Win7 users MUST READ: Enable Windows Aero and Install KB 2670838.

TL;DR: Read the title of this thread. No question.

Update: All conclusions from this thread works with Dorico Pro 3. However, on modern computers, Dorico Pro 3 can utilize your GPU more efficiently under Windows 10 (according to my personal tests, which may be different than how Dorico Pro 3 behaves on your computers).

Update: Based on my compatibility tests, if you are using Windows 7, then the Windows Aero (a.k.a. DWM Service) must be enabled and hardware-accelerated (even if you are running Windows 7 Home Basic, regardless the availability of transparent glass visual effect) because Dorico 2 Audio Engine NEEDS THAT. // Later, Daniel told me that the requirements of Windows Aero also exists for Dorico 1.

Most Windows 7 users prefer its ability of completely turning the Windows Aero off which benefits some old computers that uses Intel(R) integrated graphics, reducing the CPU workload. This is one of common reasons explaining why they refuse to use Windows 8 and later. However, if Windows Aero is turned off, then the installation of Platform Update won’t make any sense to Dorico, hence why all dump files look identical to each other (from Ulf’s perspective).

If you are using Windows 7 Embedded x64, then please make sure Windows Aero is installed (I guess it is not removable if adding the packages and dependencies of Windows Explorer Shell support).

(This also proves that Dorico 2 is NOT COMPATIBLE with “WINDOWS 7 STARTER” which has no Windows Aero support and no x64 edition available; Windows Thin PC (a special version of Windows 7 Embedded x86) only has 32bit edition, hence being unable to run Dorico 2.)

Also, according to Ulf, Windows NT 6.1 Platform Update provides crucial support for Dorico 2 running on Windows 7 SP1 x64:

P.S.: At least .netfx 4.x is required for eLicense control center at this moment.
Also, higher .netfx version requirements may come to the incoming next generation eLicense control center + driver suite in the future.

------Previous Post------
I tested Dorico 2 on Windows 7 Home Basic SP1 (with .netfx 4.7.2 installed) through both VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop.

The Dorico 2 itself passed the eLc check (using USB dongle connected to the virtural machine) and successfully booted up.
However, it immediately shows that the audio engine process “died” and then the Dorico application freezes permanently.

I have no approaches at this moment to test Dorico 2 Compatibility with Windows 7 on an actural machine, hence this thread for attraction and feedback.

P.S.: This test is a voluntary work simply because the forced Windows Update of Windows 10 attracted huge amount of hatred… and some of these haters are also discriminating Apple-related products, hence their choice of Windows 7 or 8.x builds.

Does your virtual box have the Windows update as described in Frequently asked questions: try this thread first - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

I have my DAW running on Windows 7 on an actual machine and I don’t see the audio engine dying. I have played with it only for 15 minutes or so, but I could play the samples without any trouble.

D2 is also hanging for me at startup on the VSTAudioEngine2.

1. Win 7 Pro SP1, PC is 9yo AMD Phenom II x4 940 w/ 8 GB DDR 2, ASUS M3A78Pro mb. Latest Win 7 updates were installed this morning, & the KB2670838 update was installed in 2014.
  2. Dorico 1.1 (VSTAudioEngine 1.2.10 build 313) working fine before/after the Dorico Pro 2 install.
  3. Also have Cubase Pro 9, 8.5, 7.5 on this PC, they are on a second eLicenser USB key.
  4. Tried both of my UR22mkII, most recent USB driver.
  5. If I go to the D2 VSTAudioEngine folder and start the VSTAudioEngine2.exe, I can follow the lack of progress in the banner as it tries to load.

Here is Windows error data:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH>
Application Name: VSTAudioEngine2.exe
Application Version: 2.0.0.219
Application Timestamp: 5aff73c6
Fault Module Name: VSTAudioEngine2.exe
Fault Module Version: 2.0.0.219
Fault Module Timestamp: 5aff73c6
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000000000a8ce59
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 57a7
Additional Information 2: 57a79d9a06bfb4358a29f01312606977
Additional Information 3: b164
Additional Information 4: b164eec68ae77e66dad51d63a832ff71

Thats all I know at the moment.

Please have a look at C:\Users<yourname>\Documents\Steinberg\CrashDumps
Are there any dump files from VSTAudioEngine2?

If so, please zip them up and send to ‘u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de’.

I will update later today with crash dump if available.

I don’t use Oracle Virtual Box, but looks like my suspect is correct: Platform Update for Windows NT 6.1 is crucial in this case.
Thank you for your official confirmation.

I am afraid that I met the exactly same issue as what you have met.

Here is Windows error data:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: VSTAudioEngine2.exe
Application Version: 2.0.0.219
Application Timestamp: 5aff73c6
Fault Module Name: VSTAudioEngine2.exe
Fault Module Version: 2.0.0.219
Fault Module Timestamp: 5aff73c6
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000000000a8ce59
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.2
Locale ID: 1028
Additional Information 1: 57a7
Additional Information 2: 57a79d9a06bfb4358a29f01312606977
Additional Information 3: b164
Additional Information 4: b164eec68ae77e66dad51d63a832ff71

My dump file has been emailed to Ulf, but you’re still gonna send yours to him. Yours is also important to him.

Ok, I just sent Ulf a zip of 4 different crash dumps from last night/this morning.

So these dump files were generated AFTER you installed the Windows NT 6.1 platform update for Windows 7 SP1, right?

Hi,
As I mentioned in my first post on this thread, the KB2670838 patch has been on this machine since 2014.

Crash dump files that I sent to Ulf last night were generated with the patch intact, and his reply was that our crash dump files look identical.

This morning I removed the patch and attempted to run D2, but it would not even generate crash dump files. I will reinstall the patch later today and see if any change has occurred by uninstalling/reinstalling the patch.

Ulf is completely running out of his idea on how to troubleshoot this issue, or the developer resources of Steinberg is no longer supposed to be addressed on Windows 7. Looks like a community-based troubleshooting process is needed here.

Cemmevo, would you please tell me the installed language of your Windows 7? Did you disable the Windows Aero?

Update: I tested that Dorico 2 works on Windows Embedded Standard 7 x64 with the following configuration: Only English version available from Microsoft; Chinese Traditional MUI installed; Code Page 950 (Traditional Chinese) for non-Unicode programs; Platform Update installed; All Windows Updates patched except the installation of Internet Explorer 11; Windows Aero enabled.

Troubleshooting complete: Windows Aero MUST BE ENABLED & HARDWARE-ACCELERATED on Windows 7.
(If not hardware-accelerated, you will find no way to enable it on Windows Vista and 7.)

Note that you still have to make sure KB2670838 is installed to your Windows 7 SP1 x64.

ShikiSuen being passionate as always. ^-^

How can I tell if I have this update or not? I do all the updates when they come out – nothing new to be installed right now.

I’m anxious to order Dorico 2 but don’t want to if it won’t run on Win7 Home (64-bit). I do have Aero enabled, so it SHOULD work.

Go to the following website and download the .msu file of this platform update and run it in your system:

If already installed, it will let you know; If not, it will prompt you so you could decide whether install or not.
Note that Windows 7 Service Pack 1 MUST BE INSTALLED PRIOR TO applying the platform update.
(Windows Embedded 7 should have the SP1 built-in.)

Windows 7 Home SP1 should work as long as Windows Aero is enabled.
As long as it is hardware-accelerated on Windows 7 then you can enable it.
Note that Windows 7 Home Basic does have hardware-accelerated Windows Aero support (it just has lack of most animations, window color support and window title transparency).

These tests cost me 3 days of working time on it. Thanks to the snapshot system built-in in Parallels Desktop and VMware.

ShikiSuen,
Nice troubleshooting, and yes, multiple days of pain here too.
I have US English versions of Win 7. I don’t run Aero mode here, but after reading a few pages of the latest Dorico version history last night, I realized that it might be necessary. I was aware of this requirement as I have Cubase 9, 8.5 and 7.5 on this machine, and as you know, v8 and above require Aero mode, at least to start.

For Dorico 2 to start, I had to reboot when in Aero mode, that got me to the hub. I could not get D2 to start if I just switched the video mode to Aero from “basic”, only if I rebooted. But I crashed it testing to see if I could switch back to “basic” video, and it would not start up again. So I removed it and reinstalled while in Aero mode and it is now working.
As far as video, the video card is old nVidia GT610, with the latest driver, and the displays are LG 32". I am not sure if hardware acceleration is available, but I haven’t switched it on; possibly it can be done in the nVidia app, but its not available in the Windows monitor adjustments area.

On Windows 7 (NT 6.1) and Vista (NT 6.0), if you could successfully turn Windows Aero on, then it is hardware accelerated.
On Windows 8 and later (since NT 6.2), since Windows Aero is always-on (force-enabled), it may be software accelerated.

As what updated to the #1 in this thread:

Most Windows 7 users prefer its ability of completely turning the Windows Aero off which benefits some old computers that uses Intel(R) integrated graphics, reducing the CPU workload. This is one of common reasons explaining why they refuse to use Windows 8 and later. > However, if Windows Aero is turned off, then the installation of Platform Update won’t make any sense to Dorico, hence why all dump files look identical to each other (from Ulf’s perspective)> .

Update: Regarding how to enable Windows Aero, the approaches posted to the Dorico Forum troubleshooting thread (at this moment) does not work with Windows 7 Home Basic (as the Windows troubleshooting wizard suggests the user to pay for an upgrade to a more advanced Windows 7 version). Here’s the solution of how to enable Windows Aero for Windows 7 Home Basic:

Firstly, enabling the Desktop Window Manager Session Manager: Press Windows+R to show the RUN window and type “Services.msc” to show the Windows NT Services Manger. Among the listed services you could see the “Desktop Window Manager Session Manager”. Double-click it and set its startup type to “Automatic”.

Secondly, check your video device and its driver installation. These shall support at least Direct 9.0c with at least 512MB VRAM. (If you have fear that Windows Aero may slows down your video performance, you need to consider discrete graphics in lieu of Intel Integrated Graphics.) Also, your current display mode should have sufficient color depth (32bit true color is suggested).

After finishing the previous two steps you are suggested to reboot your computer unless nothing was changed.

Thirdly, go to Control Panel → All Control Panel Items → Display. In this Window you should see “Change color scheme” through its left window pane. Click on it and it will show the “Window Color and Appearance” window, and you should choose “Windows 7 Standard” (should be the toppest one) in lieu of others among all color schemes listed in it. Then press OK.

Till now if everything’s okay then you should see that your Windows File Explorer window should have glass-like title bar. Though this mode has no animation, transparency and customizable color, it allows the screen rendering APIs necessary to Dorico (and Dorico 2) to be fully functional.