Windows 10 Fall Creators Update - Cubase et al

And again besides Steinberg apps even above differs by system
my ilok License manager is 3.1.7.1901 and I did not have above issue
My Logitech is 6.67.83 and didn’t have above issue either

I don’t have focusrite stuff or addictive drums so can’t comment on that.
What i found out last night is that I had to reinstall Elektron Overbridge as my A4 and RYTM were no longer recognized as overbridge devices in overbridge (worked fine as midi USB devices in windows)

But so far so good. @Alexis, the bottom line is that Steinberg will not have access to all possible configurations, they will test maybe on 1 or 2 systems at the office and that’s it. Cubase WILL run on those systems. That says everything about 1709 being compatible, but we already know that, since several users have reported the same. Steinbergs “blessing” will give no assurance on the 99.9999% of other systems out there, or if you will encounter any issues on your system, or your ecosystem.
It’s flawed logic to believe you are “safe” once Steinberg tells you so.
Steinberg will find nothing that others didn’t already call out.
Steinberg will NOT test everything 3rd PTY commercially available that can be used in Cubase, so it’s merely a raindrop of reasurrance in an ocean of potential issues.

Just to sound an extra note of caution for people who cannot do with any downtime: a developer friend of mine mentioned that Microsoft has removed some old hacks for raising the priority of audio threads in the Fall Creators Update (namely sideloading a couple of functions from avrt.dll to designate a thread as “pro audio”). This might totally break the performance in audio applications until they get updated to use the new official API to do this.

Of course maybe they already had prepared for this and Cubase is fine, but just saying… this time Steinberg just might REALLY mean it when they say don’t update yet, because there are clearly changes in areas that directly affect DAWs.

Soundblaster Zxr Driver Uninstalled/cleaned (Soundcard was not working) and reinstalled, working.
Elicencer, error when startup Steinberg Software. Uninstalled/cleaned (USB’s dongles not showing/not working) and reinstalled, working.
The rest i think is working (Steinberg Software), so is working. And not having performance issues at all.
So far so good.

Another caution with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update:

Tools for UR interface doesn’t work … Cubase doesn’t start up properly.

Fix is found in the link.

Everything seems fo work here, but first thing I did after the update, was to start the elicenser as admin and do a maintenance.

Yesterday installed, everything work fine.
But! (i dont know its because of W10 update or my settings)
When i add VSTi or any insert vst. Plugin doesn’t pop up, you need to click on them to open.

Check Preferences > VST > Plug-ins > Open Effect Editor after Loading it

thanks! strange, why after update its turned off

Just out of pure curiosity, is there anything in these W10 updates that has actually assisted, improved and helped the operation of your DAW systems ?

Better creativity ? More efficient work flow, better hardware performance (anything become faster or better ?) etc.

Or is this purely security related and OS bug fixing ?

Here are the bigger features:

But none of that is very interesting to DAWs. However, there should be improvements on the hood that could be beneficial.

Right now the Windows 10 Fall Update seems to hurt more hardware like Soundcards, USB-Licensers, Etc.
I had to Reinstall the soundcard. The USB-Steinberg-Licenser (hardware) was not LIT, pulled out and in, was lit.
The second USB License Hardware was ok. Had to reinstall Elicenser again, and all was ok.
BTW my Outlook cant email, but thats not Music related.

Like this year 2017, Mr. Microsoft came out with lots of BAD updates, it seems this one is not that bad, but really a lot of users will be struggling to get their system correct working. It took me 3 hours to fix, because i looked also for the latest driver updates and installed them. That hardware fails after this update from Mr. Microsoft is really no warning about it, you just have to endure it and do all the work yourself… Thx Microsoft! Windows 10 is ok, but had a lot of bad or worse making updates… This one is also one of them… When will you system not be ruined and has the user FIX it with knowing in front ??.. At least a warning would be nice from Mr. Microsoft…

That updates interfere with copy protection is to be expected. They are so low level that MS impossibly can take any precautions in that regard.

I had to rerun the eLicenser Control Center as administrator and re-install my audio hardware driver.

It’s not that the update itself is a problem, but the way it’s installed is basically by re-installing the entire OS.

Same here, everything was fine, except elicenser and my Elektron overbridge. 3min job to fix both.
The update took 11mins on my system, within 15mins I was fully back up and running.
That’s a flawless update in my book, you can’t blame microsoft for issues outside their control.

Thanks everyone for your reports. Very helpful. I’m going to turn updates back on and let my main machine update tonight.

I did let my Surface Pro 3 update on its own, and ran into the UR44 tools issue but nothing else appears to have gotten effed up. Edit: also had to reinstall Logitech drivers. (a known issue)

Me too plus I had to uncheck “automatically use my sign in info to sign in after restarts…” in the Windows settings account info to end having to sign in twice at login.

Oddly enough that still works perfectly for me.

[update]
So, I un-installed the USB driver and e-licenser. Installed the new W10 update. Re-installed USB diver and e-licenser.
All seems to be working ok.
Total time 30 mins :slight_smile:

Apart from the e-licenser issue I had to re-authorize Omnisphere. Otherwise no problems seen (yet).

Working fine hier too since 2 days on my home notebook with C9 Elements and on the studio PC
All Steinberg stuff worked perfect from the beginning.
Luckily also no iLok issues either.

The update took about an hour.

I only had to re-register Samplitude, Addictive keys and the izotope stuff.