Cubase 11.0.20 maintenance update

Thank you all.
I installed the one package and Cubase is now updated to 10.0.20 - fine :slight_smile:

Hello.
I have the same behavior with Windows 10 and C11.0.20. The lines appear different although they should be the same for all full bars or all quarter bars. And with the change of the HZoom level, it changes randomly. This is confusing!

Somehow the differences in luminance (for full bar, quater bar, etc.) seem too low, or the width of the lines is too small… Typical issue when tiny details are to be rendered out, where tiny means a width that results in around one pixel. The Issue is that some lines of that grid are drawn with a width of two pixels and others of the same type only with one pixel. The renderer might does some antialiasing to smooth it out, but ends up dimming the line. At the end there are lines with different width and different lumiosity for the same typ of grid line.
But it is not the case that this is impossible to solve. Steinberg has already! Just look at the ruler:
Full bar is 1 pixel and always a bit lighter . All divisions are also always one pixel and just a bit less intense.

Conclusion: Please apply a proper rendering of the grid lines, this is as much appreciated as it is needed.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hi DPI good or not good?
For me it is not fun to look at. It appears to be larger at “+25”, but not better. I went back to NOT use the HiDPI anymore. I took two screenshots of the same project including tracks, left, right and lower areas.

Lets zoom into it at 600%
The waveforms (100 vs. 125):

Track Controls (100 vs. 125):

Top Icon Bar (100 vs. 125):

We see that the Fonts render quite well at higher DPI (they exist in a vector format)
But the most graphical elements like the waveforms and for example the mute and solo buttons are sharp at 100% and get blurry at 125%.
To me this is an upscaling effect where the original image for the button is made for 100% and is scaled up for 125 with smoothing. I can reproduce this in paint.net, I am taking the first image from the Track Control (at 100%) and apply an bilinear upscaling to 125% and I get this:

I know, it is a huge task to change a GUI from pixel-based icons to vector-based icons. :wink:

Thanks for reading
Martin :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi Martin

And thanks for your feedback. I’m afraid it is unfortunately and we’re working every new version on bringing the vectorization further and further.

Cheers,
Armand

5 Likes

Why do you continue to do this Steinberg. So many complaints and the fear is the majority of these will never be dealt with before you move on to version 12.

Aaaargh! :rage:

I’m not trying to start a fight, honest. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: But I just don’t quite grasp how you can be satisfied yet acknowledge Steinberg are repeatedly failing so many customers in releasing software with bugs that don’t get fixed,

They often appear to not be really listening proactively or unwilling to change.

These issues is not new.

I have zero problems on 10.5 - why do you keep upgrading right away if stability is so important to you?

Yes, but it makes sense to think that a program should be OK to use after 2 bug fix updates and 7 months.
When is a right time to upgrade? Probably there won’t be a 11.03 and we will get the paid 11.5 in November with new features ‘and’ bugs.
So shouldn’t update to that one too and it goes on like this but people want to use the new features as well so I don’t know.
IMHO Steinberg should release more bug fix updates like every couple of months or so.

2 Likes

I instantly bought Cubase 11 because I work a lot with sample slicing, and the update to the sampler track did excite me and made a lot of sense for my workflow. And I am not paying money to be a beta tester, I pay money for a product that should be working as expected when it’s being released. You know, with a price tag 'n stuff.

Cubase since a few versions is the equivalent of buying a brand new and expensive car that’s being advertised and shiny. But you then discover that the wipers only work half the time, the seat warmer can’t be turned off and sometimes your fuel consumption goes through the roof without a reason. It’s still a fully featured car and you get from A to B, but it’s not a great experience on the way.

4 Likes

They have a very good record of fixing bugs that can be reproduced. Yes a lot of them still slip through the cracks but for my use I don’t have any big bugs that affect me - fixed as I run a very simple and straight forward ITB setup.
I can run Cubase all day and it will have to be fluke for it to crash, so that is why I suppose. Some bugs are just more of just nuisances rather than game-stoppers, or fall into the category of feature not complete or feature not working as intended.
/p

Has anyone experienced a license not found error with 11.0.20? For some reason I started getting the error. My doggle is on a hub but never had any issues with. I ended up uninstalling 11.0.20 and installed 11.0.0 and it is now working fine. I’m on a Macbook Pro i7 10.14.6 macOS. I think I’m going hang back on 11.0.0 for a while. It has been a very good release for me.

1 Like

They have a very good record of fixing bugs that can be reproduced.

Respectfully this is not entirely the case. Ask those with legacy versions of repeatable bugs for e.g…

Yes a lot of them still slip through the cracks

Again, respectfully, this seems to contradict your first comment.

but for my use I don’t have any big bugs that affect me - fixed as I run a very simple and straight forward ITB setup. I can run Cubase all day, and it will have to be fluke for it to crash,

Genuinely glad your system is solid and bug free, though as you can see even from this thread alone, that is not the case for all.

Some bugs are just more of just nuisances rather than game-stoppers, or fall into the category of feature not complete or feature not working as intended. /p

I can agree some bugs are really wish lists but not the case in the majority posted. Several are quite plainly repeatable bugs that warrant review even if nuisances. Steinberg may have been doing this same thing for years.

2 Likes

Okay for who? everyone? It’s certainly okay for most. But also no, not necessarily, 2 bug fixes aren’t enough. If you’re someone who is hoping for all 4k resolution problems to be solved, then no, and it’s your fault for jumping the gun on 4k before checking if your software will support it - this has been knowledge for over 30 years.

As did I, and I have not used it once. There’s tons of features I want to use, but 10.5 on Win7 is smooth and without problems.

Unless you are living in another universe, this is just not reality. Everything from video games, to microsoft excel, to water dam automation, to the Boeing 737 max which has killed some hundreds of people, to the trillion dollar Lockheed F35 jet which was riddled with problems, to civilian vehicle slip resistant tire control… Everything has problems on release.

It’s unreasonable to expect otherwise if you acknowledge the vast unforeseen variables of the universe beyond our conscious which incudes software.

This is why you have to take responsibility as a user to make smart decisions about what you need, why, and when…

… It’s more like you ghost riding your current working car off a cliff before test driving the new shiny one which looks great and has cool features despite you having the knowledge that the company and all vehicles in general have problems on day 1 release.

The Airforce did not disband all their F22s as soon as the F35 was wheeled off the lot. They didn’t - not - put it through trials themselves, etc.

Some bugs may not be able to be fixed depending on how deeply baked into the software they are and to how many things will be affected if the code is changed. That may change as the code base is modernized completely for Windows 10. Steinberg just stopped supporting Win7 on 10.5. This is more complicated than you seem to know. Cubase has code that spans 5 or so OS versions - Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and now Windows 10. It’s amazing that it works as good as it does for how deep and complicated a program it is.

2 Likes

That does not entirely quite make sense. Firstly bugs aren’t ‘baked’ in, they are flaws having some impact on the deliverables and are usually as complex or simple as the code/framework is and not otherwise. Secondly we aren’t only talking bugs spanning multiple versions— who said that?— we’re also talking bugs that also appear in a version and weren’t remedied.

That’s not baked in that’s just forgotten or overlooked.

This is more complicated than you seem to know.

I suspect most of us here are just wanting to make or professional journey with Cubase smoother and so I can’t respond to this and take your bait. Really I won’t.

The rest of us will keep pressing Steinberg in the hope something is done in the broad sense with bugs, regression and release schedules etc.

You, it seems, are best ignored.

4 Likes

Well no, changing one thing in code can break 100 other things. That’s what I mean by baked in,

not really sure what you meant by this then:

Like I said, everything’s great on my end - because I made decisions that are great, no problems, no stress, I’m getting work done… as is Junkie XL, as is Hans Zimmer, as is Ian Kirpatrick, as is many others. My professional journey has been fine, smooth… because of decisions I make with my computer and software… which includes not making myself a guinea pig on new software releases.

Ignorance comes from ignoring.

@vncvr Well no, changing one thing in code can break 100 other things. That’s what I mean by baked in,

Again, even this doesn’t have any relevance to the points people are making. People are reporting issues. Others are confirming it. A small few like yourself push back, but it makes no difference to the actual fact there are bugs.

IMO it’s a very simple premise.

@vncvr not really sure what you meant by this then:

It’s from your very own statement praising Cubase’s stability over multiple versions of Windows (your sentiment not mine). I’ll quote it below.

“Cubase has code that spans 5 or so OS versions… It’s amazing that it works as good as it does for how deep and complicated a program it is.”

@LoveGame Like I said, everything’s great on my end - because I made decisions that are great, no problems, no stress, I’m getting work done… as is Junkie XL, as is Hans Zimmer, as is Ian Kirpatrick, as is many others. My professional journey has been fine, smooth… because of decisions I make with my computer and software… which includes not making myself a guinea pig on new software releases.

Again this is profoundly immaterial. You reporting the success stories of Steinberg partners is inapplicable to the discussion and facts at hand. So I repeat. Several are reporting bugs and many have complained of a Steinberg pattern bugs reoccurring and being apparently overlooked.

Steinberg’s partners like Zimmer or you or I having blazing success with the software does not absolve them of remedying the issues of others.

Your argument again does not add up, because it doesn’t answer their issues, people posting here. It may be using unrelated circumstances to try and blanket very different and wildly unrelated ones.

@vncvr Ignorance comes from ignoring.

Agreed @vncvr . Now stop ‘ignoring’ the grievances of the other posters here.

My final words to you below, as I said, you are best ignored.

“Arrogance is a creature. It does not have senses. It has only a sharp tongue and the pointing finger.” Toba Beta

4 Likes

But same quality work is also done with Apple computers and Logic, Ableton, FL Studio etc but you bash them at every chance you get, yet when Cubase gets criticised you get all defensive hiding behind that it is a very deep and complex program, like others are not. Of course unless you are the one who is criticizing it, then it is valid.

There is no point to drop names. Hans was doing the same quality music with SX too. I don’t think he would output a worse product if he used Mac and Logic. It is just his preference and his comfort.
If you know your chops you can do it with anything you get. The point is to make the experience as smooth as possible and everybody in this forum just wants that nothing else. And finally nobody’s complains and feature requests have to make sense for you or validated, approved by you before reaching Steinberg.

4 Likes

So I decided to make sure that I am fair in my judgements here. After all, I do complain a lot about the stability and reliability of Cubase in recent versions. I made sure that all my plugins are at their very latest version, so if any known crash with Cubase came up since the 6 months that version 11 is out, they would be fixed. Mac OS is up to date. Cubase itself and all related content including elicenser is up to date. Let’s give it a little spin and see if any problems occur, shall we?

…

Clicking away the still broken CPU overload indicator, business as usual. Still pissed about it.
Creating a single track with Cherry Audio Voltage Modular 2. Again, very latest version, literally just updated.
Tinkering around to load a sampler and delay in the plugin, so far so good.
Deciding to try another instrument instead.
Deleting the track in Cubase.

…

CRASH.

Cubase 11_2021-05-08-150755_Tobiass-iMac-2.crash (170.0 KB)

Of course you heroes will come and tell me it is the plugin’s fault. But tell me, how is it, that the INVENTORS OF VST and supposed creators of PROFESSIONAL AUDIO SOFTWARE have the only DAW that completely dies when you use a damn plugin with it, not even in a large, complex project. I was creating and then deleting a single track and after not even 10 minutes of use, the DAW crashed on me. And again. Every. Single. Crash. is one too many.

2 Likes

I haven’t used Cubase 11 productively since I bought the update half a year ago, because this release is such a broken mess. I simply can’t make use of the product in a state like this. That’s why I suggested a free 11.5 stability-only release. If nothing changes at all in the way Steinberg handles Cubase, I will not pay them a single cent of money ever again. Even if they would release a 11.5 with lots of fixes, but asking money for it. I got a broken product and half a year of waiting and praying, which most likely will continue for months.

Edit: Tested the same procedure in Reaper, Live 10, Bitwig 3, Renoise. None of them complain or crash.

4 Likes