Windows update needing new driver install [SOLVED]

I have just installed the Windows 10 Fall Creators update. All is fine with Cubase.

However, when I open Wavelab, load a Montage and press Play, Windows Installer starts to try to install my Steinberg USB driver. It then hangs and goes no further and will not even cancel.

As noted, Cubase did not need this and I have not seen this problem before. The Yamaha driver is presumably for my CC121 or Motif (neither of which I need to use with Wavelab). As noted, there has been no problem with Cubase or any other progam using the Steinberg driver. Anyone seen this?

Hmm, 30+ views and no comments. I guess no-one has seen this problem. In any event I cannot use Wavelab so I’ll post a support ticket.

Are you using the MME driver or the ASIO driver?

It should be ASIO, PG. Do I need to do some config?

By the way, I also tried to enable VST Audio Connections in Prefs but the same thing happens - it tries to load a driver of some sort but cannot do so.

You quote CC121, but this is not an audio device. What is the audio device you are using?

An RME 800 Fireface

If you unplug the CC121, does the problem happen?

Yes, the same thing happens. I unplugged the CC121, loaded a montage and pressed start. The same thing, it tried to install the Yamaha Steinberg driver. I also have a Yamaha Motif which is USB linked and uses the driver so I unplugged that too. Same thing.

maybe a screenshot might help? it sounds confusing

Here you go…

really strange, are both devices present in the windows device manager?

What happens, I guess, is that when WaveLab tries to open the driver, Windows takes the hand and tries to update the driver. The message you display is not a WaveLab message.
You could try to disable the asio drivers from the registry, at least momentarily.

Look in the registry at this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO

WaveLab will try to load these drivers at startup.
One solution is to erase the CLSID variable.
Later, whether you paste the values again, to restore the info. You could also reinstall the drivers.

Thanks for the help Phillippe. In that key are : ASIO Fireface, Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver and Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO.

I’m afraid I am not technical enough to follow what you are asking, but does something need changing? I have never touched the registry before.

Note that Cubase and my other software (PLAY, Kontakt etc) have no problem at all and have continued to run perfectly after the Windows update.

Raphie, what am I looking for in Device Manager - the Motif and the CC121? I’m not sure where in the list to find them, but they both work normally in other programs.

Maybe look in the Task Manager, what installer application is exactly executed.

Where do I find in Task Manager the information you are looking for?

Crtl alt del > task manager

No, I know how to open Task Manager - I was asking what precise information is needed and where in Task manager do I find it?

You go to the programs tab and look for a program called setup
But what happens if you just disconnect your motif and c121 befor starting WL, Does WL then start?

I can’t see a programs tab in my Task Manager.

Re the issue of disconnecting the Motif and CC121 - see my answer to Phillippe’s question on this earlier in the thread.