Cubase 12 hangs on "initialising video player"

Arguably an easier way of accessing the folder is to open Windows Explorer, and type:

%APPDATA%\Steinberg

into the address bar, followed by the Enter key. That way, there is no need to unhide hidden folders.

1 Like

Thanks for helping out! :+1:

iPhonemessage

Yes, I agree (about not deleting the video engine dll). I only did it initially from Matthias’ first suggestion.

When I got Pro and Elements 11 I had to remove videoengine.dll and videoenginepro.dll before either would run.

Sounds like the problem hasn’t been solved yet.

Had the same problem with Cubase 12 Pro under Windows 10, the program stopped at the video player initialization message.
Deleting preference folders or videoengine.dll did not help.
After many PC-restarts and several starts of the program finally I deinstalled and reinstalled Cubase and boom, it works now.

I just reinstalled Cubase 12, after uninstalling all the files, including Cubase 12 folder in Program Files section. This time I did not install the components, just Cubase 12 and the application opened normally.

Hi all,

We are really sorry for the inconvenience. The issue seems to be related to OpenGL. Unfortunately we are not able to reproduce the issue on our systems yet.

We need you help!

Could you please check which OpenGL version you are using on your system?
This information could be somewhere in the software panel of your graphic card. There are also tools like this (OpenGL Extensions Viewer 6 | realtech VR | realtech VR) that can help to get the information on the version number.

Also we would like to know your graphic card configuration. Which graphic card are you using and what is the version of the driver?

1 Like

Windows 11
Open GL : 4.6
Gigabyte 3080 GAMING OC 10G
Version: 511.79 WHQL

This worked for me:

1. delete the cubase 11 and 12 folders with the preferences from the appdata folder.
  2. remove the two video files from the cubase component folder (videoengine.dll and the second is called “videohires” or similar): simply move them to a different folder
  3. restart cubase and let it do its initialise procedure (it will automatically create a new cubase12 folder in appdata)
  4. close cubase
  5. move the two video files back into the component folder
  6. restart cubase
    → for some reason it loaded fine if i did the very first start without the two videofiles in the component folder and once it has done that inital run it also started fine on all subsequent starts with the two files replaced in their original folder. weird, but worked.

For me these fixes do not work. After deleting preferences the Cubase does start, but I need to delete preferences folder every time for Cubase 12 to start … :face_exhaling:

Im System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit Ver
graphics card:RX Radeon Vega 64
All drivers and systems are The latest version

After continuous testing finally come to a conclusion
Go to the following directory
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 12\Components
(backup araservice.dll backup elsewhere)next delete araservice.dll and NEXT start Cubase 12.

in this way temporarily solved
“initialising video player” and “initialising chords pad” and
“initialising Vst mix”

by this method Friends who have been solved this way reply me

steinberg Admin please update the patch as soon as possible
Although it is possible to enter Edit interface, but not tested Cubase12.
I don’t know if there are other problems with this.

I have this same problem. Stops on Video Player.

I get exactly the same problems stuck on chord pads after getting rid of the video file…
After a few goes it tells you you have no licence as well even though you are activated.
I had to pay the £86 which i think they should refund and give us all some grace for being loyal customers through the years since being a Sonar Platinum Refugee.
All the best John the unwilling beta tester guinea pig
Get rid of preferences and all hell breaks out until you uninstall the lot and go back to Cubase 11 , then it is full speed again

I’m not sure what tool you’re using, but that information looks way off. I have an nVidia Quadro GPU in this system running the 511.79 driver. AIDA64, which I regard as fairly reliable, shows OpenGL 4.6 is fully supported and DirectX 12.1 is supported.

DirectX support being stuck at 9.0 makes no sense on a GeForce RTX 3080.

1 Like

Cubase 12 started fine for me but after doing a system reset because of many issues I get the “stuck at video player issue”.

OPEN GL settings

I also have 11 and 9.5 installed and they start fine.

More computer info:
Win 10 Home
Version 10.0.19041
Build 19041
CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i9-10940X CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 14 Core(s), 28 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 3201, 04/09/2020

Solved for me. I simply just fully updated windows and also the drivers - there was an option for that in the Windows Update panel.

After that and re-starting it was solved. I’m posting my Open GL settings again AFTER the update in case it’s helpful for support to see any changes. Looks the same for me though!
open GL 2

Strangely my windows system info seems to be the same too.

stuck on video player again

hi all,

we are still investigating the issue. Could you please create DMP files when your system hangs and sent them to us?

Here is how it’s done:

Thanks for your help,
Matthias

The procdump process doesn’t work for me, tried quite a while.

But an interesting thing is that Cubase 12 opened fine after a system reset. BUT now I just opened Cubase 11 which I have installed too (and 9.5, didn’t open yet though) and after closing 11 and then opening 12 it’s stuck on Video Player again.
Since I’ll keep using 11 it’s not a pressing issue for me, but just a potentially illuminating detail to be mentioned here.

Same problem here. Stuck on Video Player.

New install (new to Cubase - not off to a great start). Upgraded from Elements 11 after about a week. Uninstalled everything Steinberg, updated all Windows 10 and drivers that were available. I’ve sent in the dmp file when restarting Cubase 12

OpenGL info (not sure what is needed):
v4.6.0 - build 27.20.100.86.81
Intel Graphics Drivers
9-5-20

Task Manager shows ‘Checking Licenses…’ Not responding

1 Like