Windows 10 Pro Tweaks to get better performance

Yip here is a little “How TO”

These tweaks are for win10 pro for desktop. This should never be applied to a laptop as the laptop cooling solution will most definitely not cope. It will use around 30% more power at idol and 10-15% more at full load. This means that the CPU will run hotter and or fans will have to spin slightly faster.

These settings are saved within the Ultimate Performance Power Plan and the process priority is non-persistent so disabling them is as easy as changing the power plan to “High Performance” from “Ultimate Performance” and maybe only using “Ultimate Performance” when needed. It is the combination of Disabling the Idol Process in Ultimate Performance mode power plan.

Many Power settings affect processor state and performance, most are hidden. “Windows 10 for Workstations” introduced a power state that reduced micro interruptions in the Data path. Basically, it stops the OS from continually interrupting the active process. This is most noticeable on drive access and Realtime operations. This performance mode also allows for reduced access times on SSD’s. There is also a small processor load improvement of a few percent. It is a more flued experience than High Performance mode.
The first thing is to make the win10 for workstation power mode “Ultimate Performance” available in power options.

Open a command prompt with admin privileges copy and paste the in the following the press enter:

powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

While the cmd window is open we will need to unhide the Idol Process option in the power scheme by copy and past the following into the cmd window and press enter.

powercfg -attributes SUB_PROCESSOR 5d76a2ca-e8c0-402f-a133-2158492d58ad -ATTRIB_HIDE

The Idol Process is a power saving mechanism that saves CPU cycles by not processing every cycle. Windows Task manager does not report CPU usage but rather the Idle Process amount. It always skips cycles. This is good for power saving and management but bad for latency when at low CPU loads it is skipping many CPU cycles. This also means that the windows Task Manager will now show 100% CPU usage but this is not the case.

I use Bitsum’s Process Lasso and Park Control to manage process priority. This also gives me an idea of CPU usage.

Another few honorable mentions is to set the process and the child process that you are working on, that would be Cubase/Nuendo, process priority in task manager’s “Details” pan to “Above Normal” or “High” on each program launch or use Process Lasso to adjust it to Above Normal or High. Cuebase already does this but other processes you might want to lower like a video encoding for the next to picture work. Process Lasso is also useful for managing these if your machine is used for many different things not only audio.
And to set PCIe “Link Power state” to “OFF” and the annoying “USB Selective Suspend” to “Disabled”

These are my tweaks that work for me, there are many more things I do for my system to stabilize performance and to be constant.
Please remember not to try this on a laptop and be aware of CPU temps if you have a borderline cooling solution.

Enjoy

4 Likes

I also highly recommend running Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSC 2021 for any production system. Though there are a couple of hurdles and it is more expensive, this is possible for anyone and not only gives you back a decent chunk of CPU and memory out of the gate, it also means you have a lot less fear of reboots for long-running projects you’re in the middle of. It’s what every system should be running.

There is a problem with the base Cubase installer that prevents the assistant from installing it automatically, and you not only have to run the installer manually, but further capture the base Cubase installer and run it, which will tell you it is by an unknown publisher because Steinberg fails to properly sign the underlying binary.

However, it is by far the fastest base install you’re going to get, and thus far I love it for Cubase 12 Pro. I’ve been running the system for a couple of weeks now with zero downtime, and amazingly the instant I touch a midi controller, Cubase instantly responds with zero lag. It’s amazing, and highly recommended.

Hi
This is just an update to the power plan selection for 2023
Windows Ultimate Performance is no longer reducing the background processor interrupts as it has done in the past. The solution to this is to use ‘Bitsum Highest Performance Profile’ which is installed with Bistum Park Control. Once installed, disable the ‘idle process’ on Bitsum Highest Performance Profile.
It does similar things in the power profile as Ultimate Performance but is being updated regularly.

This change has made a remarkable improvement to my audio at low latency’s.

Enjoy