16 inserts per track

opinions? well… Use any plugin chainer plugin wherever you want and have unlimited inserts, pre and/or post, and even have any of your chains saved as ONE fx preset each…

:mrgreen:

My slogan: In Pro Tools you have only 10 Insert Slots for all this stuff… :wink:
(Hi/Lo Cuts, Gain, Phase switch, Channel EQ, etc.must be separately inserted (!) = not included in PT´s mixer)
…Cubase has this all. :wink:

sounds good

This should end the debate, unless they delete the post. Here’s my Drum Bus FX chain with 9 plugins on one channel doing parallel compression and reverb for the drums… and I’m not finished yet. I’ll probably add a couple more plugins for muting the two sides.

One FX chain preset to get there.

this also brings up the topic of PDC – 3rd party plugin chainers as far as i know don’t correctly report latency as you add plugins, so any parallel processing with existing material in the project using latency-inducing plugins in the 3rd party chainer will be impossible (unless you go on manually setting up arbitrary delays - not too user friendly). maybe someone someday at SB wakes up.

+1 16 Inserts or a sub-insert system

what gets me more is why only 4 cue sends…what studio has a band with 4 people in it,also 4 monitors, i use 4 sets of monitors for mixing,not including the monitors in the studio tracking room,and we cant have 2 or more monitors on at the same time,i would love to have a seperete monitor switch jjust for the sub,so i can kick it on or off when i want,and back to the phones i had recorded a small string section once and everyone wanted there own phone mix,i went nuts doing that…make it a option of how many cues u want and monitors,hell i have 96 i/o i can have 8 cue sends!!!

I’d be happy if we had 8 regular inserts and then 4 post fader inserts as opposed to the 2 we currently have. and if they could be collapsable/hidden so that you only see them when you use them.

honestly channels don’t need a gazillion inserts, but to have freedom to explore a bit would be nice. and having more post fader inserts would be great to get some intereting changes to the sound without affecting things like volume and panning.

and if we had 8 regular inserts then people would probably be more happy about the amount of control they have at their disposal without having to resort to group channels. :wink:

What I don’t like about chainers is that you can’t see what you have in them on the mixer view. I like to see everything first glance on the mixer view. As for parallel usage, another request here in the forum is to have a “mix knob” for every insert.

FYI,

Blue Cat’s PatchWork
Blue Cat's PatchWork User Manual
Latency Compensation
Latency is also reported to the host application so that it can be compensated.
However, some hosts may require that the plug-in is > deactivated and re-activated > before the new latency is taken into account (Cubase, Sonar and Studio One for example).
Restarting transport may also be required (Pro Tools 10 and earlier for example).

This workaround may work for other chainers.

ok, thanks. i was basing this on my experience with bidule, which is much more complex and modular and is harder to manage pdc-wise. with simple chainers like patchwork this is probably more streamlined. i should check it out.

+1

Don’t know if sb mentiomed this already, but to make more insert slots unobstrusive, you could simply add them dynamically, one after the other.

Logic, for example starts with something like 4 isert slots (can’t remember the exact number) and adds more slots automatically as you need them. So you basically always have one empty slot at the end. Also, inser slots are much smaller in Logic and take up less screen space.

C’mon people do you really use over the 8 insert per channel, or do you have a few channels which “need” more then 8 inserts?

It is not a smart plan to completely rewrite an engine just to have 2 channels out of the 32 able to insert more then 8 plugs, that’s why the work-a-round with a second bus shouldn’t be 2 hard to handle.

I guess it really depends on what you’re doing. I could imagine many people, especially working with real recordings, don’t need more. But with electronic music, sound design can involve lots of plug-ins on a single source.

+1

While I have never ended up using 6-8 plugins on a channel ever, it is a GREAT way to compare different compressors, eq’s etc.
More easy than to replace, adjust settings, replace, adjust settings etc.
Load as many you want, set their settings respectively, and turn them on/off in quick succession.

Of course, it’s also simply a matter of comfort. And one might think that nowadays, there should be no reason for such limitation (looking at other DAWs, for example).

+1

Yes please! Not needed often but great when comparing say multiple comps etc or in sound design.

+1 Absolutely! 8 is not enough for sound design etc computers can handle serious processing now, there is no need to obtain the 8 insert limitation of the past. Lets go 16 or even unlimited!

+1000

6 pre fader inserts is just too little.