Windows 8.1 / MidiSport 2x2

Hi folks,

I recently had Steinberg carry out some big changes on my PC (running Windows 8.1) in which many files/folders/drivers were removed.

I have lost the DRIVERS for my MidiSport 2x2 ThruBox. When I very first pugged in the device last year it automatically prompted me about the drivers and that the MidiSport was connected. But today I got absolutely zero response ??

It is strange in that I must have downloaded them last year when I first purchased my Windows 8 PC from somewhere, but when I just checked the first obvious point of call (the M-Audio website) the drivers do not seem to exist !!

Operating System(s):
Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista 32-Bit SP1, Windows Vista 64-Bit SP1, Windows Vista 32-Bit SP2, Windows Vista 64-Bit SP2, Windows 7 32-Bit, Windows 7 64-Bit, Windows 7 32-Bit SP1, Windows 7 64-Bit SP1

There are a few sites which appear to offer a compatible version but I am very worried about installing software from third parties :astonished:

Would be great if anyone can help me out here please ??

Thanks guys,

Paul Seaman

I’d try the Win 7 64-bit SP1 driver, I bet it will work

Thanks very much indeed.

Would you advise that rather than downloading from the third party link I included??

Yes :sunglasses:

Ok, cheers man. I will try it out tomorrow. Thanks a lot.

btw - I like that Varese quote! Miles Davis also said a very similar thing.

Thanks a lot Twilight. Worked a treat mate !! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I am so glad I did not download a dodgy third-party version.

Cool :sunglasses:

The third party driver is probably just the same driver, renamed, and posted an someone’s website trying to drive ad traffic, etc. :laughing:

Oh I see. I had not thought of that. The last time I made that mistake I ended up inadvertently downloading a Google toolbar and a stupid free trial of an anti virus software, both of which I did not want. And then go was plagued I unwanted pop ups every 5 x mins!!

Yes, it’s happened to most of us. So, your caution was merited

Oh dear. I did not realise that other users had gotten caught out as well. Then you obviously know how annoying it is. The last time it happened in February I ended up having to 'roll back ’ my PC a few days!! :smiling_imp:

Hi again,

I think my MidiSport 2x2 (which I purchased second hand a couple of years ago) is on the blink. It is doing some very strange things like creating Midi Feedback, losing Polyphony, not triggering Midi and the strangest think (last night) which was it will only record Midi into Cubase if the keyboard is set to Receive on Channel 1 and Cubase on Channel 2 !! It took me a day and a half to find this bizarre workaround (I just stumbled upon this temporary solution) but clearly it is not ideal.

I was looking at the Roland UMG range :-

http://www.roland.co.uk/products/productdetails.aspx?p=1092&c=665

But having just emailed My Roland UK, they informed me that this range is discontinued (although they still offer a basic I x In / 1x Out -’ UM1G’ model).

If possible, I want to try and avoid purchasing another second hand model.

Ideally, I need 2 x In’s/Out’s (as I had before) though I was considering 3 x In’s/Out’s. However, the main criteria is that the device supports Windows 7 and also 8.1.

I looked on the Steinberg Shop as I assumed they would make one but apparently not!? :neutral_face:

Thanks a lot,

Paul

Any ideas guys…???

Reply from M-Audio today :-

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your email.

With regards to your previous message, I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had difficulty using this product on the newer build of Windows. As you may not be aware, this product is not officially supported on Microsoft’s next OS, Windows 8. For the best performance, and for any critical use, we strongly recommend using your M-Audio product on a supported computer system (it may be worth trying to roll your computer back to before the last few updates to see if this remedies the problem you are experiencing). You can view each product’s system requirements on its dedicated product page at m-audio.com.

Currently we haven’t made any driver release announcements for this product, please note that generally M-Audio will not announce upcoming driver releases or updates in advance of the release date. As always, you can check for the latest version at M-Audio.

We value your feedback, and appreciate your patience.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Billy Waller
Aftersales Advisor
Air, Akai Professional, Alesis, ▲lto Professional, ION Audio, M-Audio, Numark, Sonivox

Hi,

I am trying to download the DRIVERS for my MIDISPORT 2x2 (Midi to USB) device to be used on my recently revived Win-XP PC.

Firstly, I need to know whether I am on XP 32-bit or 64? I called up SYSTEM PROPERTIES (see screenshot) as I though it would be listed there) but I can’t see it? In which case would one assume that it is a 32-bit model please?

And secondly, I do not have the ANNIVESARY EDITION which is listed on the M-Audio site, and so would I be correct in assuming I have the UNO USB version? It’s the only other one listed (but I never heard it called that before?)!

Please see attached two screenshots:
System.png

Appreciate any help here.

Cheers,

Paul

(NB. Rather than start a NEW thread I thought it best to just tag it on to an existing one).

From 32-bit and 64-bit Windows: Frequently asked questions - Microsoft Support

If “x64 Edition” is listed under System, you’re running the 64-bit version of Windows XP.

If you don’t see “x64 Edition” listed under System, you’re running the 32-bit version of Windows XP.

As for the Midisport question, not sure as I never heard that description before, I’d try either one, see if it works, if not uninstall that driver and try the other one.

I’d probably try the 6.1.2 version as it shows from 2002.

That’s great Paul, thank you.

I will have a check later on.

Best,

Paul

Nice one Paul,

I am on Win-XP 32-bit.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Apparently THIS is the page for the LEGACY MidiSport:

http://m-audio.com/support/download/drivers/midisport-windows-driver-v6.1.2

I downloaded it but the ICONS look different to how I remember them!? And I am not sure if this would be the correct location/way to create a SHORTCUT?
short.png

Thanks,

Paul

OK.png