Windows 10 announced!

How completely outrageous is that???

Unbelievable.

Hi,

What? Surely that can’t be right!?

Paul

WiFi-Sense seems to have more sense than the ‘someone said boo, so there must be a ghost’ scaremongers here.

While there may be some concern about it being on by default – only if using the Express settings option when installing W10, which many will probably do, or you otherwise accept the default settings of the WiFi options – there are many points at which it can be disabled.

Also, it does not just hand them out, but limits are placed on what is accessed (only the connection, not devices nor data) and that it does not propagate to contacts of users connected through it.

You WiFi network password is not given out directly to your contacts, so none of them can give it to anyone else. The main issue is with those of your WiFi users to whom you have explicitly given out the password, either verbally or entered it for them, because if they accept the default W10 WiFI settings on their computer, their contacts will be able to access your WiFi connection, but only when they are within your WiFi’s range of course.

And remember, it is only for WiFi, so if your computer does not use WiFi (which you shouldn’t for DAW use due to possible system latency disturbance issues), there is nothing to share.

For those using W10 for DAWs/samplers, and you do have WiFi enabled, you will most likely disable WiFi sharing outright at installation, or disable it when you first connect to the network.

Well this is kind of needed now to update/upgrade or activate plugins and/or software and don’t want to have Net cables all over the place.

My solution is just don’t use wifi passwords but a non visible SSID with MAC address filter, and a little router that is in other subnet that is only turned on when there are clients who want to use internet.

Actually, if it is inconvenient to use a cable to your network, the best way is to use a wired connection to a WiFi bridge, as it bypasses all the WiFi issues, including WiFi-Sense and stability issues, while allowing the wireless connection.

Just because you don’t have a visible SSID does not mean your network is hidden.

In fact, doing so creates the Streisland effect, where it draws more attention to it, because hiding your network’s SSID means that instead of passively waiting till your network announces that it is in range, all your devices will continuously ping requests for your network wherever they are.

So instead of hiding your network, you are making sure its known about in more places far removed from your WiFi zone.

The SSID is not a password, and so was not intended to be hidden.

STOP THE WIFI-SENSE FUD!
Get your facts straight first.

While the facility can be on by default, you still have to EXPLICITLY enable it for EACH network, as described in Windows 10’s Wi-Fi Sense is not a security risk. Here’s why.

This is just like for WiFi itself, where while the facility can be on, you have to explicitly join a network to actually use it.

[EDITED by a moderator.- "You may post grievances you are having with our software, dealers, other companies, etc., but you may not “call out” companies or people by name]
I don’t understand how they cannot see that their lack of discrimination and research doesn’t reflect badly on them.

I doubt/hope Windows will not delete our files saved to our hard drives. So this statement from them gives me some hope regarding the upgrade.
Can I go back to my previous version of Windows if I don’t like Windows 10?
Yes, while we think you will love all the features of Windows 10, you will have one month after upgrading to revert back to the previous version of Windows on your device.

As i am not a huge fan of W8.1 im prepared to give it ago. but not straight way.

[EDITED by a moderator.- "You may post grievances you are having with our software, dealers, other companies, etc., but you may not “call out” companies or people by name]
Please PM me with what I wrote that is supposedly breaching the rules.

In future, perhaps PM ‘offenders’ with the text you edited out, at least so reparative editing can be done. As it is, I have no access to what I wrote that was out of line, so I can’t rephrase it. I don’t remember explicitly naming anyone.

I find this more worrying, having fallen foul of M$ updates in the past-

If I understand it right, only a potential problem with the Home Edition; DAWs using the Pro edition should be ok, at least from that point of view.

Also, re WiFi-Sense:

a) Because the mechanism uses the MS cloud, it only works if you are logged into an MS account.

b) If using any user-level granular access control like 802.1X, it does not work.

+1

The Home editions were designed for people without much technical knowhow, who need a lot of the operational parameters preset for them, as they do not have the need/desire to want to know.

The Pro editions are for those who want/need to manage their systems better for what their purposes are.

The latter are what anyone doing serious audio work should be using. It is just the cost of the business or hobby.

Thanks for all the clarifications, when I found that blog I did not have much time to research, then a family emergency took me offline.

I supposed if you were using home edition you could simply remove your saved WiFi settings, upgrade, then recreate them. Seems that chap’s blog was a bit of fear mongering. But it does make me think that the modern day social networking paradigm goes too far sometimes.

Cheers :ugeek:

Can you upgrade to windows 10 (from 8.1) with a local admin account, or do you have to use your MS account?

For my DAW’s, I never go online and do NOT want to use the MS account users (created local admin accounts and deleted my MS account user on all my DAW’s).

Just curious, and preparing. I will not upgrade… yet :wink:

Social media and blogs (and news these days) are often about trying to engage us emotionally, which really means creating some emotional instability/excess that they can then manipulate more easily, because they have an agenda that often isn’t in our best interests!

And what are the emotions that can be manipulated most easily: fear, uncertainty, doubt, anger.

Why can they be manipulated so easily? Perhaps because we feel more ‘alive’ when they are stimulated.

So such media may be filling a ‘hole’ in ourselves, but at what cost? Because if the net result is that we don’t really feel better, it is counter-productive.

Then it is time to find another means of feeling ‘alive’, that doesn’t involve beholding ourselves emotionally to someone else’s agenda. Like creating music, because it’s worth doing for itself.

Regarding my post seeking information on the ye old Cubase LE5 compatability with Windows 10 - I found this from Microsoft stating 3 out of 4 (not a huge group) found it compatible. I think I will give it a go now.

sorry if im threadjacking but can someone post if it’s safe to install windows 10 yet? had another bsod and now windows says “Great! Lets install windows 10 now!”, after reliability monitor says windows 10 install failed…

FYI. If you guys didn’t know yet. Windows 10 tracks users by default including which applications you use browsing history, including your kids browsing history. :nerd:

Are you and your kids doing something illegal on pc?