Why is score editor so horrible?

Ive been working with cubase for over 10 years. I have never used the score editor and have never needed to until recently. When i converted my midi notes to music notation in the score editor (With quantize), i was shocked. It looks like a masterpiece, but nothing related to music. How is it that we are in 2022, with Cubase 12 pro, and the score editor is still so horrible?

2 Likes

On the contrary, I think it’s great, as do many others.

Probably, if you can actually specify what problems you experience you will get some help.

Quite possibly your experience can be improved by reading the first couple of chapters of the Score manual Score Layout and Printing

2 Likes

Perhaps a Jackson Pollock then…?

Dots and dashes everywhere, in tangled like a marriage between ants. I feel scared to even learn how to fix it, its so beautiful…

Yeah… If only there was a tutorial for the latest version of the editor, as the terms and titles of the tools in it are completely foreign to me, and something about watching a YouTube video tutorial from 3 years ago makes me feel nostalgic when the days before COVID people had the time to make tutorials calmly without the trauma of a global pandemic.

Steve,

It can be great, but like Musinix7, I’m struggling with the manual that’s more a reference than a comprehensive guide. I can’t find any good tutorial about score editor. Also I can’t understand how so simple things like change the background color with a RGB drop down option is not implemented, a simple change in the C++ code that could be done and reviewed in less than a working day. The impression Steinberg passes to me is that Score editor has no importance at all in the Cubase roadmap. On the other hand, Dorico is amazing as Score editor but unable to do a tenth of what Cubase can.

Other than contributors like you, we are abandoned and completely ignored by the Cubase team.

Regards

2 Likes

Hi @Orlando_Hehl_Santos

I agree the Score Editor is not for everyone - it has its quirks. And while there wasn’t anything new in Cubase 12 for the Score editor, over the past few versions there have been significant improvements.

It sounds, from what you are saying that you’re new to both programs. Could you post a question in a new topic about a specific thing you want to do? There are several active forum members who answer such queries.

Not really.

2 Likes

The question asked in the title of this topic really isn’t valid. It’s like asking “why is <insert famous name> such an a-hole?” it assumes facts not in evidence (that the score editor is horrible). For this reason I will close the topic. Of course, all are welcome to post new topics, and you can link to this topic if you like. see Forum Guide