Which are you using more Instrument Track or Instrument Rack

Which are you using more often in Cubase 7.5 ?

• Instrument Rack
  • Instrument Track 2.0

0 voters

Hi,

Now that Cubase 7.5 has added the new Instrument Track (2.0) option.

Which option are you using more, or feel offers better workflow,

Instrument Track (2.0) or Instrument Rack for your VSTs ? and any comments, or the main reason you are using one, over the other option would be interesting to know.

I have added a Poll to help get a better picture of which one is used more often in Cubase 7.5

Thanks,
Muziksculp

Aloha M,
Track Instruments here but I call them ‘Instrument Tracks’.

Same thing? If so read on. If not, ma bad.

Upside:
1-Speed:
From scratch: much quicker to set-up and start to perform.
(or course templates make this moot)

2-Total flexibility.
I treat each track like a separate ‘player’ in the
orchestra and by using one VSTi for each I have total control.

Downside:
This way uses way more cpu juice but in most cases todays 'puters can
easily handle a ‘typical’ 24/48 track session.

{‘-’}

haven’t used the rack since they bought in the track …
i wish you could stack track instruments tho …

Same here… still waiting for MIDI Sends on Instrument Tracks.

I just seem to be using rack instruments out of habit. Still living in the dark ages here, but maybe I should be checking out this new feature!

Hi curteye,

Thanks for the feedback. and Yes, you are correct, It was too late for me when I posted this, I had the names reversed :laughing: (corrected it in my post).

Oh … and the difference between Rack and Track is just a (T)

You mentioned that Instrument Tracks (2.0) use more CPU than the Instrument Rack. I have not checked this, but if it does, I wonder why ?

and … Yes, I am also finding it faster to use Instrument Track (2.0) than using the Instrument Rack.

I wonder if the Instrument Rack will remain in version 8 ?

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Interesting ! I didn’t check that out. I would guess it isn’t that difficult to add MIDI sends to Instrument Tracks, maybe in the next update.

It would be very cool to have MIDI sends on Instrument Tracks.

Thanks for the feedback,
Muziksculp

+1 for Midi Sends on Instrument Track.

I use way more instrument Rack.

Mainly because with instrument Track cubase treats it as one entire unit/group…

Problem with that for me is if i need to solo a midi track… it’ll solo/mute all the midi tracks within it. Havent found any way around this besides doing this as racks… Also, sometimes for the sake of time i’ll simple right click duplicate a midi track. Cant do this with Instrument Tracks as it will create an entirely new vst…

I realize its supposed to be a workflow enhancement… so maybe im missing something.

:slight_smile:

That probably explains something I experienced with a recent project. I had started the project on 7.0, so had two multi-timbral synths in the old Instrument Rack. But when I migrated the project to 7.5 I started using Instrument Tracks for multi-timbral with all the new parts. I do remember several times being surprised by the results when muting tracks (parts I didn’t expect to be muted were), so I wonder if it was because I was using Tracks instead of Racks. Will pay more attention to this next time I’ve got a use for a multi-timbral instrument.

[/quote]
That probably explains something I experienced with a recent project. I had started the project on 7.0, so had two multi-timbral synths in the old Instrument Rack. But when I migrated the project to 7.5 I started using Instrument Tracks for multi-timbral with all the new parts. I do remember several times being surprised by the results when muting tracks (parts I didn’t expect to be muted were), so I wonder if it was because I was using Tracks instead of Racks. Will pay more attention to this next time I’ve got a use for a multi-timbral instrument.[/quote]

– I would def say its because of the Racks vs tracks. I found out a similar way after writing an entire session and not being able to understand why i couldnt solo a midi, or why it kept creating new vst instruments every time i duplicated a midi track…

Racks are supposed to be a help, but with being able to right click add midi to a midi track and it also automatically changing to the next channel, i dont see why the use of racks. But again, i could be missing something. …

Rack Inst. Could you make this into a poll?

Mike.

Hi,

Good idea. Poll added :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Muziksculp

This is why I use Instrument Tracks.

Example:
I use 1 VSTi for an open hi-hat, when I solo that track, all I hear is open hi-hat.
As I posted before, this way gives me total control like in an old school tape based studio.

{‘-’}

Exactly… +1 for instrument track

I use the instrument rack almost exclusively except for a few minor sounds for which I use instrument tracks. I will be using more instrument tracks for my new projects because of quick controls I find it makes life easier to have them separated in the rack.

+1000

The instrument track is great but for one thing. Some VSTi’s seem to switch off and you can’t get sound back/ Kontact is one that I have to use the rack with. This is a shame as the track is much more convenient.

I hear ya and totally agree.

3rd party stuff often throws curves into the workflow.
{‘-’}

Does someone know if you still need the Instrument Rack for midi generating plugins or is it now possible to use such a plugin on an Instrument Track ?