Cubase 10 extreme real time peaks

This^

Cubase code should be rewritten in almost it’s entirety. It’s archaic and not in line with today’s standard, imo ofc.
I still love it and use it but I would like for Steinberg to improve on it so I won’t be forced to move to a different DAW, for multiple reasons.

Now that I’ve learned the true scope of the hyperthreading issue and have resolved it by turning it off in my BIOS, I use 10.5 every single day. Last thing I want to do is discard my nearly 20 years of experience using this because of their behavior, but this last interaction has left me with a very, very bad taste in my mouth toward the company. Ive been finally pushed to learn and use other DAWs, and Ive even learned how to make decent rhythm/perc stuff inside maschine2 in standalone mode so as to avoid cubase as much as I can.

I am frankly surprised I am not temporarily banned and my comments deleted - again - for talking about this in this way, and placing blame on steinberg for their dishonesty and poor control over this forum.

Where are the pro-brand accounts in this thread? They usually come in to lie, cause chaos, and pretend this is a localized, extremely rare issue until the customer becomes angry enough to swear or say something “inappropriate” so that we can be censored to suppress discussions on this. Not today eh?

I disabled hyperthreading in my bios but did not see an improvement on my particular issue, which is… I have a smallish Cubase 10.5.20 project that has several Musical Sampling Kontakt libraries in use (Adventure Strings, Trailer Strings, Trailer Brass, and Renegade). The issue I am having is that when chords (it seems) are present in the MIDI for those libraries the cpu spikes up and I get dropouts. This could be problematic issues with those libraries. Not sure. I don’t have that issue with other libraries to that extent.

Maybe that isn’t the “spike” you refer to though. I have also experienced while just playing a piano or other instrument open by itself in an otherwise empty Cubase project that the cpu will occasionally spike and give me a dropout, and that is very odd. Maybe that is the spike you refer to?

Thanks.

The cause of audio dropouts (along with the associated ASIO internal processing real-time spikes that show up on the internal meter) is not ONLY the hyperthreading issue, and it varies on different platforms. The issue is inconsistent, but present on many modern hardware builds I’ve seen, on windows and Mac.

Kontakt libraries can be very heavy, and a chord played from one of them might overload a bottlenecked system, even a latest and greatest Intel i9 x or k series cpu, depending. If disabling your virtual cores has no impact on your issue, there is a good chance it isn’t related in this case. I saw immediate improvement.

Looks like adventure strings is only 2.9GB total size. You may have other issues present. Is your hardware all stock clock frequencies and timings, etc? How many cores? Audio interface? Etc etc.

It isn’t about a library size, but about what it does when it get note information. I suspect it is doing some stuff via the scripting to try and make it more realistic.

My cpu load was just under half, but when those instruments hit it peaks out. Audio buffer is the max for the UR44 at 2048. I really wish they had a 4096 buffer.

does anybody here even answers thos questions? … i got cpu problems with 12 tracks and i am pissed off

Hi!.. I have Cubase Artist 10 installed both in Windows 10 and Windows7 (dual boot PC). At a certain point, after comparing Cubase 10.0.03 on win7 with the same 10.0.03 version in win10 I came to the conclusion that the performance was identical and stopped using cubase on win7 (but kept it there). All the later cubase10 updates (from 10.0.04 to 10.0.06) were only installed on win10. Everything went well until lately I began to notice a gradually worsening performance, CPU spikes, high CPU consumption, even when Cubase was not playing at all and even with very few (3 or 4) and light VSTis.
I booted to win7 and loaded the same song in Cubase 10.0.03 that I still had there and the difference was abysmal! Everything played smoothly as it should and without any CPU spikes and with the average CPU consumption about 1/4 of the one showed in the 10.0.06 cubase update at Windows 10 !.. I’m not sure if it was the last Microsoft updates or if the difference is due to something in the 10.0.06 cubase update (or both!). I wanted to roll back to 10.0.03 on win10, but I can’t find that update installer anymore.
I’ve been using the 10.0.06 since it was available, and I think the situation has been worsening since then, I didn’t notice it immediately, it seems to have been gradual, but I’m not sure… Anyone knows where on the Steinberg site I can download these previous versions?.. I could only find the 10.0.5 and 0.6, but I’d like to try with 10.0.3 and 10.0.4 too, on win10.
Also, if anyone has any other suggestions to solve this problem (and yes, I’ve read the whole thread before posting this), I’d be very grateful.
Thanks in advance.

Did you try disabling all virtual cores in your BIOS? Try that, and also make sure nothing is over clocked or over-voltage.
Make sure 64bit processing precision is enabled in Cubase, and make sure ASIO guard is on. Try low/med/high guard settings in Cubase. The thing that made the single largest difference for me was disabling virtual cores.

This explains it for me!.. That’s why all my sessions started ok and ended up with CPU spikes all over the place! At first I thought it was some kind of memory leakage, but after I read the above comment, I used Speccy to check the temperature of my laptop’s CPU and it was up in 83ºC !!! I shut it down and went out for a cup of coffee, and tonight I tried it again. At the beginning of tonight’s session, with cubase loaded, Speccy showed a CPU temperature at about 60ºc. I continued to work with cubase’s CPU meter showing low consumption, no spikes at all. A couple of hours later the CPU temperature was approaching 75ºC and cubase still worked OK. Only when it entered in the red, at 80ºC did cubase start to show higher CPU consumption and at about 82ºC the first real time spikes started to appear. It’s very hot here where live (Portugal, almost 40ºC today! :blush: ), and I’m using a laptop, so I don’t know how I’m going to solve this… Any suggestions?..

I have ASIO Guard at maximum level and 64 bit float enabled, but my laptop BIOS doesn’t show an option to disable virtual cores (or I didn’t find it). It’s a Toshiba Tecra , i7 CPU , 2.9GHz, from 2012. It has served me very well for MIDI/audio synchronized with video… until Cubase10, that is… But as I said in my previous post, the problem seems to be related to CPU overheating… :frowning:

Definitely get those temps down, yeah. Also try to find your hyperthreading options if you can.

My PC has 4 cores. If I disable hyperthreading my high cpu use project seems to drop out audio more often. I had to re-enable hyperthreading to get the project to play enough to do a little work on it.

HT isn’t the only issue, and different platforms experience it differently. It sounds like you have a bottleneck or issue elsewhere, such as background stuff like a/v, audio interface driver, etc. Should probably use the latencymon to get a better look at it. Have you analyzed your windows processes while this is going on? See anything funny outside Cubase? Any overclocking or nonstandard cpu, voltage, memory settings in BIOS?

I might try disabling the onboard audio interface. And I’ll look into the Latencymon.

Thanks.

Hi again!.. Actually I’m not so sure anymore that (in my case) the problem was due to high temperature… I went back (once again) to win7 and the CPU temperature was as high as in win10 (80ºC!!!), yet Cubase worked without crazy CPU peaks of 100%!..I can’t find the possible culprits anymore… it’s completely unpredictable! it’s probably due to more than one factor, and even when not jumping and peaking up to 100% the CPU meter always shows more than 3 times higher in win10 than in win7 with the exact same project. The only difference is that I have Cubase 10.0.30 in windows7 and Cubase 10.0.50 (and 10.0.60 before going back to .0.50) in win10. I can’t find my 10.0.30 so that I can try it in win10, and couldn’t find it any longer on the Steinberg site. Can anyone give me a link to version 10.0.30?.. maybe on the Steinberg ftp?.. Thanks in advance.

Yeah I had a feeling there would be more to your story. 80c is pretty hot, but Ive had old systems occasionally hit those temps due to poor cooling and they were rock solid, even running cubase.

As far as I understand it, there is an issue that involves both major OS vendors as well as Intel, to do with a multithreading scheduler and multi-threaded multi-media applications that run inside those operating systems.

The issue seems to affect some, but not all modern X and K series CPUs that use Hyperthreading. (I dont have confirmation that any of this happens to AMD or any other HW/SW profiles). In some cases, the symptoms of the issue can mirror the symptoms of other system configuration issues, and steinberg and some users on these forums seem to always choose the other issues to troubleshoot first, and come to the multi-core issue last.

I’m using a Toshiba Tecra (it was the top business model when I bought it back in 2012 when I saw it being recommended by someone at the KVRaudio forum). It’s a 2.9 GHz i7 that shows 4 cores, but I think it’s really 2 cores virtualized to 4. It doesn’t have any option to disable hyperthreading, though, not even in the BIOS.
Anyway, Cubase10 has much better performance on Windows7 than on win10, so I doubt it is a hyperthreading problem in this case – I wouldn’t be so worried about this if I hadn’t read here on the Steinberg forums that from cubase11 onwards they will stop supporting win7… :confused:

Windows 7 is already not supported.

I Know that!
As I said before, my Cubase Artist 10 works OK in Windows7, but NOT ok on win10, in the VERY SAME laptop (dual boot). The only difference is I have Cubase 10.0.30 in win7 and 10.0.60 in win10. I can’t find my 10.0.30 update and it’s no longer available in the Steinberg site, so I’ve been unable to roll back to 10.0.30 on win10. Can somebody give me a download link to the 10.0.30 version, so that I can try it on win10 and check if it performs better?.. Thanks!

Hyperthreading implementation on windows 10 vs windows 7. Win10 contains multimedia multi-threading limitations that don’t benefit pro audio apps, and there is also some sort of scheduler issue. Win7 does not have the multimedia thread limits. If you Google and do research outside the steinberg forums you find references to this.