Audition tool in audio editor

I recently started using Cubase 9.5 as my main DAW and found an issue and I was wondering if any of you have also experienced it.
When using the audition tool (play tool with the speaker icon) in the audio editor most of the time when it is activated and the scroll bar starts coloring over the waveform, the audio is not in sync with the waveform as the scrolling advances over the waveform.
Rarely is scrolling in sync with the waveform, in fact normally the audio goes ahead of the waveform. Hope that with this explanation it is clear.
Please let me know if you also have this issue.
Thanks.

Yes, you are right. I have the same problem in 9,5 but also in older versions.
I don’t remember when it started, maybe at 7 version , but I am not so sure.
So anyway, this problem exist for me, too.

Just I checked, from version 7.5 exist this problem.

Thanks for confirming. For me this is a very important issue and if in fact it has been present all the way back since version 7.5 it should have been taken care of by Steinberg.

It’s most likely caused by having some high latency plugins running in the project, causing everything to be delayed to stay in sync.

Nope, I tested with just one track with audio, no plugins and the delay is there. Just sometimes when I click start the tool it’s in sync but most of the times it’s not.
Looks like a bug to me.

Did you check the ASIO driver buffer isn’t set too high as that would also give you some latency.

It makes no difference what the buffer is set to. I have an RME Fireface 802 and checked from down to 48 samples up to 2048 and it’s exactly the same.
If I click on the icon to start the the tool let’s say like 6 times, once it will be in sync and the other five times the audio is played before its corresponding position in the waveform.

Have you checked it? I’m pretty sure it’s a bug.

By the way, the scrub tool works fine. It’s the audition tool used in audio editor that’s causing this out of sync issue.
Could anyone of you be so kind to check this? It’s as easy as opening a wave file, with silent parts in the recording and check that this out of sync issue is also reproduced in your system (audio played before the colored scrolling bar goes over the waveform).
I really consider it an important tool fo my workflow and would like to have it working correctly.
Thanks in advanced.

So, nobody else has this problem? Could any of you check please? I use to use this tool a lot in previous versions and miss it in my workflow.

It seems to work like it should here. I have a very old interface.

Have you tried disabling ASIO Guard in the Studio Setup menu?

Yes I have, makes no difference. Maybe this is an issue caused by Windows 10. Hopefully Steinberg can check it and see if it is actually an issue.

I have rechecked this issue and confirm that I have it independently of any settings I change. As I said befor it only happens in the editor window. In the main project window this play (audition) tool works perfectly all the time. It’s in the editor window where I just can´t get the scroll to sync with the waveform. Maybe just one out of ten times I get it to sync. Does this really only happen to me?

Don’t see it here on my Windows 10 Laptop which is my slower Windows 10 machine, even when using onboard soundcard. Looks to be in sync.

Unless you’re talking about millisecond lags (like the latency which on this PC with onboard soundcard is 17mS each in and out).

I’m talking about 2 - 3 seconds lag. Strange thing is that it only happens in the editor window and not in the main track window. That’s what has me puzzled.

Steinberg, have you had a chance to check this? I wrote Steinberg Support about this issue but have had no reply so far.
This certainly remains an issue in my system.

Just I checked this problem, and it’s solved in update 9.5.21

Really ? It has been broken for years.
Will test when I get a little time, I hope it has been resolved.

I just updated to 9.5.21 and it’s definitely still there. I didn’t know this was a known issue, when I wrote about it nobody but you and kirkiliadis seemed to know about it.

My latest findings is that I have exactly a 1 second delay between the scroll play function and the waveform being the blue scroll in advance.

Here it is pretty random, using the Play tool in the sample editor and clicking multiple times wil tricker playback from this exact location or somewhere else.
Martin was Kind to inform me that it had been reported.
Btw I have no problems using the Play tool in the arrangement, just in the editor.

That’s exactly what happens to me and as I said before the delay is 1 second.