X-Touch Midi Remote Cubase 12

I don’t want to derail the thread or to sound like a troll. I can only wait with what comes next regarding the Midi Remote. However it is not true, that BOME needs a scripting language for the basic tasks I am asking for here. It is more like the Midi Remote, just not so limited.

I will open my own thread, which is more specific to my controller and my needs.

Hi Guys. First time on the forum and the same problem as you all. I have migrated from Ardour to Cubase 12 Artist as my DAW. I thought that if an open source DAW like Ardour being developed by a handful of developers had the X-Touch working, I thought for sure it would work in Cubase. No “digs” implied to the Cubase team. I switched to Cubase for many reasons and I’m sticking with it. The product is awesome.
In regards to the X-Touch; I’ve been learning what is going on with remote control and have discovered a few thing that may help get it working. If you attempted set up your X-Touch, you likely used the Midi Remote to do this. Well this works fine for the majority of the controls but not the transport, jog wheel, scrub and several other buttons that related to the transport section.
As many of you have noticed there is no Midi Remote control for the way a jog wheel works. However I noticed when I disabled the custom script I made for the X-Touch (which contain all faders, buttons and knobs) and enabled the Mackie Control (found in Studio/More Options/Mackie Control) the jog wheel, scrub, transport controls worked perfectly. Also the fader bank and channel bank buttons as well as the cursor control/zoom control (5 button array to the left of the jog wheel) also worked perfectly. However when I re-enabled my custom X-Touch script these controls no longer worked. So on a hunch I removed the controller buttons, knobs and faders that worked correctly in Mackie Control mode and only left the those that didn’t have any function in Mackie Control mode or needed to be reassign using the Midi Remote script. Well it has worked so far.
I’ll have more information soon but I had originally mapped out everything on the X-Touch. But if you do this there is a conflict with certain controls…like the Jog wheel when the controller is in Mackie Control mode. However if you remove the controls that conflict (like the transport buttons, jog wheel, etc.) the Mackie Control and the Midi Remote work together. I will make a map drawing of the buttons I left on the layout and the ones I removed I indicate in another color.

With this method I was able to program buttons that were not assigned with Mackie Control (or need to be reassigned) and leave everything else to be controlled by Mackie Control.

The downside is the “Modify” button don’t work correct because I can’t find how to program them. I can’t use the Midi Remote method to programming them because there isn’t any “modify” keys (CTRL, SHIFT, ALT, OPTION) in the list provided and the same goes with trying to use the Cubase Key Command list.
I hope this helps a little guys to at least get more of the X-Touch working in Cubase 12.
Chris

4 Likes

Wow, that is some find - nice.

1 Like

Hi guys. I really hope Cubase or Behringer comes up with a fix for this. This is the last thing I was thinking I would have to spend time on. I have been messing with the X-Touch with Cubase 12 for three days now and have found some level of satisfactory functionality. The mind set on this is anything that works correctly with Mackie Control I simply leave those controls (button, knobs, faders, etc.) out the Midi Remote mapping. IF you place things that are MC control only…like the jog wheel, scrub button, transport buttons…encoder assign buttons, fader bank/channel buttons as well as the cursor/zoom “D” pad most of these controls will not work at all. However if you leave these items out of the MIDI Remote mapping script but include all the other control buttons, knobs, etc. in the Midi Remote Script/layout you will have pretty decent control over Cubase.
I can’t for the life of me figure out how to get the “Modify” keys on the X-Touch to work as Modify keys so these right now can be programmed for whatever use you want. It’s really too bad because if these worked you would increase your programmable buttons by a factor of four! Not ideal that’s for sure.

I’ve attached a graphic layout file of the X-Touch. Everything in the red box must be left out of the Midi Remote Map/script. If you add these to the map/script in Midi Remote those controls will not work correctly. Everything outside the red box include in your Midi Remote map/script and program the way you want them to work. Again…don’t touch any controls that show up in the red box when creating your Midi Remote map/script. If you want to try my actual file by loading it into Cubase MIDI Remote Script I’ve attached that as well.

I hope this helps you guys.

Oh one more thing. I have my X-Touch set up in Xctrl/MC mode. I use my X-Touch to control BOTH a Behringer XR-18 and Cubase and switch between the two using the SMPTE/BEATS button to the right of the display. So it’s set up in Network DHCP mode for remote control with the Ethernet cable going from the X-Touch to a router (not connected to the internet) and the studio PC and XR-18 are also connected to this router. The X-Touch is connected to the PC with USB. I also have the latest firmware installed as of two days ago which is 1.22

Chris
Behringer_X-TouchV5.midiremote (4.8 KB)

Hi, I too updated to 1.22 only a couple of days ago but have no clue as to the change. I guess its very minor but do you know what the change is?
I had as mentioned in a previous thread made a template but in Ctrl mode. In this mode every button was recognised as a individual control so I thought this will be great and allow mapping of practically anthing. However thats not the case, for example when I assigned mute or solo oneach track and tried I would get mutes activating with solo button and other weird things. I have given up for now as Midi Remote is in its infancy and I expect it will be refined to such an extent that we may be able to finally use the X Touch how we would like. Until then I think I will just use in MC mode using the legacy map as this has all the basics working. Out of interest you say you are using the MC mode for cubase and only mapping the stuff not in a red box which leaves all the red box stuff working as you would expect. You re then free to map the the non red box stuff to almost any Cubase command? Is that correct and do you have to use the legacy Macjie MC mode for this to work? Thanks

Hi, with X-Touch on (regular, not One or Mini), I imported your script and it was loaded successfully.
But when I hit the button to edit the layout, I got this answer : “no midi controller connected to this script was found” .
Did I missing something ?
thx!

Cubase12, OS X Big Sur, X-Touch 1.22

Are you using same operating system as I believe currently if a script was created on windows it wont work with Apple and vice versa?

I’m using MAC OS X , maybe it could be!
However the script Behringer_X-Touch.json , is successfully generated in the local directory.
In texteditor I can see < created by studio >.
I have to investigate better, or emulate Windows by installing Cubase12, but this becomes a bit difficult.
At this point since X-Touch works perfectly for me in Mackie Control, minus some keys, at this point I will map only those keys in midi-remote script, and my X-Touch will be controlled by the sum of Mackie Controller+Midi-remote, if I well understand by C.F.Christopher.
Thx :blush: !

hi Maax,
I have no clue the changes in 1.22 I just thought it would be a good idea to have it be the latest before making the script. I’m actually using XCtrl and MC mode. So the MC mode is used by Cubase and the XCtrl I guess is being use by the XR-18 Digital mixer and I switch between them using the SMPTE/Beats button. Yes so by leaving out of your map the control buttons that aren’t being used (or not working the way you want them) in Mackie Mode you are free to program the rest of the buttons (those not in the red box) the way you want. I have since updated my script and have a really great level of control. Since the SHIFT, CONTROL, OPTION and ALT buttons won’t function as Modifier buttons I not use them for SHIFT->Go to project start, CONTROL->Go to left marker, OPTION->Go to end project, and ALT->Go to right marker. F1 and F8 are to set left and right markers…the job wheel, zoom, scrub work perfectly and I just purchased two X-Keys units. to supplement everything else that I’m going to need to make my controls complete. I’ll upload the latest of my scripts but sorry I didn’t think OS would matter in this case but I’m using Windows 10.

Hey Massimo,
Yes that should be the way it should work. It takes a lot for me to be happy with something like this but at this point I have nearly everything working well . I’m sorry about the script being OS specific I didn’t think the OS would matter in this case. I just ordered two X-Key (one with 24 keys and the other is a strip of 16 keys. This will be all I need to get everything I need. The only thing I just noticed when it comes to programmed keys on the X-Touch is that the keys I mapped using MIDI Remote don’t light up when pressed.

1 Like

Hi C.F. thanks for update, I will definately have another look at just configuring the buttons you suggest. Can the shift button not be assigned a keyboard shortcut or macro to recreate the shift of the keyboard and then work as a modifier that way?

Sorry I’m using Windows 10 on a machine I built specifically for studio/pro audio use. I honestly didn’t think the MIDI Remote script would care what OS it was made on.

Hey C.F, you mentioned X-Keys, have you not considered StreamDeck XL? 32 keys very programmable. You can buy the icon and pre programmed packs from SideShowFX. They are coming down in price. Lowest I have seen this week is £189 inc VAT. They look the business.

1 Like

Hmmmm I didn’t think of that! I don’t think so because the MIDI Remote functionality seems to be only “looking” at the Midi based hardware controller not the keyboard but I’ll try it. My goal is to not use the keyboard at all except for typing. If I had the space I would integrate a trackball controller to the right side of my X-Touch so when my hands are on the X-Touch everything is all right there.

Hey Maax, Yes I have very much consider Stream Deck my I live in a Park Model trailer with VERY limited options for a studio setup and because of the incredible restrains I had to build a custom studio desk to accomidate my gear. With that said the Stream Deck won’t fit anyway where without messing up something else in regards to line of sight to other gear or cramping my writing space so I ordered two X-Key controllers. One is a strip of 14.5 inches with 16 buttons and the other is 4 X 6 inches with 24 buttons. I’m going to mount the 24 button unit on a gimble attached to the right side of my X-Touch angle mount. This will allow it to hover above the desk (so I can still have a notepad under it) and it will be within just a few inches of the touch on an angle. The 16 button unit will get mounted just above the computer keyboard on the front edge of the desk. This will allow for thumb use of these keys.
Here is a pic or two of what I’m talking about.

1 Like

Cool, very compact :slightly_smiling_face: I see the last pic shows the X Touch with the multi coloured scribble strips, must be in Air mode here?

1 Like

Oh thanks.
When the scribble strips are showing color it’s connected to the Behringer XR-18. When I was using Ardour (DAW) the scribble strips would also be in color reflecting the color I set the track header in but on Cubase it doesn’t show that. I think it would be very helpful for it to show the color of the track in Cubase but hopefully they will do that.
All of my stuff is hardwired. What is air mode?

1 Like

The mode for the XR connection… I guess

1 Like

oh yeah that sounds about right. Yeah no need for more wireless connections when a wired connection can be done. There is enough of RF in the air these days.

Anyone come up with a way to jump directly to a specific page? Ideally I would like to hold SHIFT on the XT and press F1 to F8 to jump to Page 1 to 8.
Ive never used the Project Logical Editor before but was thinking it may be possible this way?
I think I will check out to see if there is anything on this forum regarding the PLE.