Cubase 12 Freezes intermittently when setting audio connections

I am on latest Cubase Pro 12.0.30 as at 18th June 2022 on Windows 10 Pro and occasionally when changing profiles in Audio Connections Cubase will freeze not allowing any input anywhere and have to use Ctrl, Alt+Del task manager to close Cubase.
I’m now in the habit of saving my projects before opening Audio Connections.
Anyone else? (or will the advice be to delete my preferences profile! :slight_smile: )
UPDATE: Each time it froze I rebooted my PC, except once I got lazy and Cubase on startup proceeded to check my 65 content licences, reporting/listing apx 25 effects/plugins as not having a licence then proceeded to scroll through each saying ‘set offline’ then on opening Cubase it reported profiles missing for Reverence reverb and other basic stock plugins. so I rebooted and it reloaded the content. In short, if your Cubase freezes, best to reboot your PC!
If I choose ignore, it takes me to URL:

UPDATE: The other thing I’ve noticed is Cubase doesn’t shutdown any more when asked to Quit (regardless of whether I close the project first or not) so have to force it with task manager, receiving the usual ‘safe start’ prompts on startup. Getting quite frustrating now!
I thought Shutdown was only an issue when I’ve tried to open Audio Connections but although it did shutdown ok when I didn’t open Audio Connections, after I rebooted, Cubase opened into the hub allowing me to select my latest project but nothing loaded and it froze then so I had to force shutdown again.

Hi,

If you are on Windows…

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 12:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase12

Nuendo 12:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo12

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Please, write if the given dmp file happened during the Audio Connections issue or during Cubase quit. Please, provide a dmp file for every single one of these issues.

1 Like

Thanks Martin.
I will do that as soon as I get a chance (hopefully tomorrow) as I have a project I’m trying to finish on a deadline.
Also (I can create a separate topic if preferred), variaudio is not working in Cubase 12 as after it processes the event, the Variaudio controls are greyed out and I only get a single line, no coloured blocks and handles (see screenshot). I loaded the same project in Cubase 11 pro and Variaudio worls fine so I will use C11 and export the pitch corrected result and import it into C12.

UPDATE: C11 working fine but when reopened project in C12, there was no sound because my audio connections had disappeared along with all my presets except one from years ago! I will finish my project in C11 then follow Martins instructions hopefully today.

If your prefs are still there in C11 you try to could copy them to C12.

Hi @Tj99
Thanks for that. The prefs isn’t the issue as yet, it’s all the other issues mentioned.
It has lost my audio connections templates both in C12 and in C11.

Hi again Martin,

I just finished my project in C11 for my deadline so I have now followed your dump capture instructions as follows:
I Closed C11 and opened C12 creating a new project from a mix template, started procdump, saved my new C12 (empty) project then immediately went into Studio, audio connections and tried to edit the connections by deleting a bus then when I clicked to add a bus, it froze and created the dump file that can be found here:

I can’t create a meaningful set of audio connections (it’s lost all my templates) so unfortunately I can’t really continue at all in C12 so will have to continue working in C11 for now., unless you tell me it’s possible for me to restore & use a file from my backups that holds all my earlier saved templates and let me know which folder to find it (I backup nightly but only project data files but take full image backups monthly so last full backup will be apx 26/5 so I’ll have to check whether that’s C12.0.3 or earlier ;-).
Presumably I can then just restore it to the same named (but current) folder on C:

Please also let me know whether there is enough info in the dump file or whether you want me to try something else.

Thanks in advance.

Happening to me as well. On Cubase 11 pro. Open the audio connection window and switch my outputs. Once I click on another output it just freezes and locks the DAW. Doesnt even crash, it just freezes and doesn’t respond. So frustrating, hoping you get an answer soon so this can get resolved.,

1 Like

Hi,

This is another issue, already discussed in other threads. And it has been already reported to Steinberg.

Cubase Preferences folder trashing solves the issue. Cubase Preferences folders are:
Mac: ~/Library/Preferences/Cubase X
Win: %appData% Steinberg/Cubase X_64

Hi,

Reported to Steinberg. Thank you.

Thanks Martin. I will make a note of that for when I can use C12 again ie. once Steinberg have solved the Audio Commections issue, or do you think there’s a chance that deleting the prefs. folder could solve the audio connections issue also?

Hi,

Yes, it could.

Sorry for delay but been really busy.
I opened C12 which crashed so I reopened and accepted startup without my preferences, needed to go to audio connections as no connections, after adding 3rd item it froze as usual.
I will now try to reinstall the previous Cubase version which was working fine, until hear from Steinberg / Martin that they fixed the issue.
EDIT : Managed eventually to install 12.0.1 (after wasting hours having to reinstall SDA etc.) and same problem occurs - when setting up audio connections it freezes.
Therefore I’m back to C11 and hope Steinberg can refund me the upgrade fee if there is no forthcoming fix.

Hey Ken,

I was having the same exact issue. I tried many things to no avail until I reverted back to 12.0.0
I haven’t tried any updates yet because I just need to be able to work. I’ll keep an eye on this and hopefully it gets fixed. It also fixed the startup load screen hanging. 12 has been so buggy and frustrating.

Thanks for that! I didn’t go back as far as 12.0 because I knew I had a later version when all was ok but I’ll try 12,0 soon just in case.
UPDATE:
I’ve just installed C12.0.0 and opened it selecting ‘do NOT load my preferences’ & it seems to work ok on brief testing of creating all audio connections and saving them as named profiles & processing variaudio.
However, when loading inserts for Sonarworks SoundIDreference it only allows 1 profile (same problem as before) but I did uninstall the SoundID ref program so i believe I should reinstall it (once I choose which version) and see what happens then. Once you are using SoundID ref you can’t really mix without it because your ears are used to it so you’re not hearing the correct EQ without it - as is the idea of it! Watch this space…
UPDATE:
I reinstalled SoundID ref (didn’t matter which of my kept exe downloads I chose as it seems to connect to their server and install their latest app version) but when loading SoundID plugin as inserts anywhere in control room, it still won’t allow me to change the profile. Currently the one it’s chosen is for my alternative monitors so if I need Cubase 12’s features that aren’t in Cubase 11, then I can use Cubase 12 and mix on those alternative monitors until the next version of Cubase or SoundID is released but not have any headpone correction for mixing with my BD900 ProX’s.
In Cubase 11, whenever I load a new instance of SoundID plugin, it doesn’t allow me to change the profile from it’s chosen one (again, of my alternative monitors), however, my old various profiles have remained in the existing inserts for headphones and both sets of monitors so I can use C11 normally (except I can’t apply a profile for my new BD770 Pro phones :frowning: but hopefully it’ll all be solved soon).

I haven’t received any solutions from Steinberg or Sonarworks so I’m going to attempt a restore of my system image backup from 19th May when life was perfect and unimcumbered.
Wish me luck in my deep dive into the abyss! :flushed:

following

Restored whole system back to :
Cubase 12.0.0
SoundID ref 5.2.3.2
and all works as it should now.

i hope they fix this soon

Just updated to Cubase 12, seems like this is still happening. For me it happens 1/3 times when I change the tab to firefox and then change back to Cubase 12. This renders the entire program not usable until it’s fixed. Restoring the system is not a solution in my case.

Does anyone know how to make the program respond to input again?

@Kenlaboss Hi, welcome to the forum.
Your problem is different, please see the following topic :