Will anyone miss Waves?

Sorry, I didn’t get that…

Well, I personally don’t hate Waves, but that was a terrible move, good they backtracked…

Just pointing out that nobody pays full price for Waves plugins. (Poor attempt at humor.)

Not intended to you personally, I just find it amusing how ripping on Waves seems to have been a trend among bedroom producers for the past number of years.
I agree. Bad move from Waves. Not so much retiring perpetual licenses but the swiftness of it. The first indication I got was 3rd party retailers dropping sales and Waves advising everyone to register their licenses within 3 days or loose them.
If given 6 months, or something, to prepare for such a big change, I wouldn’t mind at all.

I won’t hate them. I will just ignore them.
I have spent around 1000 $ over the last ten years on plugins from this company. When I switched to Mac M1 machines last year I could just use a few of the plugins because I never did the WUP thing… I bought my last plugin from them about 2 years ago. Yesterday I deleted the remaining stuff from my machines. Trust can only be lost once.
And no, I won’t miss the stuff because I have not used it for some time now. There are so many (better) choices…

2 Likes

Hey, no worries, however, there are a lot of people out there who paid top dollar for waves bundles.

These really cheap sales are not what the prices used to be. Some loyal customers paid through the nose and did the same when they had to upgrade (which BTW is also disgraceful).

Imagine being one of these guys, knowing that blowing 5K on Waves meant seat FA…

1 Like

Yea wtf is up with Waves? Im done with that company…their crap just causes Cubase to dropout and hangup anyway…good luck with that.

See Waves Announcement today. March 29 23.
They have backed down under the storm of consumer protest and will reintroduce perpetual licences in parallel with new system.

I’m well aware. I’ve been a Waves customer for almost 20 years.

Not sure what is disgraceful about having to pay for upgrades. Their WUP model never bothered me and I think it is quite fair.

Really!? Hardly ever had any problems with Waves plugins. Wish I cold say the same for many other DAW or plugin developer. Did you reach out to them? Their customer support used to be excellent. (I haven’t had a need to contact them in many years so I don’t know if it still is.)

1 Like

Totally agree , 3 times ive been in contact with them and all three times the problem was resolved STRAIGHT AWAY . im glad they have backstepped , saves searching for replacements plus i think we can expect a free gift as an apology :rofl:

2 Likes

Dunno man, I had a producer friend who was asked to pay thousands to upgrade.

Anyway, look I’m not bashing Waves, just letting you know my experience of the company through producer friends I have come across.

Peace.

Not sure about that, there’s a cap on WUP - I think around 250 is the max.

The only problem i’ve got is that you need to be on WUP to have the second license for other machines, that’s annoying when you don’t actually require any of the products to be updated but running on desktop and laptop so you’re forced to pay yearly anyway.

That’s why I was really surprised with the subscription being a service and it only allowing one machine to be activated at a time.

I’m well and truly done with them, this will drive a lot of WUP sales from people who rely on their products and poopies themselves the past few days… But just cannot trust a company who does something like this overnight without any warning or consideration for their customers, it’s really low.

2 Likes

Cool story.
(Waves caps their WUP cost at $240 USD.)

Dude, seriously, I can only tell you what I know…chill.

I don’t particularly care about Waves, nor about their policies until a few days ago when I heard what direction they took.

There’s a reason that in most courts “hearsay evidence” is inadmissible.

While obviously, this forum is more akin to a pub than a court, the underlying problem with making evidentiary points with hearsay rather than first hand experience is still the same. And therefore, I even dislike it over a few beers - or in a forum lounge.

An obvious issue is, that the story of thousands to upgrade may have a very different overall context and associated details, compared to what the majority experience of average situations described by people with first hand experience in this thread.

I’ve articulated my own disgust with Waves earlier in this thread, based entirely on my own experience, which I detailed in that post.

So I’m no Waves fanboi - but I also think it isn’t fair or an improvement of the quality of discussion, when the criticism includes hearsay.

2 Likes

I wasn’t aware I was in court as the accused :rofl:

Seriously guys,

I shared my experience, you either take it or leave it, we are not solving the middle east here…

No, no, no - you’re a witness for the defense’s counter-suit…

2 Likes

Waves lost me the last time they decided to make it all but impossible to update from an old version to a later one without significant expense. I had thousands of dollars worth of waves plug-ins, that were (from memory) v9, and they dropped support for 9 when they went to 11 (please forgive me if my numbers are wrong, it was a while ago, and after making my decision, I don’t care any more). In their docs they said ‘just follow this process to get ongoing support for v9’, which I did, and it didn’t work, so I contacted support, who helped me with some, but failed in others… in the end, I thought ‘■■■■ this’, as it was obvious they wanted to push me to a subscription model. So… I made the decision, just left my waves licenses to expire, and will never spend money with them again. Pity, as I did like some of their stuff, but that’s life.
This appears to just be another attempt by some company to ensure they get perpetual income from all users.
To me, this music stuff is supposed to be fun. I’m happy to give someone money to buy their product, and even continue to give them money as they upgrade, or improve things. But to just commit to an ongoing subscription… nope, I’ll leave that to the others thanks.

I’m happier for it, and I know I won’t be held to ransom by them again.

2 Likes

:rofl:

It’s crazy man. I have been working with stuff from Plugin Alliance and Ozone for I think a good, what, 10 years now??

I was never asked to pay to upgrade anything. Only Ozone gets better versions of their plugins and I do upgrade (by choice), but as and when…

Problem with these kinds of companies is that there is a threshold on sales. And that is a near-disaster scenario for these companies. Now we are moving towards AI mixing (whatever that is) to entice people. But I can understand, it’s tough.

I have also reached this point where I only (by choice) need about 4 to 5 plugins, and that’s it for me.

I was surfing Plugin Alliance the other day, and I was thinking, “I don’t need that stuff, thanks though”.

And that’s a problem for these companies because I am sure I’m not alone in stopping or holding back from buying plugins that I probably don’t really need.

Not sure, if you intended it as humour, but it made me :rofl: given the fact that Waves is literally headquartered in the middle east.

1 Like

OMG :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:!!!

1 Like