Cubase 12 hangs on "initialising video player"

same here. windows 11 i7-10700k 64g ram. nvidia gt 1030 6g ram silent profile gpu.
just hangs at initializing video player. no safe load options work.

bit tricky what you are recommending seems as there are no preference folders in the locations you suggested. all i have is: cubase pro vst3 cache, logs, panels, presets, project templates and scripts. no preference folders??? and nothing found when doing a search?

I had the same problem. Solution for me: I just installed VLC Player its a free programm for videos ā€œOfficial download of VLC media player, the best Open Source player - VideoLANā€.

(Maybe there are some Codecs missing in Cubase?)
hope this helps

1 Like

I was wondering if there will be any help from Steinberg team here?
Or should I submit a ticket?
//Dirk

PS: as mentioned before nothing of the above mentioned helped for me so far.

Same problem here, Steinberg please provide a new update

ā€œI had the same problem. Solution for me: I just installed VLC Player its a free programm for videosā€

No such luck for me. I know vlc well so no problem installing it but it made no diff on the launch. Thanks, tho.

Where are the preference folders located and/or what are they called? I have the same issue and had to uninstall 12 as sometimes it loads, most of the time it does not due to the video player. I tried deleting the files noted in this thread and nothing worked. Running Win 11.

Oli61 wrote:

I had this problem too (Cubase 12 freezes at "Initalizing video player) during the first program startup.
Stoping the program and moving the folder ā€œC:\Users[name]\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 11_64ā€ solved the problem.

The App Data file may be hidden so you may have to change your folder settings to see it. I trashed 11_64 and 12_64 and now Iā€™m up and running.

as mentioned elsewhere, there are no preferences folders to be found? i can only find a profiles folder in application files/cubase_64

just wondering if this is an issue for users who have upgraded from 11 to 12? be interesting to see if fresh purchase users are having the same problem.
so happy ive paid steinberg to be a free beta testerā€¦ again LOLā€¦

I was an upgrade from 11pro to 12pro. As far as End User Beta Testing, thatā€™s a practice that goes back as far as MS DOS 6, so I think weā€™re stuck with it.

guys, ive upgraded my nvidia driver to latest. cubase has loaded finallyā€¦ will give it a few restarts to see how it goes

damn itā€¦ after the first sucessful load i went into my asio options to set up my card. switch to 64bit float processing, closed app then restartedā€¦ now back at the video initializing hang againā€¦ oohhh joy.

another note. dont run cubase in admin mode, just tried this and cubase went mental with licensing errors. then hung again. seems cubase licensing only works when not elevated to admin.

1 Like

Same here - renamed videoengine.dll - now stuck at ā€œInitializing: Chord Padsā€

Hi Wamos, If you have Cubase 11, keep it installed. As I mentioned, I renamed the videoengine.dll (somethink like videoengine.dllOLD) to stop it halting the loading (although Iā€™m not sure that was really necessary, but do t anyway). I then deleted the folder Cubase 12_64 from C:\Users[your_name]\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg. Then go back into Cubase 12 program. The program may take a while to go through the plugins (vst3 detection seemed to take a few minutes). A new Cubase 12_64 folder will be automatically generated in that path, and will import previous preferences. That got me working.
I replaced the videoengine.dll. I donā€™t use video in Cubase so I donā€™t know if thatā€™s working or not. (I really should try it out of curiosity). After all this, Iā€™ve been using Cubase a few nights now, no issues. just like Cubase 11. So I havenā€™t explored the new stuff, and probably wonā€™t. But at least itā€™s up to date!

1 Like

there is no need to delete videoengine.dll - just the Cubase 12 in the roaming - then, since I have Cubase 11 installed, the old preferences got loaded into v12 as expected.

no use uninstalling the app itself or anything else - just delete the folder ā€œCubase 12_64ā€

I donā€™t have the folder and I canā€™t find the preference folder either, where should I look?
Windows 10

it is a hidden folder. got to control panel ā†’ appearance and personalisation ā†’ File explorer options

under the view tab choose ā€œShow hidden files,folders and drivesā€

then you should find it under your user name

Hi Glenn,

Thank you so much for answering!
Will try and locate this so I can get up and running, never had these kind of issues before. Have a nice weekend.

Best,
Mats

iPhonemessage