Why isn't there a Nuage Section?

So in reality Nuage is Nuendo-only?

If you expect to take full advantage of all the functionality Nuage offers, without using Nuendo, then this is correct. Simply because all of the extra functionality Nuage offers (compared to other systems/protocols) is provided/powered by Nuendo.

If that is not what you are looking for, then you’ll have to look into the solutions Eucon-based hardware offers.

Fredo

Hi Fredo,

you partly missunderstood me.
I do not ask for a lower price, I think in this segment it is absolutely OK.
And I do not ask for control-room functionality.

My argument just is, that in this price-segment I want to have more than HUI-compatibilty to my second main-daw. There remains a better plugin-control with my 70$ novation controller (OK, no AAX there, atm).

So for those of us, who use Nuendo more as a personal luxury when working on a complete project in house, but who have to use Pro Tools when having to be compatible to Mixing-, Foley-, other Editing-Suites (which is majority in my case), it might be more worthy to invest additional 10k for those Eucon-machines.

And that’s a pity, cause I would prefer a Nuage with its perfect Nuendo-integration (+ a proper, still professional PT-Support) over a vice versa system.

I do agree, but unfortunately Avid keeps the Eucon protocol for their own controllers.
Do they have something that would work for you, since Nuendo can be controlled by Eucon hardware …

Fredo

So for those of us, who use Nuendo more as a personal luxury

In this situation i would not buy something from a third party that is using a proprietary protocol.

Because you’ll certainly never make your buy financially profitable if your are using it for personal projects, it seems to me important to buy something that will last as long as possible.

So obviously the best thing is perhaps to buy low cost devices, so that you don’t loose too much money when they become unsupported, or buy something from the company producing the DAW so that you get a good support. In this regard the Nuage system is certainly safer than Eucon solutions, and you should get a tighter support / faster updates when Nuendo will upgrade.

Because each DAW is different, and because there is no real modern and open standard for control surface protocols and general design rules, you’ll always have problems or missing functionalities when buying third party hardware.

I have a couple more questions for the Nuage system :

1. The Nuage analog I/O interface (Nio500-A16) seems limited to 20 KHz bandwidth. Is there a good reason for that ?
    This seems quite strange for a 192 KHz sample rate capable interface because other i/o products in the Yamaha Range do have a 40 KHz bandwidth for 96 KHz sample rate (for example the AD8HR AD converter) and we can see products in the market with near 100 KHz bandwidth for 192 KHz sample rate.

I can understand that 20 KHz bandwidth will be enough for post work, but for music this seems a limitation. A switchable analog input filter would have been interesting.

1. It seems according to the manual that the inputs on this unit are not switchable to Microphone levels and there is no Phantom powering.
    Then is there a remotely controllable microphone input unit in the Yamaha range (or third party) well suited to complete the Nuage I/O system ? Is it possible to control inputs gains and phantom powering from the Nuage control surface ?
  1. Where do you get that? It is not because the frequency response between 20Hz and 20kHz is mentioned that the unit is limited @ 20kHz. It’s more or less flat up to that frequency, that’s all.
    Unless I am missing something …

2. An I/O unit is not the same as a Mic Preamp with additional AD converter. So, to me it is pretty normal that there are no Mic inputs available since you’ll mostly need Line I/O’s anyway.
    You can use the AD8HR though. Which is fully controllable from within Nuage.

Fredo

I found a new (to me, anyway) video. - YouTube

Heildream, I own the Nuage JLCooper joystick model. I absolutely love it. To answer your question, push the “Null” button on the JLCooper surface and the panner will activate in place rather than jumping. Without the “Null” button, the panner will jump pan to the position where the joystick is currently.

If you are not a joystick person, the touch screen on the Master section of the Nuage pans just fine!

Cheers,
Jeremiah