Cubase 12.0.20 performance issues

Hi Mattias
If this is the case then you should of made a warning to older system users that there will be a big difference better C11 and 12 and may render your older system totally obsolete . As i said in my post i’m now stuck with a dead horse now until i can build the required i9
Plugin report sent

The point is that we don’t test and support old systems. So we cannot know in advance if there might be problems. We are only supporting the systems that are listed in the official system requirements:

For Cubase 12 we have been very specific about which CPUs are supported. If your system is not supported, I would suggest to get the trial first and check how your systems performs before updating.

1 Like

I do appreciate that Matthias and technology moves forward and some of us like to strain every last bit we can out of old tech but ,as you did back in 2013 ,could you recommend a Motherboard and Cpu ? , i trust Steinbergs judgement , or what motherboards and Cpu’s are you using to bench test ?

Hello Chriss! Thank you for your reply. Currently, with the settings you see below, I don’t have any problems with crackles when I select any tracks with the mouse during project playback. The strange thing is that with lower or even slightly higher latency settings the crackles appear, so I left the settings as they are now. I do not know what it depends on, that some users have the latency set to just a few milliseconds and everything works fine for them. By the way I wanted to ask about Omnisphere vst plugin. When I was using Cubase Pro 11 before and selecting any sound in this plug-in while the project was stopped, PEAK never jumped to red. In Cubase 12, it is very common for PEAK to jump to red when selecting any sound. Only when selecting a preset. When I play with that preset it is ok. Can I do something about it? I have the same situation with the SPIRE plug-in, which I used to have problems with because the plug-in would crash Cubase when closing the program. Later this was fixed and it worked fine in Cubase 11. Now in Cubase 12 it behaves identically to Omnisphere i.e. when selecting a preset the PEAK often jumps to red. For example, the NEXUS 4 works perfectly in this regard and nothing like this has ever happened. Not to mention the Steinberg plug-ins which have always worked perfectly for me. Thank you.

1 Like

Hi @ptsa ,
the fix for freezes after Cubase running for several hours (active or idling) will be part of the C12.0.30 update. This should also fix your freezes, @Rob_Two.
Kudos go out to @cubace who actually pointed to the right direction (int32 played a role in this…). Thanks a lot!!

3 Likes

Hello Matthias. I wanted to ask what do you mean by old generation processors that are not supported by Cubase 12 ? I currently have an Intel Core i5 9600K processor and is this processor supported by Cubase 12, or is it time to change to something newer ? Thank you.

Hi Matthias,
I have an idea, I am running very old tech, with C11pro, but I never had issues ata all. This is a Q9650 OC @4ghz, I also have a 9th generation 6cor laptop, which runs C11pro great, so I do know my stuff.
Could it be that C12 is the first version that uses AVX of some form? My old destop does not have it so is unaffected, but AVX is known to work very differently on the cpu generations that have it. Yes it has big porformance gain, but also costs (power use and heat) and all generations have different issues , downclocking, throttling turbo limits/disable, some on one core some on all cores etc.
Does C12 have a switch to disable AVX, if it uses it of course?
I came to this idea because of the extra heat someone is experiencing here in this thread. I am not using or testing C12 yet myself, althoug I do have I licence for 12LE if you want me to try on my old tech.
Cheers
Vincent

1 Like

The i5 9600k is well supported. It’s 9th generation.

We support 4th generation or higher.

1 Like

Alright:) Thank you.

You are welcome! I fix one for you, now you fix one for me ;-).
Hint: Transport race…

1 Like

Please sent me the Plug-in reports! Thank you!

Where can I find that information?
I feel that this:

…is pretty generic and the opposite of specific.

I made an inquiry in this post because I thought it would be helpful for users to know what combination of PC parts are less likely to experience HW related issues. I didn’t get any proper reply.

It is in the link shared above were minimum CPU was mentioned. That link goes to the purchase page for C12 and on that page, like most software purchase pages, there is a section called system requirements. In there it states the minimum CPUs that are supported.

The minimum requirement is what it says, anyone can look up there CPU and find out if they meet the minimum requirement. The intel page will say which generation it is or just google it but also here: Intel® Core™ Processors Technical Resources

But also, if your intel CPU starts with a 3xxx it might well be 3rd gen.

I think it’s always been there and something everyone should read before buying any software,

We don’t have a list of specific components, but there are some general information on hardware components in our support section: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/206929270-DAW-Components

1 Like

My system exceeds all of the specs for requirement (Windows 10, AMD Ryzen, 32 gigs ram, etc.). I just loaded in 4 songs to do drum tracks on, and I am hearing pops and clicks once again. I use the RME Raydat, set at 32 buffers (which is what I have been doing for latency for any time I’m tracking, even full band with no issues. In my drum tracks template I am using Groove Agent for loop/click, UAD compressor, reverb and limiter. Shouldn’t be too taxing on my system by any means. Please tell me what else you need to know, as I use Cubase on a daily basis. I also have Nuendo 12 and have the same issues. I know I can use Cubase 11 to track, but I was hoping to move to 12. Thank you in advance.

Sorry to hear that. Could you please sent me the plug-in report in a PM?

1 Like

Thanks Matthias!
Just thinking out loud here, would it be reasonable for Steinberg to list one or two current PC builds that would serve as a sort of “Approved by Steinberg”? Then anyone who is in the market of purchasing a new computer can copy the exact build Steinberg devs have used to test the software on.

2 Likes

That would have to include, hardware revisions, bios version, bios settings, hardware drivers, their versions, audio devices and midi controllers and all their drivers. Obvious settings, archaic settings and of course phase of the moon lol.
Also other installed software and plugins (digidesign audio can break RME drivers on mac for example)
Best bet is to buy from something like Scan audio uk, list your wishes and software ans afaik they will guarantee a working computer.
If you use RME audio ware then their forum is a great source, as was/is the dawbench forum.

I understand where you’re going, but I do believe you are over complicating it.
BIOS and driver versions should always be the latest, stable etc.
No need to include peripherals… Yada, yada…

Although I agree that buying from a computer builder such as Scan, is a terrific idea, no one would ever be able to guarantee such a thing.

I think there’s probably a very nice business to be had for somebody (Steinberg?!) to make pre-loaded Cubase systems, configured with “known good” hardware, and having Cubase (and all necessary drivers) already pre-loaded and tested. I’d buy such a system in a heartbeat to save myself the trouble of fiddling with computer stuff for weeks to get it to work right, and instead use that time to make music.

2 Likes