1800 Style Font

Does anyone know of a SMuFL font that looks like the Capella 1800 font? I want to use it in Dorico. i have the font now, I just can’t get it working in Dorico.

Here is a link to what the font looks like:

Here are links to the directory that contains the two files I have that I think should make the font work but I’m not sure where to go next with this.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18IOuJSirCj-lx0aE-ymwOlh4evEA6qf2?usp=sharing

1 Like

Maybe this one?

Hi @MarkVining

I’ve got a look at the shared font you mentioned above, the font looks to work somehow with Finale & Sibelius. Whereas with Dorico, the 133 glyphs need to be remapped à la SMuFL.

I might make it SMuFL compliant, but I just can’t promise when I’ll do as I’m very busy with teaching and making other musical projects.

The screenshot looks nice, sound like this font is intended for church chants no ?

I find this font rather charming and think it would be lovely for choice projects. Do be sure to let us know if you manage to remap it. I would certainly be interested.

1 Like

I will try to remap it :wink:

1 Like

Here we go! here’s my first test attempting to SMuFL capella1800 font:

:smiley:

3 Likes

To me, this monstrosity of a font looks like what you’d get if you asked a 10 year old to design a poster containing musical symbols. Furthermore, some of the symbols (Ped., fermata, all articulations) look identical to their modern appearances. Whoever designed the font evidently didn’t have a firm grasp of circa 1800 notation. Many of the original printings of Beethoven’s compositions are available to view on the IMSLP website for all to see.

No thanks!!

1 Like

I remapped the font to SMuFL, now the font name is called: cap1800. I’m attaching a zip file including the otf and the json files.

Make sure to make a folder named “cap1800” in the SMuFL system folder, then install the font to your fonts system.

cap1800.zip (34.9 KB)

3 Likes

No need to be rude notesetter.

6 Likes

WOW! That’s really kind of you.

Thanks so much!!

1 Like

You’re welcome @MarkVining! by the way have a look at my website and also at my latest smufl fonts [here](https://forums.steinberg.net/t/mezzo-mezza-smufl-fonts-MEZZO & MEZZA my-latest-designs/763160/8).

1 Like

I was wondering why I recognized your name when you asked for permissions for the directory. I use RealScore as my default jazz font. I was trying to decide between RealScore and BopMusic. I also purchased The Copyist. I love your fonts.
My plan is to use Copyist for my classroom worksheets and BopMusic for all my jazz performance stuff.
For classical music I am currently using September 2.0.

1 Like

Thanks for being a valuable NorFonts costumer Mark. For classical I think you can try Da Capo (Schott engraving style) and Scordatura (modern engraving style) and maybe when available my latest MEZZO (similar to Igor Engraver -late 90s) & MEZZA (similar to Henle engraving style).

That must be some of Robert Pichaud’s earlier work. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

September font -I think- it was designed by somebody else but not Rob.P.

Yes. September 2.0 is by Robert Piéchaud.

https://www.klemm-music.de/notation/november2/en/index.php

I think the font is supposed to be Haydn like. Some of his works look like this.

I mean the person who designed (drawn) the font is someone else, Pièchaud maybe only ported the design to a font? I don’t really remember where I’ve read that years ago that someone else have drawn the font. Anyway, I maybe wrong… :slight_smile:

What I’m really loving about the concept of SMuFL fonts, and I can’t believe it’s taken me long to think of it this way, is that it gives composers like me (transitioning away from sketching on paper) an opportunity to reclaim a written style - here, I can design my own clefs and noteheads, and it can be my own computerised style.

2 Likes

You write September and we read November.