Allow dragging files from Pool Trash into track

+1.

Why would you delete those? That’s sort of on you. As a producer, I strategically keep all sorts of extra tracks as well as raw tracks… The only thing that gets deleted are 100% bad and unneeded takes. I utilize track versions to maintain each incarnation of the track - raw recordings, editing, DOP processing, etc. And or, I duplicate the tracks, put them in a folder for exampled named “raw recordings”, disable the tracks, and then hide them. I also create multiple ‘Backup Project’ backups at different stages of the project.

You should not be depending on the ‘Trash’ as a back tracking device for material even though it does exist for that reason, it exists for user error and for project clean up. Getting things out of the trash a week later is just pure erroneous work ethic.

Jeez - this is getting a bit OTT…

If I ever need a lesson in the correct and proper way to conduct operations of this program I’ll PM you - I presume you’ve been vetted and officially certified by Steinberg?

1 Like

No I’m not vetted, you’re just using the trash in a way that doesn’t make sense and is not intended, giving it to you straight - nothing personal.

I never understood this “I don’t need this feature so neither do you” approach that some people seem to have. So unnecessary and pointless.

I agree with the OP, didn’t even know that you couldn’t just drag straight from the Trash. It’s not uncommon to have hundreds or thousands of files in the pool. If you find something you need in the thrash, what’s the problem with being able to drag them straight to the project (and having them automatically moved up from Trash to Audio) without taking any detours? A perfectly valid feature request.

Because some of us would rather see Steinberg spend time elsewhere.

The trash is treated differently, because it is the trash. It’s just like how on Windows, you cannot explore the contents of files/folders that are in the trash.

Then at least admit that the current situation where Cubase arbitrarily puts files into the trash of its own accord should stop - that way I’ll never have files in there that need moving and thus upsetting you!

When you delete a file on the arrange page that’s been imported, it stays in the pool.
When you delete a recording take it goes straight in the trash - WRONG, in any way shape or form. It should behave exactly the same.

Just as on an OS, I, and only I, should put files in the trash.

I also vehemently oppose the fact that when the trash is emptied, Cubase bypasses the OS and physically deletes the files permanently - they should just be removed from Cubase’s Pool and Audio Files folder and put in the OS trash, where I can decide if and when to delete them

Why? Recorded files and Imported files are two different actions, it doesn’t make sense to treat them as the same.

The import protocol is different, because people sometimes import files enmasse to the pool, as essentially a reserve of files. This is what the ‘Library’ protocol is essentially, you can Import one projects pool into another projects pool. A ‘Library’ can be an organized collection of multiple pools.

Recorded files are immediately new events of which the user is/should be aware of whether they are keepable or not, so deleting them straight to trash makes sense, and then when the project is backed up, these uneeded files can be optionally purged. That is efficient project management and I do it - ALL - THE - TIME. If they were to fulfill your request, I would have to now work around and it and probably do multiple steps to delete blatantly obvious unneeded files and edits. This makes zero sense. The current system is perfect. The program provides multiple utilities to keep and organize “maybe needed takes”.

If you want a work around for - what you want - you can just bounce your newly recorded files and then delete them, and the bounces will remain in pool instead of the trash…

Let me give you an example of why what you want - makes no sense:

I’m recording a 3 piece band - guitar, bass, drums… I ask the band if they’re ready, they say “yes”, I say “rolling”, hit record, band starts the song together but whops, the bass players volume knob was down, band stops playing after a second knowing it’s a false start.

You’re telling me, if I delete that take… it shouldn’t go straight to trash…? If your idea was implemented, I would have to go into the pool to find all these junk takes and manually drag them to trash?

Particularly annoying because deleted takes get put in the trash automatically without my authorisation > :angry:

You’re giving your authorization when you press the delete key.

This is just how the program works, and it’s actually fairly logical once you understand it. You’re not using the program right, you’re not utilizing the multiple utilities or topologies to preserve “maybe needed” takes, and so your work ethic has an issue here. The protocol of deleting newly recorded files is designed to get rid of blatantly unneeded things and then purging them, to keep the project organized and reduce it’s size which saves a lot of back up time. Files stay in the trash in case of the occasional mistake between the deletion and the purge in which maybe a user has lost their undo history.

You simply should not be using the trash the way you are, which is probably why it is limited in function - - - so that users don’t erroneously depend on it like you are. I’m trying to help you, engineer to engineer so please accept this as if we are building a bridge in which peoples lives are at risk, and you’ve overlooked something in your design, there shouldn’t be this kind of resistance to critical counter input.

1 Like

Why over-complicate this? Allow users to drag a clip from the trash to the project window if they want to. Then you can stick to how you do things and others will have additional functionality. You make it sound like it will cause problems. I think the universe can survive this ordeal.

1 Like

No, I already explained why and you are simply refusing to acknowledge that explanation.

:laughing: Christ…

+1
Why not?
As long as the files are automatically added back to the Pool again I don’t see the problem.

Ha! I’m obviously not at a high enough level of understanding in the matter!

So you won’t even let me have a preference checkbox? :smiley:

It would definitely have to be a preference checkbox if it was changed, but I don’t see the point, wasted man hours coding that. I promise you you’ll be happy if you adapt my suggestions instead of relying on the trash or Steinberg coding/changing this (because they probably wont)

Ok,

I found a way

Go to pool, open trash, click and drag the file from trash into the active pool … then you can use the insert media drop down. Not as quick as just using the file in trash (which my cat decided it wanted to put in there after walking on my keyboard), but an easy work around. There was no way I wanted to play that guitar lick again!

1 Like

Yeah, but what do you do, if you have got a really big session with multiple instruments?
You basically have to drag that file up for minutes if you’re out of luck.

@vinylizor I absolutely agree with you.
There is no reason, why a trashed audio file cannot be dragged into the project.
On every mixing session it happens at least 1-2 times, I have to look for single files in the pool to drag them back into the project.
Mostly because I am searching for additional vocal tracks to double the main vocals. Right now I have to reimport them manually, instead of using the built in pool.

There is absolutely no point in restricting that operation.

1 Like

I need this also. Sometimes I changed my mind, and I want to check those removed takes, and I had to drag it very far because I usually record several hundred takes in one project. Some of us said we don’t need those takes, but if that’s true then Cubase should simple erase them permanently as removed, right? You know that doesn’t make sense because we change our minds all the time. Actually I even need a player to check files in the pool more conveniently.

Will this feature cause problems to anyone anyway?

Yeah, super annoying if you remove a track you don’t want, it goes into the trash. Took me forever to figure out why I can’t drag and drop it onto the timeline. Cubase needs to take notes from Reaper on stuff like this.

Anyway, if I figure out a way to not allow Cubase to put removed .WAV files in the pool “trash” I will let you know because it’s annoying.