Where to obtain ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver?

I have spent hours searching online and for the life of me I cannot find this driver anywhere!

On my laptop I have:

ASIO Direct Sound Full Duplex Setup - Version 1.0.1.4 - DirectX Version 10.0.19041.1

This works perfectly for my needs, i’ve tried ASIO4ALL, it’s not acceptable for me, I bought a UR12, it was unacceptable, my friend loaned me a pretty expensive audio interface a few years back which I forget the brand, that was also unacceptable.

I’ve recently built a new PC and have installed Cubase 8.5.3, however there is no ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver.

I really need this specific driver and cannot find it anywhere, anyone who knows where I can obtain this will be my new personal hero!

You might give the ODeus ASIO Link Pro a try. It’s free these days and a valid public key is available. Pretty advanced stuff too, including networking abilities locally, or over LAN.

If your audio hardware doesn’t have native ASIO drivers, you’ll still need ASIO4ALL I think.

Hi,

Thanks, but it isn’t doing what I want.(At least I can’t figure it out anyway)

ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver doesn’t exactly what I want/need.

Every other driver locks the audio driver Windows uses so only Cubase can use it. Which is no good for streaming in OBS Studio.

The ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver not only has lower latency than ASIO4ALL and anything else i’ve ever tried, it gives me full access to windows audio while Cubase is running at the same time.

This is what I have on my laptop, but i’ve just built a new PC and it needs the same driver but I cannot find it anywhere.

Good luck.

Do you know the specific audio chip your laptop used? Different chipsets will require different drivers. If your new PC happens to have the exact same audio chip then if you can look in the driverstore of your lap top and extract the drivers do a manual install to your new rig, they ‘might’ work. If it’s not an identical chip-set…not likely.

The reason ASIO4ALL and other similar bridges work is because they create a kind of WDM > ASIO bridge. It can take some buffer tweaking, but it should be possible to get the lowest latency your hardware is capable of delivering, and in some systems this can vary depending on the sampling frequency you’ve set your audio card for (44.1k, 48k something higher?), CPU load, PCIe bandwidth available, etc.

ASIO4ALL shouldn’t lock the drivers to one app unless you have that checked in Cubase preferences. What should be happening is…multiple instances of ASIO4ALL popping up in your control panel. A new one for each app. So…check your settings in Windows itself for the audio device. Make sure it isn’t set to exclusive mode (probably a check box somewhere that allows an app to take exclusive control of the audio device).

ASIO Link is definitely capable of running multiple ASIO clients (even if ASIO4ALL takes the Windows WDM ports in exclusive mode), and can even bridge/patch multiple apps (even non ASIO ones) together (such as send the outs of one app to the ins of another). In this case you wouldn’t get multiple ASIO4ALL instances (just one), but you will get multiple ASIO Link Pro instances, of which you can wire up to the audio device outputs, and/or to the WDM virtual busses as desired. I do agree the learning curve for it is a little steep at first, but it’s really nice once you’ve figured it out.

Here is some information on where windows keeps drivers once they are installed.

If you track it down on your laptop copy the folder with that audio driver to the desktop on your other PC. Use the device manager on the target PC and try ‘updating the driver’. Point it to the folder on your desktop to search for valid drivers. If it doesn’t accept it, then it’s probably simply not compatible with the audio chip-set on the PC. If you know for sure it’s the SAME chip-set, then it ‘might’ be possible to tweak the *.inf file to get it working, but good luck finding the proper tweaks required to get it working.

Hey,

Not entirely sure what audio chip my laptop has, I followed some guide which told me to check the Sound Device in System Information and I get:

Name - Realtek High Definition Audio
Manufacturer - Realtek

But isn’t that just drivers?

I can give you these details:

CASE ~ be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower

MOTHERBOARD ~ Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) ATX AM4

CPU ~ AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core

CPU COOLER ~ be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM

STORAGE 1 ~ Western Digital Black SN850 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD

STORAGE 2 ~ Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" SSD

RAM ~ G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4-3600 CL16

GRAPHICS ~ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

PSU ~ Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX

When you said “unless you have that checked in Cubase preferences”, which exact option is it? The only thing I could find was “Exclusive Device Ports for Monitor Channels” but that doesn’t sound right, I don’t see any option there about locking audio drivers.

Windows has the exclusive control turned off, but when I load Cubase it still takes control and everything outside of Cubase is unresponsive as far as audio is concerned.

Inside that folder FileRepository there are 745 folders… So that’s very overwhelming!

1 Like

Right click your speaker/volume icon on the Windows Task Bar.
Choose Open Sound Settings.
Scroll down to a link that says “Sound Control Panel”

See the big screen shot I edited in a couple of posts back (sorry, it took me a moment to build it an may have added it AFTER you posted this question).

Yeah that one is already unchecked, it’s the Cubase preferences part you mentioned i’m trying to find.

See this is why I want the ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver, it just works straight away.

I even went through this same process about 3 years ago while trying to solve the same problem of unlocking the audio device so Cubase doesn’t take full control.

But yes, that box is unchecked, I don’t see any other option anywhere that should be locking the audio driver to an app, I don’t understand why Cubase even does this because other DAWs such as FL Studio and Reason doesn’t have the same issue.

Sorry, I should have read closer.
In Studio Setup. It’s different from what I remembered but it might be worth a try in different settings.

In my experience, on a few different Systems, ASIO4ALL is usually fine with multiple clients IF those windows settings are NOT set to exclusive mode. ASIO4ALL should look to windows like pretty much any app that accesses WDM devices. Opening multiple apps would simply start a new instance of ASIO4ALL, and stack as many as you need.

Assuming it doesn’t. ASIO Link should still cover you when it comes to using multiple clients. Different ways to go about it too. For me, it opens new instances of the ASIO Link panel for each ASIO app. It is confusing at first, but again, pretty cool once you’ve mastered it. Can patch Windows and ASIO apps together with ease.

I agree. I’ve never had this issue with Cubase, nor Dorico, Sibelius, Finale, etc. on any of my systems. Even with stuff using the motherboard audio and ASIO4ALL.

I’m scratching my head on how it would even be POSSIBLE for Cubase to lock up a WDM driver/port.

“Release Driver when Application is in Background”

When I check this, it makes the rest of windows work but then the output is inactive in Cubase, in order to get it working in Cubase again I need to switch audio drivers and switch back to activate it.

I see. I do believe you very much so. Frustrating stuff too!

Do you have ASIO4ALL in advanced mode? Maybe it’s something in there. Possibly even installation options. BTW…I usually keep an ASIO4ALL installer handy on the desktop in case something gets hung with it, need remove or reinstall it, etc.

Not sure what you mean by advanced mode, there are advanced settings in the Device Setup / VST Audio System, but no combination i’ve tried seems to work.

I really need the ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver, that is the only solution i’ve ever found for this problem. I guess i’ll have to keep searching for this driver somewhere, it’s very puzzling to me why it’s so impossible to find when it works so well.

Using this ASIOLinkPro I can listen to desktop stuff now and play in Cubase, but OBS Studio still won’t pick up Cubase.

Is OBS Studio ASIO or WDM?

IF ASIO, then enable the LOOPER loopback racks. Then you can get the signal to the output(s) you desire. Send it from OBS Studio to the Link Outputs desired. Then go to the looper, then to the audio device outputs you like.

If it’s WDM, make sure to connect the outputs of OBS to one of the ASIO Link input drivers. Then you can connect that to the audio outputs you desire.

I honestly don’t know… I’ll come back to this later anyway I need to sleep it’s like 6:30am and i’m beginning to get a wee bitty annoyed! Thanks for the help i’ll come back to this later!

An example setup here of 3 DAWS connected to the router. The intent will be to route Dorico and Nero Wave into the Cubase Mixing console.
Dorcio (ASIO)
Cubase (ASIO)
Nero Wave Editor (WDM)

In this case my Delta 1010 Audio interface is using the first 12 inputs and outputs of the ASIO Link Router. To give myself more routing flexiblity I’ll avoid using any direct connections to my Delta 1010 for now.

I’ll set up Dorico to use ASIO Link outputs 15 & 16.
doricoout

I’ll set up Cubase to use ASIO Link channels 17 and 18 for outputs, and channels 17 - 20 for inputs.

I’ll set up Nero Wave to use the 3rd set of ASIO Link WDM devices.
nerowaveinout

In the main asiolinktool.exe instance of the ASIO Link Router I’ll connect the ASIO outputs from Dorico and Cubase to the LOOPER OUT matrix (ASIO DRIVER OUT MIX 15-18).
Since Everything is going through the Cubase Mixer first, and then to my speakers, I’ll connect Cubase to my speakers (LOOPER IN 17 & 18 > ASIO DRIVER OUT MIX 1 & 2).
I’ll also send the Cuebase Control Room outputs into Nero Wave where I can record in that app from Cubase.

With both Dorico and Nero Wave instances running, I’ll go to the Window’s System Tray and open the ASIO Link Router that belongs to Cubase,
asiolinkcubasetrayfind
and connect Outputs from Dorico and Nero Wave to the Cubase inputs.

At this point I now have Dorico and Nero Wave coming into my Cubase Mixing Console. I can hear Cuebase and everything coming into its Mixer through the speakers connected to outputs 1 & 2 on my Delta 1010. I can also record the mains going out from the Cubase Control Room inside Nereo Wave.

If I wanted, I could also route and send this over to another PC (up to 16 channels) that’s also running ASIO Link over my LAN, and also take some audio into here FROM that PC as well.

The ASIO Link Pro was working to get sound out from Cubase and listen to stuff on Windows.

I just couldn’t get the sound into OBS Studio, do you have any suggestions there that could help please?