Then I figured out how to reposition stuff, and suddenly it all made sense. 8 works even better, and I can zip around doing work. Granted, it’s a bit of a learning curve, it doesn’t really function like other software packages–then again, anyone who’s ever tried their hand on, say QuarkXpress (love it, btw), Adobe Premiere, hell, MSWord for that matter, will have to learn the guis. Not that WL is perfect, far from it, but it is, IMHO, eminently workable. 6 was simple and understandable, but I wouldn’t want to go back.

r,
j,

I tried installing WL6 on Windows 7 over the weekend. All I get is “Unknown Texception” when I try and run it. Anyone else had better luck??? This is a person who had a similar experience unknown TException - WaveLab - Steinberg Forums and never got an answer when they posted their question. I do have WL installed on my XP partition on my hard drive so I can run it using Windows XP.

One thing I have noticed over the years that you and I have been on this forum is that you keep asking for a more modern GUI interface. Can you site some examples of what you would like to see and some programs that currently have a more “decent” interface. I would really like to know. Thanks.

How about every other program that I use :slight_smile:

Outstanding examples of very good UIs can be found in Studio One (v3), the latest Nuendo/Cubase and especially iZoTope RX4 Advanced - which for me is closer to home for an “editing” environment to stay akin to what Wavelab does.

WL’s UI is sadly rooted in the distant Windows 95 past and even v7 and v8 have done nothing to bring it into a modern world. v7 for me was a disaster with it’s “workspaces” and every piece of the UI suddenly changing anytime you clicked on anything.

Even today with v8.5 - I am so concerned with ruining my standard audio file editing workflow - that I never click on anything outside my single workspace - like forever. I am certain I missing out on a bunch of cool stuff - but this crazy design is about as annoying as I have ever seen.

An EDITOR - should be for editing. Like Photoshop. When you are working on a file (or a group of files) and click on a tool or button - I am never suddenly “taken away” to some foreign land with no indicator on how to return.

WL9 really needs to get current (like 2015 current) and give us a return to ease of displaying it’s two keys environments - EDIT (Audio File Editor) and MIX (“Montage” - still a totally lame name).

I have never ever understood Montage and now do any of that type of assembly work in Studio One’s Project environment - which makes a laughing stock out of the WL Montage.

I still do like Wavelab’s editing ability - but it too is going to be usurped by other better tools if V9 does not deliver.

VP

I agree with this… I don’t like having two separate workspaces either. I miss this from earlier versions of Wavelab.

Also, I found setting up and positioning meters much much easier in earlier versions… I would just put them where I want them - anywhere on the screen, and they would always stay there. Now? It is not so simple… They are either in windows, or they are floating, and they sometimes don’t seem to open where I left them… They have sidebars or headers and take up more screen space. I miss the simplicity of this from earlier version of Wavelab.

Did you install the latest version 6.1.1? And latest elicenser software. No problem here on Win 7 64.

Thomas, I do have a function WL6 on my Windows 7 PC, though I haven’t touched it in a great while, and I ‘installed’ it a long time ago.

If I remember correctly, the way I got it functioning was by taking a complete copy of the installed version of WL6 from another (at that time Windows XP) computer, and pasting it in the appropriate place on the W7 PC. BTW, I didn’t invent the trick, I got it somehow from this forum.

I would not want to be without the DDP and metadata features either. WL8 has many new and powerful features which are awesome and earn PG the “DAW Cordon Bleu” award! None of us WL veterans are complaining about these features.

It is the UI that is troubling us. I can report that after a year with WL8, nobody in our two studios has acclimated to the Workspace UI model. Frankly, everybody FCKNG HATES IT!!

I will add to the voices here that a WL6(ish) UI mode would be welcome.

I am a HUGE v6 fan.

I am enjoying the best of both worlds now.

I have v6 and v8 installed. I use v6 for tracking (record to montage track, overdubs) - have been for years and haven’t had the time or energy to test out the same procedure on v8 yet (v8 didn’t have record to montage feature for a while). V6 is so easy and familiar that I just keep going back to it for critical montage overdub/ recording. I use v8 for all other production, assembly and conversions. Both work fantastic on my Win 7 64bit machine. Granted v8 took some getting used to, but it’s HIGHLY configurable and I’m sure I will be moving my tracking sessions to v8 as soon I have a free moment. :slight_smile:

You do have to spend some time with v8, but you can definitely make it look “familiar” and you may enjoy some of the config options. It took me a year to sit down and configure it to my liking - very little down time in my world.

It’s worth the time though.

E

I, too, love WL8.

Personally, I customized the UI so it had the feel of 6 but with ‘more’.

The idea of the separate screens with the simple F5/ribbon button to switch. This is logical and appealing to me personally … but I started with PT so that probably accounts for that.

So I hear that WL 9 is in the Beta Test mode. I also heard that it may “solve” a lot of the problems with WL 8. I certainly hope so. I assume this means it will be out in the first or second quarter of 2016???

FWIW

I’m pretty psyched for the new version of Wavelab. Any fixes are always welcome, but just some of the new feature ideas that have been tossed around here in the forum - some of those are very exciting! Looking forward to the upcoming release! :slight_smile:

-Todd

Whilst I remain 100% skeptic (unfortunately) that the new release will again be rooted in the past (UI) - it is always fun to dream that it might actually get a completely new, logical, work friendly 2015-16 concept.

VP

Hmmmm … I did a trial with Studio One to see what it was like. I can’t say that the UI there had much appeal to me.

Pro Tools and Reaper look and feel better than that (to me anyway).

And therein lies the issue: we don’t all find the same things, appealing.