Will anyone miss Waves?

Wow, what a bomb to drop here. Talking about taking a dump on their loyal customers…

This is what happens when a company reaches the end of its road.

Nothing more to invent or sell, so they started giving stuff away, and then realized, “oh hang on, we can’t make millions like this”. And so here is a decision for a model that seems to be business suicide.

There is way too much competition out there.

Plugin Alliance does it right, and so do a few other companies.

Enjoy the exodus, Waves Audio…

PS, prepare for an equally insane move by orchestral sound libraries…

2 Likes

I’ve got 11 of their plugins. Will not miss any of them. Though you still own all the plugins that you purchased so if you need them no problem.

2 Likes

Scheps Omni Channel Strip was really the perfect plugin I used on every project. I’ll regret it but never will I rent plugins.
Melda plugins are a very good, yet ugly, alternative.

2 Likes

I guess, it depends on the “pro” use case:

• For artistic work, where major goals include self expression and crafty uniqueness, it would seem to make little sense.
  • For mass production work, where the priority is large quantities of bland, inoffensive and just “good enough” output with the least effort, this can make considerable business sense.

I create music with the hope to have unique “me” in it. – So I’m no longer the target market for Waves. But someone, who needs to cut quick jingles, elevator music, YouTube background tracks or corporate PowerPoint background music for monkey dances may find the new technology attractive and the price point acceptable.

The company is “pivoting” and past and current customers no longer matter. If that works for them, will be an interesting story to follow. But I’m not longer a tiny part of the future Waves story.

2 Likes

True , good point well made

Yep we are but tiny amounts but these tiny amounts add up , it’s interesting to follow . Lets see what the CEO says , whether he makes a statement about the abrupt termination of allowing people to use their technology in future without subbing

1 Like

Crappy business practices going on over there, for sure!

I’m happy I never bit onto the Waves hook. But, I feel sorry for those that did.

I read through their forum post last night. Entertaining in a horrific kind of way … :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

Softube wasting no time throwing shade

This is the main banner ad on Gearspace today.

3 Likes

I unsubscribed from all emails, deleted my credit cards from my account, and am working on replacing Waves plugins in my templates.
I’m done with Waves.

2 Likes

Nor are SSL with their new Rent -to- Own :wink: Tut ta Waves :wave:

3 Likes

That’s a bit drastic , i’ll carry on using what i own until they stop working , then i’ll be looking elsewhere , no drama here

3 Likes
5 Likes

They’ll take some time to break on PC vst3 , but it’s good to have a plan ‘B’

1 Like

It’s horrific, people bought thousands of pounds worth of plugins.

They had to pay to upgrade, apparently one is eligible to keep using the bought and owned plugins but once they are “out of date” that’s the end of the road.

Wow Waves, talking about shooting your own foot.

There are other companies that have the same stuff, people will flee the company…

1 Like

Fact that they pulled this overnight gives me no trust in them as a company. Even if they u-turn the decision in some way, i’m done.

5 Likes

They just backtracked…

'Over the past few days, many of you have expressed concerns about our decision to discontinue perpetual plugin licenses and our move to an exclusive plugin subscription model. I would like to start by apologizing for the frustration we have caused many of you, our loyal customers. We understand that our move was sudden and disruptive, and did not sufficiently take into consideration your needs, wishes, and preferences. We are genuinely sorry for the distress it has caused.

After respectfully listening to your concerns, I want to share with you that we are bringing back the perpetual plugin license model, side-by-side with the new subscriptions. You will again be able to get plugins as perpetual licenses, just as before.

In addition, those of you who already own perpetual licenses will once again be able to update your plugins and receive a second license via the Waves Update Plan—again, just as before. This option, too, will be available alongside and independently of the subscription program’.

2 Likes

Yes, just read it on SOS as well.
But I am afraid some heavy damage was done to the brand name …

3 Likes

OOOhh that took a long time
Waves Audio - Dear Waves community, My name is Meir Shashoua,… | Facebook

Of course they did…

How can such big, powerful corporations be so, so very stupid it really is beyond me…

Plugin Alliance does something similar with the right to own when you reach a certain level of subscription payments.

In all honesty, Plugin Alliance and 8DIO are the most exemplary companies for rewarding loyal customers, Waves, take notes…

People power!

Everybody can now go back to hating on Waves, just as before. :stuck_out_tongue:

But only paid $29.99!