Bar Numbers and Repeat Endings

Hey there!
A common convention regarding Bar Numbers and Repeat Endings is taking the Repeat Ending boxes (1.2. etc.) and treating them as a single measure (the same bar number). Currently, Dorico assigns consecutive Bar Numbers to Repeat Ending measures, and this behavior can be changed by adding a Bar Number Change easily, but it would be great if there was an option to not count Bar Numbers in Repeat Endings.
I attach an example of a Henle Edition that shows this kind of numbering.

Thanks!
Albert.

That’s interesting, I’ve never seen such as this.
I am mostly used to wind bands - what music are you talking about?
No offence intended whatsoever, I’m genuinely curious.

It’s common in classical music editions (and critical commentaries) to refer to the bars in a first time ending as say 15a, 16a, and the corresponding bars in the second time ending as 15b, 16b.

That makes sense if you consider them as alternative versions of the same music with small differences because of the repeat. It also means that if the music has consistent phrase lengths (e.g. 4 bars per phrase), the bar numbers don’t get out of sync with the phrases just because there is a repeat with 1st and 2nd time endings.

But if you want to use bar numbers for rehearsal purposes, it makes sense to count every bar line as a new bar number, to make it easier for those who have to count on their fingers :wink:

Thanks, Rob, for your complete answer! It’s pretty interesting what you say! :wink:
(Estigy, Rob overtook me! Hahaha)