Zoom very slow in Cubase 8.5

With this new Cubase 8.5.15 was born, again, the problem of slow zoom. If you use the G or H keys on the keyboard is really slow zoom not afford to work. Everything happens when there are so many tracks.

The only way for this to work properly, is to remove the graphics of the tracks from Cubase preferences, but this of course is absurd, because you can no longer work the audio directly from the sequencer.

I think there is a problem only resolved with an update by Steinberg.

Why Steinberg ago not knowing anything about?

All very sad.

This could be to do with auto-generation of hitpoints. Turn off this feature in the preferences (can’t say where right now!) to see if it helps.

Mike.

I have tried disabling the feature but it does not improve anything. Zoom is always slow. This thing is a problem that can only resolve the Sternberg. Cubase 8.0.40 works pretty well, is new Cubase to have problem. Wavelab 8.0 also had the same problem, with the update to 9.0 zoom is perfect.

It 'a problem with Cubase, which estiste already since version 5.0, and that Steinberg has dragged on for years.

After I did a lot of testing to see if this problem had been improved zoom you upgrade your Cubase latest version (8.5.20). Unfortunately not. There is a slight improvement, but when you load several audio tracks in the Timeline zoom in and zoom out is very slow, it makes it hard to work with.

A real shame because I love this software always but this problem is disarming.

No has news about?

How many tracks are we talking, 800 ? 1200 ?
If you turned off auto hitpoint detection, the project would still have them. You would have to remove them to see any difference.
I can’t say I have the problem, but I usually don’t have more than 100 tracks.

I’m talking about 20-30 tracks. I disabled it Hitpoints but nothing changes. This is a known issue with Cubase, even before this update.

But even when load 10 tracks, are already seeing the slowdown

Hi all

I had exactly this problem, tried to systematically figure what the problem was, couldn’t figure it At some point i cleaned up the registry(using a program called VIT registry fix… Very good) and stopped a couple of unnecessary services, unfortunately can’t remember which ones, However everything suddenly went back to normal, scrolling was smooth again, I know this post doesn’t help much but it may give you the impetus to dig a little, it’s most likely something some of you can put right.

Best regards

Dave

But I do not have a PC but work on Mac, and this particular program is not there. I’ll try with another program to clean registry, but on Mac do not think is helpful.

But, no one has solved this problem ?

It’s ridiculous how slow the zoom and responsiveness is with the latest update, CPU usage seems worse to me as well - under mac OS X 10.11.5. I really want to use Cubase but Logic is just so snappy and CPU efficient it’s crazy. Ableton has the fast horizontal zoom of them all, especially if you hack the key repeat speed via Terminal - and its totally unaffected by however many regions are on the screen.

I think windows users are getting the good end of the deal with Cubase. When Logic 9, which hasn’t been supported for years, runs better than a newly updated app - Cubase 8.5.20 - then you know something is strange.

I find it very sluggish as well. it seems that all things where waveform redrawing is involved is very slow on MAC.

Same Thing here ! I only have 3 audio tracks, 2 without any cuts and 1 track with 2 cuts.
I remember that it wasn’t like that back in SX 2/3. The Zoom on the PC was very very fast
compared to the OSX versions (as fast as Ableton Live). Even when you hit the ‘G’ and ‘H’ keys, blazing fast.
I hope that this is something Steinberg investing some time because it slows down the workflow.
It is getting worse the more tracks you add. A usual mixing session has between 30 and 120 tracks
and it’s getting quite intense. It only happens when you have waveforms/events displayed.

Any updates regarding this behaviour ?

Yep i just purchased and installed a license, and i am finding the interface really sluggy… i just came here in my quest for a solution. Steinberg, please answer!

I’ve also spoke to Sternberg about the sluggish GUI on the mac, they are aware of the problem. Hope we can see some fixes soon.

Best!

Great, good thing they are made aware of the the issue. Its a real shame it is like this atm, considering the general awesomeness of 8.5.xx . Makes it hard to work when there is lot of stuff on the screen. My workaround is to always hide stuff Im not working on. Works ok but it shouldn’t have to be like that in 2016

I hope that too since it makes it really hard to work on bigger mixing projects.

That’s encouraging to hear Scott, thanks for that update! I found using version 8.0.35 and turning of hitpoints / background color modulation in the event preferences made things much more tolerable. But yeah, 8.5 is unusable to me - just gets too infuriating when things slow down like crazy trying to navigate the arrange screen.

• too many 3rd party plugins
  • hit point detection preferences
  • internet connection (sometimes)
  • corrupt registry through VST components (on MAC)
  • sometimes even the samplerate of the project vs audio samplerate (importing 96khz into 44.1khz project file)

Zooming is a laughing gag in Cubase 8.5.20 , sry guys. Grab one point in the ruler and move it up and down. It’s not responsive! I’m talking about >1sec. Ah ok, I’m in Stop-Mode, NO plugins, 46 Audiotracks. “…Hitpoints” is disabled.
Logic X and S1 are very smooth with the same, I repeat, the same waves, same counts and also NO plugins.

But not only zoom is very sluggish. Gesture to move in the Mixconsole left or right is waiting about 1 or 2 seconds. Or scrolling down by gesture in the arrange, same “speed”.

So please Steinberg, if an iMac late 2011 is not compatible with Cubase 8.5, refresh your technical requirement (and after this information, get back my license of Cubase). Why? iMac-Users are “mostly” not in the situation to change the graphics (or anything else except drives, memory or fans).