Automation doesn't follow audio in shuffle mode

Hi all,

I’m having an issue with Cubase 10 where automation doesn’t follow the audio in shuffle mode.

Can someone please check if the same thing happens on their system:

• Create an audio track and import an audio file and set edit mode to shuffle
  • Create some volume automation in the automation lane
  • Now, shorten the audio from the left (i.e. the beginning of the audio file)
  • The audio moves as expected in shuffle mode but the automation doesn’t move with it

Can someone please verify this happens with their system as well? I’ve already had a lengthy support ticket chat with Steinberg regarding the above but it’s still not clear if this a bug or a design choice.

Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome to the forum,

The Automation nodes are not linked to the dedicated samples of the Audio file. They are linked to Audio Event. So if you shuffle the Audio inside the Audio Event, the Automation doesn’t follow this shift.

It works as specified.

I’m not talking about shuffling the audio within the part, I’m talking about shuffle as edit mode (as opposed to ‘grid’, ‘events’ etc…).

Then if you shorten the audio part, the automation doesn’t move with it.

Automation doesn't follow in shuffle mode

I made a screen capture to illustrate the problem.

Hi Martin,

FYI: A Steinberg customer service employee has confirmed in support request that the behavior I’m describing is indeed a bug in the software. Hopefully it will be taken care of in the next version.

Kr,
Niels

2 Likes

I agree this could indeed be an issue.
The automation is based on the Event and not on its content, so as Martin said, it is normal that when we slide the audio content with Ctrl+Alt the automation stays at the same place. But here it is not the question.

I find it quite normal that when we Trim an event while Shuffle snap is enabled, the automation should follow the event, the same as when we move the event manually. The only thing is that it would need the rest of the automation lane to follow the displacement of all the following events in the track.
So, saying that this is a bug in the software is not right, this functionality is simply not implemented.
I’ll still mark it as a bug, right ?

If we follow the same logic then when using the Selection Tool - Sizing Moves Contents, the automation should also follow the event based on where we resize the event from (start or end) since all it does is pushing or pulling the content along, and it is very important to mention that one since it goes along with the Trim + Shuffle snap (both are actually the same process if you think about it).

And of course if we go even further then the automation should also stretch when we time stretch the event, since this is still based on the event and not the audio content. This could be kinda cool I think :grinning:

Added to the issues list, number 30.