A professional win clip? This has been requested since version 8!

A professional win clip? This has been requested since version 8! Steinberg, are you here?

1 Like

Hi,

The Trim automation does this. Or am I missing something?

You should not be familiar with this feature in Pro Tools, Studio One, Samplitude, and Reaper (and others, no doubt). The gain clip belongs to the clip (not to the track). It is an automation of the volume of the clip with automation points whose configuration visually changes the audio shape. In all cases, 0 db is placed in the vertical center of the clip. We can not only reduce, but increase each point of volume, and in certain Daw choose the type of curve. The volume automation that concerns the track does not modify, in Cubase, the audio form (as in Samplitude), and its ridiculous Clip gain is placed at the very top of the clip and forbidden to increase above 0 db. There is also the volume function on the envelope, so poorly designed that it is not worth talking about. I am a big user of the gain clip, which replaces some of the compression, especially on the vocals. So, I no longer use Cubase for 2/3 of my audio productions while waiting for a professional gain clip. I am very surprised at this unique absence at Steinberg.Here is an example found quickly

1 Like

If you mean something like this, try the Pencil Tool on the Audio Event.

That being said, the Cubase event gain is dog water, and desperately needs a modernization.

2 Likes

Do you see the shape of the waves adapting to the volume curves? No. See where you are in decibel? No. We don’t even know what the position of the dots represents. This is not serious (I’m not talking about you, who kindly try to look with me, but Steinberg).

1 Like

The shape of the waves do adapt to the curve

1 Like

Well the red & green are both the same audio (the red is unmodified), so yeah it does look like it is adapting to me. But perhaps I’m misunderstanding what you mean by adapting?

I can see how showing some values would be useful, although personally I’m gonna set things based on sound not numbers.

I believe they indicate the percentage of audio’s range and not actual dB amounts because they are relative to other settings like the Event’s Volume attribute.

1 Like

Yes, excuse me, I confused it with track automation (I’m not often in Cubase this year). However, the problem, as I described in detail above, is that you can reduce the signal, but not increase it. This is major. And not having a db display, for me, is unacceptable. Even the info panel is silent on this point. Yet Cubase is full of accurate information on similar elements. The only solution for Steinberg is to reduce or increase the volume of the clip from a center line that is at 0 db. Cubase is a very advanced Daw in some aspects, but this flaw is big. Steinberg have weird delays at times. It’s not long, for example, since we have the markers and other track elements in the midi editor. I asked (humbly) since the version … I don’t know anymore, 9 maybe. Same thing with the transparency of audio forms. But that’s settled. What remains to be corrected, by the way, is the ARA (Melodyne) compared to crossfades. It’s really dysfunctional and it blocks work. Unless I’m not up to date in bug fixes…

1 Like

With quite a bit of shame I plug this here.

CBATC: 1. Instead of the (quite efficient) macro of split+DOP gain preset, range tool could create its own volume control for qualifying tracks.

1. Have unity gain in the middle if drawing an envelope curve. Else, if we want to keep it as it is, offer a pre-event clip gain trim.

2. Have nodes spit dB value tooltips.

And yet

Weird. Not here. I wonder why? You see the top clip where there is volume automation with the pencil. If I go down, it reduces. But at the top I am at zero. Impossible to exceed zero.

Is there an option?

Because it works in combination with the Audio Events Volume Attribute. Use that to increase the overall level of the Audio Event. Then the line drawn will indicate the percent of that level to use - 0% at the bottom and 100% at the top.

I realize this doesn’t match your preferred implementation. But it works fine.

Ha, that, I knew. I had already thought about this detour. But I don’t like it, indeed, because it’s too many un natural maneuvers to compensate for an inconsistency in the software. This way of doing things that is yours (if you use it other than for this example) proves my point. It’s that we need a positive and negative gain clip. And I would add that we need a measurement in db. To modify a volume without measure is to go against the logic of recording, mixing and mastering. That’s why I’m so surprised that Cubase doesn’t offer a professional earning clip. I think our discussion is closed. Thank you for your attention to my original question, Raino.