Yet another "no sound" problem - I hope this is some simple mistake

What exactly do you mean by “removing the output buses”? Do you mean the Audio Connections dialog? Are those settings saved on a per track basis?

You will probably need to reconnect the output on every track again

Seriously? I’ve got six months of work containing hundreds of tracks. And what if this happens again in a year by which time I’d have 18 months of work to repair? Can someone here please confirm that this kind of thing actually happens in Cubase? Because if that’s true then how can anyone use it for anything professional?

@Martin.Jirsak

Audio Connections and Studio Setup is not per track. Studio Setup is global settings. Audio Connections Inputs and Outputs are project related, Control Room is global settings.

Yes, that’s what I thought, so I didn’t understand Peakae’s suggestion. But then how DO we explain why if I open an old project and all the tracks are silent, but I can create a new track that plays fine?
I’ve always found Cubase’s audio pipeline murky, and I know from reading the web that many other people also find it confusing which is why there are so many “no sound in Cubase” threads here and on Reddit and VI-Control, so I wish Cubase would give us a tool that shows the whole thing so we can debug these more easily.

To be clear, this issue happens very rarely.
Most of the missing output issues I see here are related to using different or unavailable audio interfaces and simply a user setup issue.
Could Steinberg make the I/O easier to manage ?
(Less tedious to work on the same project on changing interfaces/computers)
IMHO yes.
I’m so used to hit F4 as the first thing when I open a project, that I don’t think about it.

1 Like

There is no explanation to this, it’s definitely a file/data bug.

I think it might be related to Windows audio devices. I’m not sure of anything.
Let’s say Windows decides, for whatever reason, to reinstall an audio device (think audio input or output).
In Device Manager, the “old” device will be grayed-out as “not connected” and the “new” one will replace it.
These two devices, despite having the same name and the same parent device, have different ID.
If Cubase stores those devices ID in the project file, then the tracks that were routed to those “old” outputs before the device replacement, will keep seeking for the disabled outputs.
If this is hard coded into the tracks’ data / project file, then there is absolutely nothing that can be done.

Also, you indicate clearly what caused the issue at the very top of this topic :

I don’t know what to say because this is funny and unfortunate at the same time.
You are using a Realtek sound card.
When no connectors are inserted into a Realtek sound card, the corresponding inputs and outputs turn to “not connected” in device manager. It is literally the same thing as unplugging the usb cable from your interface while you are recording. Cubase loses the device when nothing is connected.
When you plugged the jack in and out repeatedly, what were you expecting to happen ?
This is the exact scenario that can cause Windows (and Cubase) to lose its sh*t and improperly reset and duplicate the device.

1 Like

I reinstalled Cubase and everything ‘seems’ to work now. But that’s an extreme and time-consuming solution.

When you plugged the jack in and out repeatedly, what were you expecting to happen ?
This is the exact scenario that can cause Windows (and Cubase) to lose its sh*t and improperly reset and duplicate the device.

I don’t know what RealTek is/means - it’s just what came with my PC. So I had no expectations.

What should I use instead to prevent this from happening again? (keeping in mind that whatever I use shouldn’t adversely affect using all the other audio sources on my PC like iTunes, Youtube Audacity, FL Studio, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Well, there is a place that describes all the basic stuff…

Some basic understanding how it all works together will be necessary, I’m afraid.

I explained in my post was Realtek was about.

If you don’t want this to happen again, consider buying a dedicated interface, like the Steinberg, Presonus or Focusrite ones. With those, you will be able to plug and unplug your speakers without having the whole device to disconnect itself from your computer.

If you want to hear audio from both Windows and Cubase, make sure it is configured this way.

Well, there is a place that describes all the basic stuff…

steinberg.help

### Setting up Audio

You must set up your audio equipment before you can use it in Cubase.

But that’s what I already have, and did when I first set up Cubase.

Some basic understanding how it all works together will be necessary, I’m afraid.

And that’s the real problem. Where is that documented? I posted a question in this forum months ago asking where Cubase documents its audio-processing pipeline and was told that such a document does not exist publicly. But how else can someone know “how it all works together”? My professional background is in designing image-processing pipeline architectures for medical applications so I understand the basics of signal-processing pipelined architectures but I don’t know Cubase’s.

Several people here (and on VI-Control) suggested I lose the Realtek and get something more suitable for Cubase so I started a thread: https://forums.steinberg.net/t/whats-a-good-cheap-soundcard-to-get/779559 but without this detailed technical knowledge how will I know what sound card won’t have the same problem?

1 Like

If you don’t want this to happen again, consider buying a dedicated interface, like the Steinberg, Presonus or Focusrite ones. With those, you will be able to plug and unplug your speakers without having the whole device to disconnect itself from your computer.

I just need an output device for the audio streams in my PC. I don’t have any need for a full scale “audio interface” with XLR microphone inputs, preamps, 48V phantom power, and all those other bells and whistles. What’s the most minimum alternative to the Realtek that will give me stable trouble-free performance with Cubase and all the other audio on my PC?

If you want to hear audio from both Windows and Cubase, make sure it is configured this way .

I followed the link but the important parts were in French and I didn’t recognize the dialogs or what they were saying. But yes, I do want to hear Windows and Cubase. Earlier, when I was using ASIO4ALL even though I checked the box to only have the application with the focus control the audio, some applications didn’t let go of it, or couldn’t get it in the first place. So my browser wouldn’t give the audio back to Cubase and Premiere Pro gave me no audio at all if Cubase was open, even if it was minimised. That’s why I switched to the ASIO Low Latency driver that Cubase recommended When I get a new sound card I don’t want ANY of those problems.

1 Like

Your main goal is to be able to hear the audio from Cubase and Windows at the same time.

There are things you should know about ASIO drivers, although this is general knowledge that some people have and some don’t. You would then say where is that documented? Well, obviously not in Cubase documentation. Cubase user manual only shows you what is inherent to Cubase, it won’t teach you anything about your system configuration or third-party drivers/software.

Some ASIO drivers are not multi-client compatible. That means the inputs and outputs used by this driver cannot be used by other applications at the same time.
That is the case with Cubase’s Generic Low Latency ASIO driver. With this driver, you will never be able to hear the audio from both Cubase and Windows simultaneously. You are able to hear one at a time and that requires to activate Release Driver when Application is in Background. When Cubase window loses focus, it then unloads the driver and makes the inputs and outputs available for Windows. When you focus back on Cubase, the driver will have to load again. This is completely independent of any audio settings that can be done in Windows. You cannot workaround this behavior.

Nowadays the great majority of ASIO drivers are multi-client compatible, which includes ASIO4ALL (In its latest release and Windows 10/11).
It means that any input and output loaded by that driver can be used simultaneously by Cubase, Windows, other software, and even other multi-client compatible ASIO drivers (ASIO4ALL even allows multiple instances).
The only things such a configuration requires are :

• The sample-rate must match
  • Any exclusive modes must be disabled

You obviously do not want that box to be checked when using a multi-client driver.
Using ASIO4ALL was the right thing to do but your system isn’t configured the right way.
Although my guide contains screenshots that are in French, you don’t even need to read or understand what’s on the images, I posted that as a reference for what people should get on their screen, when they are following the steps I wrote in English. I didn’t really thought that it could prevent you to reach to the same dialog boxes and modify the relevant settings. What’s difficult in that?

1 Like

I didn’t know that. I’ve never been able to get ASIO4ALL to be multi-client on my Win laptop. It’s one of the big things I miss from my Macbook.

I may have to retry it and double check the sample rates and exclusive modes, as sometimes I like to use it on the fly without the hassle of plugging an interface and cables in. :slight_smile:

I tend to use flexasio as that does work with multi-clients for me. But more complicated to setup and seems to lose itself at times. i.e. a little unreliable.

1 Like

Well in its latest release I confirm it is multi-client :grinning:
I have chosen ASIO4ALL in two separate programs and it now shows as two separate instances (if you hover the pointer over the icons it shows the program which is in use for each).
If you match the sample rate and disable exclusive mode, it works like a charm.
ASIO4ALL is now better than ever !

Really? On the same interface?

If so that’s amazing news. I can see on the website it’s been updated - I thought it was a dead in the water project. You have me excited now - what’s the bet it doesn’t work on my laptop audio chipset though!? haha :slight_smile:

Apple have this sewn up so well with the core audio architecture. It’s the only negative when I moved to windows a few years back.

1 Like

Yes on the same interface !
I can have Cubase on StudioLive ASIO driver, RX 8 on ASIO4ALL, Vegas on ASIO4ALL, Spotify, Youtube, and listen to all of them simultaneously on a single StudioLive output . There are no dropouts at all, it’s all smooth ! I can even route a Virtual Cable from an ASIO4ALL instance to another, etc.
I never knew that was possible until now when I tested it for @art1 . So, thank you @art1 :grin:

(it’s better than Mac lol)

1 Like

This is the exact opposite of my experience. When I was using ASIO4ALL I was constantly having problems with other programs such as Premiere Pro or browsers having no audio when Cubase was running, even if Cubase didn’t have the focus. This was regardless of the setting of the “Allow ASIO host application…” checkbox.

When I switched to the Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver those problems went away and I never had any problems until the one that triggered this thread and we’re still not really sure what caused that except that I should stop using the realtek motherboard audio, so I’m in the market for an alternative…

You obviously do not want that box to be checked when using a multi-client driver.

I tried it both way with ASIO4ALL with no difference. And we’ve had other people in the Cubase Users forum reporting the same problem. I could never find any setting with ASIO4ALL that would allow me to use all the audio sources on my PC. Whereas I’ve never had one program lock up the audio stream with the Generic Low Latency ASIO driver. My copy of the generic Low latency driver came with Cubase so I assume it has their blessing.

If I replace my RealTek with a Steinberg product like the UR22mkII, to keep it in the family what driver does that come with?

FWIW I’m 69 and I have cancer and I have a LOT of music to make in whatever time remains so I have no time or patience for experimenting and tinkering. I need day-in, day-out reliability. If Steinberg products are so exquisitely sensitive to the drivers and settings then Steinberg should be telling us what drivers and settings and hardware will work trouble-free.

I’m sorry to hear about your health.

Let’s forget about ASIO4ALL.

The UR22mkII comes with a multi-client ASIO driver.
There’s also the Presonus AudioBox GO, which is cheaper, smaller and more convenient than the UR22mkII, since the inputs are on the back and you told you didn’t need any inputs (audio interfaces without inputs do not exist, just to be clear). Choose whatever pleases you the most.
Actually, interfaces that are not multi-client compatible are a thing of the past, so you should not worry about that.
However the cheapest ones, generally under $60, like Behringer UM2 and UMC22 doesn’t have an ASIO driver. If you have a doubt, just go to the manufacturer website and check if they ship with a specific ASIO driver.

The only drawback about what you want is that you will still have to configure your computer the right way. I’m sorry to tell that again, but if you don’t do this, you still won’t be able to hear the audio from multiple applications. Fortunately, I have updated the steps a bit so you can understand it better.
When it will be done, it will work trouble-free.

No they are not. Steinberg products work as it should. You can’t admit that if the settings in Windows are not right there will be issues at some point and you blame it on Steinberg instead. Windows is what first manages your hardware, so if it isn’t configured for your needs, then it cannot work. You are expecting Steinberg to document things related to Windows, but it does not work like that, if you want to know about Windows then read the Windows documentation.
It is not about experimenting and tinkering, it is about doing the right things.

Steinberg is the only thing I’m having problems with and I have a zillion devices on my PC that produce audio. Furthermore other products such as Adobe Premiere Pro that have special driver requirements DO tell you what drivers to use and what settings to use on them.

It’s in Steinberg’s business interest that everyone have a good result their product. But a Google search shows that debates and discussion and problems with audio and drivers with Cubase are rampant. That’s why I called this thread “Yet another ‘no sound’ problem…”.

Right now in a current thread on this same topic in another forum someone posted today: "My personal odyssey only ended when (1) I gave up on USB for my studio computer and bought Firewire gear (Presonus, RME) and (2) I routed my Windows system audio (e.g. YouTube, etc.) and ASIO (DAWs, etc.) to two different hardware devices. I use a monitor controller with multiple inputs to select one or the other. Still not perfect but way better than anything I’ve tried before. "

It shouldn’t be that hard.

My computer is configured properly and since I’ve never had the slightest problem.
If you want to use one interface per application, then you’re free to go. Just that you will need several pairs of speakers and headphones !?

If you want to use one interface per application, then you’re free to go. Just that you will need several pairs of speakers and headphones !?

I don’t. I thought what that guy did was extreme but he had been on this ‘odyssey’ for awhile because nothing else seemed to work for him. But it illustrates the kinds of problems people are having out there. Most of us are musicians just trying to make music - we don’t want to have to have be have Microsoft MCSE -level knowledge just to use a DAW.

Come on,
Hundreds of thousends Cubase users. All have an audiointerface. Some have an issue.
Delta

Well, it’s not that hard. Even some beginners have configured their interfaces.

On some other DAWs the use of the audio I/O is the most asked problem as well.

There are many bad advices out there and these get pushed by a lot of idiots,
thinking they know it better. YouTube isn’t the answer to everything.
Sometimes the use of the own brain is still required.
And the user manuals are still a valid resource for information.

1 Like