When is WL 9 coming out?

Each to their own. But it’s not Studio One that is the issue here.

It’s Wavelab and it’s UI being stuck in the 90’s.

VP

I said it before and I’ll say it again; I couldn’t care less how it looks. As long as the functionality is there - and with Wavelab, the functionality is still better than many others.

I have no issue with the functions (when they work). But the workflow has killed me in the last two releases (v7/8)

This jarring “workspace” vibe where you click on something and the entire screen disappears (or changes) has got to go.

It has gotten so bad for me that within v8 - I have just two “workspaces” now (after weeks of trial and error) that I am terrified to touch - for fear of ruining them and sending myself off onto another weird spiral trapped in WL :slight_smile:

Clearly I do not “get” this part of the program or understand how anyone could use it in day to day operations.

VP

I can’t fathom using Wavelab or even Cubase with one monitor. I’m using 4 21-inch monitors side by side and can’t help but think both applications sort of require this for any fast workflow use.

I too am excited about version 9. Automation…finally!

That’s a nice vintage looking keyboard, Greggybud! :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes. Exactly. And with reliability.

:laughing:
I have used Oberheim MC3000 and CME VX8 in the past, both hammer action controllers and I would prefer either over the Studio Logic VMK-188plus. There isn’t a huge difference among the 3. All of them are relatively heavy, but the VMK-188plus huge shortcoming is huge velocity gaps compared to others. Oberheim MC3000…good luck even finding one. CME VX8…most are probably bricks by now.

Functionality? Are you kidding yourself? We all had better be thankful PG is in the captains chair because I don’t think Steinberg prioritizes functionality or even workflow over the “features” in Cubase that apparently sell new DAWS. It isn’t about making key commands work. It isn’t about adding a simple feature like mix undo. It’s all about adding stuff that will appeal to newbies regardless of a 3rd party doing it better. Core functionality and improved workflow only appeal to crusty old farts trying to get stuff done quicker. Maybe we should just be thankful Wavelab isn’t competing with the DAWS.

I don’t use any other Steinberg products so I don’t look at those forums, but I’m very thankful for PG’s presence here. I’m not sure if other Steinberg developers are as active on Cubase/Nuendo forums.

I was refering to the keyboard you use when you write on this forum. I haven’t seen such beige/yellow white ones in ages. :laughing:

No, I’m not kidding myself. And I’m not aware of any Cubase or even Steinberg related remark from me in this topic. But you apparently needed something off your chest, hope it helped.

LOL. Wrong again. My project studio is not connected to the internet. The keyboard on the left is only used for a Windows 98 PC running a very old MOTU Unisyn while I make a 2-year library transfer from Unisyn to MidiQuest11. I had thousands of tagged patches in Unisyn. My studio keyboard is the blue back lit one under the QconPro.

It does help to get it off my chest. But it seems to always build up again. :laughing:
My point is that I’m grateful PG is in control instead of Steinberg.

But who do you think pays PG? No offense but Yamaha and Steinberg are IN CONTROL by the mere fact that they pay PG so YES they are in control.

Thomas, do you use Cubase 8 on a daily basis?

While IMO it’s the most feature-rich DAW of any available, and the best for what I do, it still has poor shortcomings. Like any DAW, they have to cater to the prosumer market which unfortunately means continually adding new features. There is nothing wrong with that but resources are always limited. Some old features never get fixed. Core functions suffer. Workflow suffers. And those “boring” features such as mix undo are seemingly low priority while they outsource an improved version of Loop Mash. They want to call it “pro” yet release broken Mackie MCU upon first release just prior to Christmas.

While you can’t really even compare the two, I don’t see the same historical cycles and issues with Wavelab. I think it is because Steinberg/Yamaha gives much freedom to PG? This, I’m thankful for.

I wouldn’t pretend to know the inner workings of their relationships. I’m only basing my thoughts on how Wavelab has evolved since version 4 and how Cubase has evolved since 1997.

AFAIK, Philippe started Wavelab on his own, with Steinberg only being involved in distribution in the early days. I don’t know how that relationship (or ownership) is now - and I’m sure the two are more intertwined - but it explains the differences in approach. Certainly if you compare earlier versions.

As you know I am a real PG and WL supporter. I have used WL since version 1.6. I have always relied on WL up though version 6. My whole mastering operation is built around its use. When version 7 come out, after it was “ported” to the mac, something changed. Not only was it no longer intuitive to use it started being crash prone. It also did not play nicely with other third party plugins which was a real downer. I thought when version 8 came out that things would change for the better but I was mistaken. With version 8.5.3 WL is no longer a “trusted” piece of software. it crashes and does it when I have mastering clients in the room - not good. I have had many problems with it and I seem not to be able to "fix"them. Now an 8.5.4 patch is coming out and Version 9 is on the way. I finally got around a lot of the problems by going back to version 6 on my Window 7 machine and so far that seems to be stable. I see by reading the forums that I am NOT the only one with problems. I hope version 9 solves the problems and provides a good stable platform that works well with all third party plugins. Only time will tell.

I, too, am anxious for WL9! And that said, I have come to the realization that for my Win7 PC and Steinberg products, if I want to have a good Steinberg experience, I would need to ditch all other plugins except Waves and iZotope. And funny thing, when I ditched all the other oddball plugins that I was trying so to hard like, my recording software improved noticeably. Faster startups, faster shutdowns, and smoother operation. I have decided that only the BIG plugin companies will go the extra mile to create DAW friendly plugins. The other guys are not in the same league, sorry.

I have been using WL6 on my Windows 7 machine and it has been working “flawlessly” for over two weeks. I went back to 8.5.3 and immediately starting having crashes. Not sure what is causing them but…I am tired of dealing with them. I use the FAB plugins and on Wavelab 6 they work well on WL 8.5.3 nothing but problems. I hope WL9 is all we hope it can be.

Hello,

thanks for your interest in the upcoming WaveLab! PG and Steinberg are still working on it.
You can expect a MAJOR step forward in terms of user interface, features and workflow!
It might become the most remarkable WaveLab release for a very long time.

More information on WaveLab Pro 9 and WaveLab Elements 9 will be available in about 8 weeks.

Thanks,
Timo

WOW!!!

Good if true…

I hope it is also more robust and less prone to crashing.