Are you ready for 10.5 ?

Yeah, and I’m not immune to that in my own world. Currently learning new front end technologies that don’t do anything the older tech didn’t do, but resume enhancement is a reality if you want too keep working. Fortunately, my career is less dependent on the version of the OS than it is on programming languages. If it were otherwise, every box in my house would have the latest and greatest OS because there would be a career benefit to doing so.

Yeah, you’re right it is unacceptable! :laughing:

You have a very healthy attitude (no sarcasm)! I use the same OS backup strategy as you and had to resort to a backup a few times. But this is of no help if freshly installed software does not work. Then I will have to troubleshoot, which takes time. I run a small but complicated setup. 1 DAW, 3 slave computers. External midi hardware and controllers, some of them midi synced. Not everything works out of the box, some things are old and need workarounds.
And cubase has many different level of users, from one man musical projects (me) to multi client multi room studio’s.
Lets just call it different perspectivse. From the musician to the engineer to the IT guy.
Cheers!

Unless i’m mistaken, i felt that the argument which set us on this path, is whether it’s wise to stay on Win 7 with updates disabled vs Win 10 which will try and force them upon you.

Yes, no-one will dispute that installing fresh doesn’t come with it’s own caveats, but that’s a user driven decision as to when you perform those installations.

My point is if you put that move off holding the attitude that “If it aint broke don’t fix it”, then when the time comes (which it will) you may not have the advantage of time on your side - this heavily depends if you’re client driven or not, of course, which i presume the guy i original replied to is. It only takes a file version that doesn’t open on one of your apps to force you into an OS move, i’d rather be ahead of that curve if i know it’s coming.

Having the time to plan means that all my legacy software (i.e. for ageing synths/outboard hardware) just runs inside multiple virtual machines now and i can bring them up far quicker than booting a dedicated machine, run them in isolation and copy/paste between them. Utilising modern tech means the virtualisation can be backed up and ran however i require it, i couldn’t do that with the previously physical machines and i feel far more comfortable running it this way than holding so much faith in a 15 year old machine that could fail on me. The copy and pasting alone is a godsend if i’m honest.

If it ain’t broke then ensure it ain’t gonna break is probably my stance. :slight_smile: I thank a healthy dose of OCD for my ‘healthy’ attitude lol.

And yes, you’re right in regards to levels of users, i have a small 2-room setup and it’s a more complicated setup in regards to computing than a friend who has a 5 room studio - but that’s mainly because he’s using hardware all the way to the DAW and thus only deals in audio, and i think that’s why he’s SOOO much better than me - i’m too easily sidetracked into tech/controllers and do the whole Midi>Process>Audio chain. . :frowning:

CAN’T WAIT… I was ready 3 months ago. It’s like Christmas, excited to see what we get, even though most of it’s stuff we don’t need, will never use or care for, there’s always that 1 killer thing that makes it worth while.

With the drop of Windows 7/8 and VST2 support I really hope, that the good people at Steinberg have taken advantage of the vector graphics and have improved the currently limited HiDPI support for Windows 10 systems. Bringing in some high resolution visual sweetness (like in Dorico) and adding some modularity to the GUI layout (like in WaveLab) would be dope improvements.

Well, at least that’s what I am looking forward to see in addition to audio editing smart tool, improved sends and several other workflow improvements.

For me after the last couple of updates its more about what will they take out

If the new WaveLab 10 is even remotely a precursor of what’s about to come to Cubase 10.5, then I think I actually might be a happy upgrader :slight_smile:
If not, well… Studio One is pretty awesome these days.

Agreed. WaveLab 10 is a great example of forward-thinking programming and GUI design.

They still have not addressed some VERY basic issues over the years… Pretty disappointing. Luckily they are small things and I still think cubase is one of the best programs to work on. But I have addressed such issues in the feature request and many people have also commented on them “mainly agreeing” and Steinberg as yet to deliver. For example… I would like to be able to assign tap tempo via midi and it is still not possible. I had created a whole list of items and I do not think any of them were addressed. I just scanned the forums and this tap tempo issue has been going on since before 2013… Lol. Okay. I always get excited about updates and I always upgrade, but this time I hope Steinberg focuses on some basic things that need to be reviewed.

I hope 10.5 will fix the issue of long track names not wrapping to 2 lines in the mixer on Windows 10… but I’m not going to hold my breath.

You can just record and then use the function tempo from midi:

Cubase pro only… And that is too many steps.
I have a hotkey setup in order to bring up the tap tempo menu. But then I have to click on that. I just want to set a specific hot key in order to tap the tempo. Pretty easy to implement, I think. Steinberg just has other priorities instead of listening to what people really would like. That is something so simple and so small, but it is often those things that can get in the way of workflow.

They have other priorities vs what you want perhaps?:-

Not saying that you haven’t got a valid issue there, but what can you do - there’s only so many requests that get attention, and it didn’t even register in a poll here. It’s nothing Steinberg are doing to deliberate ignore it’s users.

I am not saying they ignore… However, there have been many basic things that have been ignored. I think Steinberg has a fantastic software, but it does have some basic features that are still head scratching… That is all. I do not know how much they record and use the software themselves— if they did then perhaps they would have fixed these things. It is like this. Say you have a well built house but… Some rooms just need to be redone or perhaps there are chips that have come of the walls… Is steinberg the type of company that will ignore those chips and just put furniture in front of them? Or are they going to clean and fix the things that need to be repaired first… Then put in new furniture.

But what you say there is all from your perspective, for me Cubase has MORE than any other DAW that i use to accommodate my needs, it ticks so many boxes.

Ableton has tap tempo such as you require, but you can’t do vocal comping - which i consider a basic feature, Studio One can’t deal with SysEx data for external Synths - Again, i consider that basic requirement for a MIDI sequencer. I don’t think any of these companies are failing to listen to their users, or ignoring… As shown in that poll, it’s just not on the radar. And yeah, that really sucks if it’s something you want.

In your case, there are workarounds so it’s not like a critical component missing or failing so consider yourself lucky as there’s some serious bugs that can cost you hours.

I agree. I think most any every-day users would agree, as long as they are aware of those features.

Again, I think most every-day users would agree, as long as they are aware of those features.

I disagree. The on-staff employees I know use it practically every day. They also make sure it’s in the hands of DAW-savy users such as Jukie XL, Hans and his huge support group, plus many professional users who use all or portions of the Cubase environment and are regularly giving feedback which is part of the agreement.

:laughing: I can’t count the times I have used Cubase as an analogy for the “big luxury house” vs. “the new house” vs. “the industry standard” house. When someone moves into the neighborhood, what do they want? One style house doesn’t fit for everyone. Some want a newer house with a new foundation however it lacks a Jacuzzi and the carpet colors are different in every bedroom. Others want luxury, and are willing to tolerate the chips, code violations, and miss matching decor . Others who have been renters all their life, and now finally buying their first home, simply drive by, see the statue of Max Martin plus a replica of the Vegas Bellagio fountain in the front yard, and that’s all it takes for a sale regardless of the functionality of the house.

What I have discovered is that unless you know the amount of Steinberg resources at hand, or you code for Cubase, it’s not as simple as “clean and fix the things that need to be repaired first, then put in new furniture.” I think most anyone would agree with that right? But reality is that you need new customers without alienating the loyal ones. It’s a very competitive environment. You need the latest data showing who, and how many are using specific features. You need to know the (relatively small) portion of total users implementing a DAW controller, and if so what kind. The failure of Houston isn’t forgotten. You need to know your customers and your target future customer. What my Cubase priorities are compared to most other users may or may not fit with the majority. Composers for film, games, pop producers, EDM producers, tracking and mix engineers all have very different objectives.

So why not fix those “things that need to repaired first?” My guess is that it may cost too much money at this time. Always follow the money. You say it’s a basic simple fix, or just need a simple added Key Command? I have been begging for a way to simply close the History window for years. The only clue I have been given is that due to the older code involved with that and a few other windows, the fix is very involved…meaning take too many resources. My guess is in the future, that window may dumped, and a new history window be implemented perhaps another tab, and therefore this issue at this moment is “on hold.” So don’t think something so simple is really simple because if it were, it would be addressed.

I suspect a bunch of what Steinberg has “ignored” over the years is stuff that is really hard to change/fix/improve because of legacy code limitations.

With C10.5 only running on WIn10, that could be because they are dumping that legacy code and bringing everything up to modern standards.

This is pure speculation, I have no knowledge of what Steinberg is planning. However dropping OS support is a big move that most developers with a large installed base would not undertake lightly. I expect most would only do it for a real good reason. And I can’t think of any better reason than updating Cubase’s foundation.

You’re telling me they can’t add a tempo tap via midi or a direct key command? Or allow us to save specific presets with previous names without having to type the exact name? Or how about having the ability to solo a track when the edit Page is open? The only way to solo it is to click the S button. Try it. It has bothered me for at least the last 5 years.

When I open track editor the key command for solo “s” doesn’t work.

I’ve used other daws. Ableton doesn’t come close to cubase. No other daws do, which is why I still use cubase. I just hope that they eventually iron out the kinks. Instead of adding a bunch of new features.
I would love to.see clip based production and other modern features just like everyone else. But… I would like to see better menus with more thoughtful design, more customizable options. Easier midi assign. Easier keyboard assign. Ableton crushes in this department.
Basically every button should be able to be right clicked and assigned. I know how to use quick controls but it is more demanding to quickly setup various midi controllers etc.

If they tackled those things. I personally would be more than thrilled. I’ve been a cubase user for… About 17 years now.

I can only talk from my own experience, but it’s likely that were they to tackle something like the MIDI mapping direct to a control to tap tempo, then they wouldn’t want to just splice in a single hardcoded function and pop it up as a menu item somewhere… You 'd want to invest the time to rewrite or make a whole system that can be modular in what you map to what etc. Otherwise you could have issues where mappings interfere with each other and potentially put the software into a loop/disrupt other functions in the software.

I think that’s what stops ‘obvious’ fixes/improvements from happening even if they appear easy… If you have your core code, and then on top of that sits your fixes and patched in functions to appease users… That really weighs you down in the future as you have to place additional checks and clauses in where things may fall down, and force other areas of the program to be ‘aware’… Then you’re adding in an additional layer of code to manage… And it becomes un-manageable as a bi-product.

So yeah, bringing that legacy code up to date to deal with additions is the way to go. But it’s a big job, in fact, the scale of testing alone would be huge when you start stripping that back. So i totally get why they don’t want to be hardcoding/splicing in functions… As all you’re doing is adding to the pile. Ask any coder and they will all tell you it’s the bane of their lives, which is why you always strive to make things modular and controllable via matrix/xml style mappings so that the code can be fixed and only the reliant mapping data needs to be changed.

This is why Studio One built on relatively new code base is progressing so fast, the question is can they keep that project managed efficiently in the future… Cubase is carrying 30 years of legacy in it’s shadow, i can only imagine what a mess is there behind the scenes… Through no-ones fault but that’s several generations of coders and management.