BUG: Tempo Detection Crash / Freeze

Tempo detection only works properly for projects at 44.1k.

Repro:

1. New project, set to 96k
  2. Record or import audio event
  3. Click on event, select Audio / Detect Tempo / Analyse
  4. Attempt to warp tempo points - initially they snap back to detected positions (snap is off)
  5. Keep attempting to warp points - they break and disconnect from each other
  6. Keep attempting to warp points - Cubase Freezes and becomes totally unresponsive.

System:
Win 10 Pro fully patched
Cubase 10.0.20, fresh install after removing all Steinberg software including previous Cubase versions
RME Fireface, latest firmware and drivers
UAD Octo, latest drivers / plugins

History:
This bug has been present since 9.0
See also:

Brendan McLearie

Hi,

I tested this on Mac and Windows in Cubase 10.0.20 and Cubase 9.5.50. Both works as expected. I can Warp the tempo manually. No crash, no freeze.

Hi Martin, thanks heaps for testing. Can you confirm a couple of things?

Likewise, I can manually warp the tempo by using the warp tool in the tempo track.

My crash occurs when the Detect Tempo window is still open after using the Analyse function. My workflow (used to be) to analyse, then working through the event, adjusting manually for anything that wasn’t correctly detected, with the detect / analyse function still open and working to adjust points to the right of my manual corrections. This is the scenario that crashes.

Do you also have the detect window open after having first done the analyse in say a 96k project?

Many thanks.
Brendan

Here is a screen capture of the crash.

(Note the child windows and menu drop downs don’t show). At the end the Cubase is frozen. Note the Detect Tempo child window is open (but not shown).

Hi,

Now I can reproduce it. Btw, it’s Windows only. Reported to Steinberg CAN-22700.

Many thanks Martin. Much appreciated.

Hi,

A workaround is:

1. Once the Tempo Detection is done, click to the Object Selection tool (or any other tool).
  2. End the tempo detection session by clicking to Continue.
  3. Select the Time Warp tool again and adapt the map.

Or simple just close the Tempo Detection window. :slight_smile:

Yes that’s the only way… which is what I’ve been doing when pressed. However, inevitably the detection is wrong anyway (especially for 96k projects), so you end up having to make so many manual adjustments that it’s easier to build the tempo map from scratch. For projects that include time signature changes (for some reason I get too many of those!), there’s the added hassle of having to delete a whole bunch of tempo points too. Bottom line is that the tool is broken.

Not sure if it’s related, but another issue that got me last week was hit point detection in a midi track. The midi was recorded in to a 96k project without click. I needed to build a tempo map from the midi event and tried the detect process. It got it badly wrong per bug, but then I dropped the project back to 44.1 (and in trying to find a solution also exported the midi and imported into a fresh 44.1 project), however the hit point markers in the midi file persisted making it impossible to quantise or do any tempo detection. Ended up getting the musician to re-record into a 44.1 project.

Overall this whole area of tempo / tempo track / hitpoints seems to be going down hill in Cubase.

1 Like

Hi,
I am experiencing a similar bug on my Mac. Specs are i7 with 32 gigs of RAM and Radeon graphics card. Interface is an RME Fireface 800 or a Universal Audio Apollo 8p.

Whenever I do analyse on tempo detection, it performs the task. But as soon as I click either continue or cancel to change tools, Cubase crashes.

I forgot to note down the error code, but this is definitely happening on the MacOS platform as well and is not just a Windows bug.

Please fix this Steinberg.

Hi,

Could you attach the crash file located in macOS Console Utility, User folder, please?

Hi,
Please find three of the crashes here, which occurred each time I used tempo detection on a midi file and then attempted to cancel or continue.

Hoping this can be fixed soon, wishing I stuck with 9.5 now, haha.
Cubase 10_2019-05-27-220412_Arvinds-iMac.crash (117 KB)
Cubase 10_2019-05-27-215659_Arvinds-iMac.crash (120 KB)
Cubase 10_2019-05-27-220651_Arvinds-iMac.crash (128 KB)

Hi,

As far as I can see, you are still on Cubase 10.0.15. Could you update to the latest Cubase 10.0.20, please?

If it’s still crashing, could you try in Cubase Safe Start Mode, please?

If it doesn’t help, attach the new crash dump from Cubase 10.0.20, please (one is enough, so far all 3 crashes are exactly the same).

@Martin.Jirsak has a CAN number been issued for this that we can look out for in the next patch?

Many thanks,
Brendan

Hi,

I’m sorry, I’m not a developer to be able to read the crash files properly and completely. I see all 3 crashes are the same, but I can specify what exactly caused the crash. If I would send it to Steinberg, they would ask to update Cubase first.

Apologies for confusion Martin. I’m not the one with the crash reports. I’m the one that created the thread. You indicated that that the bug was confirmed and you were sending to Steinberg previously. The post with crash reports was a later addition by Jimmy_Rage, not I.

So on the basis of your original response to me, have you reported this bug and is there a CAN issue number?

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion.

I’m sorry, I’m not allowed to share these informations publicly.

Understood. Apologies again, but I’m at the end of my patience trying to get this bug logged. And its been nearly 2 years.

Have you logged this as an issue with Steinberg?

Hi,

Yes. It’s in the system and in the pool of bugs.

Many thanks Martin.

I have what looks like exactly the same problem on 10.5. Crashes and weird behaviour.