Windows 10: audio dropouts on multi-core CPU setups

Thanks for replying and clearing things up.
I didn’t encounter issues so far but i’ll keep posting if i come across something.
I had no super large projects running yet with the fix applied.

Hello,

I haven’t encounter a problem yet, but would like to future proof. I have new laptop with 6core/12 threads , and I’d like to know if i should turn off hyperthreading and how? Thanks

It’s pretty clear in the article that the problem is only with computers that have more cores than you do.

6950x here - sent a PM to Fabio - but figured I would post here in case it is seen sooner.

I now have this problem on 2 workstations. One 4 core desktop and one 8 core laptop. Both on windows 10. Problem is slightly resolved by disabling 2 cores on the desktop. Is Steinberg looking further into this? I am spending too much time trying to resolve this (without much result) and I have clients waiting for their music. It is incredibly frustrating working like this. I have this in 8.5 and 9.5

edit scratch that, the problem returned even worse, enabled all cores again

May i ask why you are switching?

I also have an i7 5820K and an ASUS X99 Deluxe.
I have tried everything i could find on the internet but with no success.
I am starting to think that this particular CPU/MB combination simply does not work for a DAW.

Did you get the same problems with the x299/i77820x combination?

Hi there,

I have an i9 with 18 cores and have applied the settings Fabio provided me for the windows 10 multi-core issue.Performance is better than it was without the reg fix but I’m getting the most horrendous stuttering when using waves studiogrid/ soundgrid.

I wondered if this might be more of an issue with windows / thread management as the soundgrid is effectively acting as a host for the waves plugins? Here is my other post in the issues forum.

If anyone has any thoughts on this please let me know! I’m scratching my head after trying all buffer settings /Cubase ASIO guard/ power saving etc. The same project is fine on a Mac… but on windows 10 VST performance goes crazy with cpu usage is only ever at 30 percent at the most.

Many thanks

Ed

@Fabio – just PM’d you. Please send registry tweak. Thank you!

I7 7820 user here
cubase 9.5 pro on a windows 10 64 bit home pc.

Also experiencing audio dropouts !

Will pm Fabio about it.

Amazing! what thunderborlt card are you using? cheers

Asus Thunderbolt EX3 with Cache-line Size 128 setting. :+1:

I’'ve switched because I’m a hardware GEEK & NERD and love being a beta tester for new setups and configurations :smiling_imp:

I’ve been provided finally, after two weeks or so, by Polish Yamaha (acting as Steinberg distributor) with a registry fix that brought nothing but sour happiness and peace of mind, sort of anyway. My impressions…

Not everything runs great. Sometimes sound stutters, sometimes load peak goes crazy with no reason and sometimes it’s caused by plugins like Kontakt 5 (heavily armed instances) and for example Kinetic Metal or by Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.Have no problem with my SSL Duende plugins, they run fine. I’ve disabled some features of my CPU in BIOS (but HT is on, Windows 10 wo HT is pain in the a…) and I’m sure that I have a moderately clean Windows 10 Pro enviroment. I’m currently using RME UCX but it never gave me any problems, DCP latencies are low. I miss Cubase 6 and the old times, because I believe that this DAW run smoother and better back then (I’m using C since first VST versions in late 90s). Or maybe I’m just old and grumpy :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

What I’ve experienced leaving HT on creates VST performance spikes of 20% or more. Once HT is turned off average VST performance usage stayed the same but the realtime spikes disappeared.

From what I’ve been reading, HT doesn’t benefit realtime processing like DAW’s, except rendering audio files. Running low buffer setting will be a lot more noticeable at high buffer settings

I’m interested in what other people are experiencing with HT on vs HT off.

My setup
Asus z370-A motherboard, 8700k cpu, 32GB ram, NVMe 970 evo 500GB, NVMe 970 EVO 1TB, 2 x seagate 2TB 7200rpm hdd, GTX560, Windows 10 pro, Motu 828mk3 hybrid via pcie firewire and Cubase Pro 9.5.30. Running a 192 buffer at 44.1 with ASIO guard off.

I have the same CPU and disable C-States in the UEFI/BIOS and the Steinberg engine proporties seems to work and give less spikes and more stable audio processing. not that I’ve had any dropouts at 256 ms buffer and 32bit 96khz less spikes on the meter. c-states disabled really gives a difference.
x299 7820x @ 4.6 Ghz around 1.2ish volts HT on. (other options to disable like EST and turbo boost don’t change a thing than overall power consumption on this platom so why bother.)

Thx for the tip. Will test that very soon.

Hello from Russia :slight_smile: So I have very similar problem on my AMD Ryzen 7 1700 CPU. I have a project in Cubase that uses 5 Spires, 5 Kontakts and 1 Omnisphere and with ASIO Guard OFF it’s not running well on 128 (crackles and dropouts), only with 512 ASIO buffer size works kinda fibe. While in FL Studio the same (carefully replicated by MIDI and presets) project works flawlessly on 128 buffer. Turning ON ASIO Guard makes a huge difference tho, it’s possible to work at 128 with no crackles and dropouts and CPU core’s load is pretty even, but I expected much more better performance from Cubase 9.5 Pro though.

Where should I start? Turning off HT in BIOS? Or writing Fabil a PM? Does this problem apply to Ryzens as well as Intels?

Hy Guys,

May be already mentioned in the discussion :

Try to install Asio4All

It solved my sound problem with windows 10 and cubase pro.

Good luck :wink:

So, I used fix from Fabio. I think there is some kind of improvement: with ASIO Guard my averagely loaded project at 256 buffer size having less load on CPU (reduced to 19% from 30% somehow and the load on cores/threads is very even and smooth) and selecting the track for realtime record doesn’t make +50% CPU load but only ~15%. But performance without ASIO Guard on 256 ASIO buffer remained pretty poor and it’s still even worse than FL Studio’s :frowning:(
Though with ASIO Guard it’s decent enough to continue my work.

To be honest I don’t think it’s a correct solution. I have RME Babyface Pro and a lot of features are available through it’s driver, furthermore, some developers like RME or Lynx are making excellent and super-stable ASIO drivers and it would be an absolute waste to not use them.

I agree with you JafaroffMusic : it’s always better to use the dedicated driver, But it was the only working solution in my case.

Got it :slight_smile:

Are ASIO4ALL’s peformance at 128 buffer size and dedicated driver’s performance at 128 buffer size comparable? I’m asking this because I still have some kind of doubts on this problem - is it software-related or hardware-related or both? In my case Cubase is able to load ton of SGA plugins which are used in DAWBench DSP test - my Ryzen 7 1700 usually begin to produce dropouts only after 115th plugin at 44.1 kHz and 64 ASIO buffer’s size leading to overall CPU load around 81%, the load percentage I never saw on Cubase 9 with other plugins that I use everyday - Kontakt, Spire and etc. Why my CPU is able to hold so much SGA’s and is not able to hold just a few Kontakt/Spire/DUNE/Twin2 instances? Why FL Studio is able to hold this (without ASIO Guard, AFAIK FL Studio doesn’t have “anticipative” processing) better than Cubase? Why ASIO Guard makes everything so much better in Cubase? So many questions and no answers yet :frowning: