Cubase 9.0.10 Crashes on Exit.

I am running Cubase 9.0.10 on Windows 10 Pro. The application opens fine, and I can create new projects and open old projects. Once I attempt to close Cubase, it crashes. It creates a Windows crash dump and shows this in the event viewer:

Faulting application name: Cubase9.exe, version: 9.0.10, time stamp: 0x583db431
	Faulting module name: MSVCP120.dll_unloaded, version: 12.0.21005.1, time stamp: 0x524f8413
	Exception code: 0xc0000005
	Fault offset: 0x000000000003d023
	Faulting process id: 0x2708
	Faulting application start time: 0x01d252c9a7b26afb
	Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 9\Cubase9.exe
	Faulting module path: MSVCP120.dll
	Report Id: b5b6e65a-11fc-40bc-88a9-1350b9d83bee
	Faulting package full name:
	Faulting package-relative application ID:

The steps to reproduce this is simple:

1. Open Cubase
  2. Create an empty project.
  3. Add an audio track.
  4. Save the Project.
  5. Close Cubase (either via the Menu or the Red X).

NOTE: You need to have the 2013 Visual C++ Redistributables installed on the computer.

Since the Windows error log is apparent that is failing on unloading the MSVCPP120.dll which is part of the Visual
C++ 2013 redistributables, and since I have seen messages regarding this issue here since Cubse 8.5.20 (really
Steinberg???) I have done the following. Some of these fixes work:

1. Uninstall Visual C++ 2013 Redistributables and remove MSVCP120.dll form C:\Windows\System32. This fix works, but Breaks Native
      Instrument Plugins, Vienna Ensemble Pro, and Vienna Instruments Pro.
  1. Keep the Visual C++ 2013 Redistributables and rename MSVCP120.dll to MSVCP120.old. This fix works, but
    also breaks the plugins and applications listed above.
  2. Keep the Visual C++ 2013 Redistributables and run Cubase 9 in application compatibility mode for Windows 8.1. This fix works. Native Instruments and Vienna Ensemble software work with this fix. But this fix breaks the Devil Technologies D-Touch software I am using for my touchscreens.
  3. Rename Rewire.dll to Rewire.old from “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Propellerhead Software.” This fix does not work.

Since I rely on Native Instruments, VSL, and D-Touch, using any of these fixes is not an option.

At first I thought this was a nuisance issue until I realized that when it crashes Cubase does not save my projects (I have to save the project first before I exit). It also does not keep any global changes made prior to the crash. It makes it hard to setup Cubase when it crashes on exit.

I confirmed this error occurs in both Cubase 8.5 and 9.0. I setup Cubase to provide logs but the logs do not show much on exit. I do have Windows Crash Dumps I can provide and will keep a couple of them since I am going to stop using Cubase and go back to either Cakewalk or Pro Tools.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Check this out:

Please try to repair the 2013 Redistributable via Programs and Features or re-install it (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784).

The dll should not be removed or renamed, as it contains functions many applications need to access during normal operation.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the 2013 Redistributables, but that did not work.

I put in a support into Steinberg and they said they are well aware of the issues. The problem is it looks like it will take them a while to fix it. Not good.

I will have to either deal with the crashes or use another DAW for a while . . . .

Hello,

unless you provided them with info which is missing here, I’m afraid I can’t confirm it’s a known issue.

Crashes occurring in the MS libraries can have very different origin.

Did they mention any issue tracking number?

I have the same crash on exit in 8.5 and 9. Its the same MSVCP120.dll module

Its connected with the rewire.dll.The rewire.dll located in Program Files/Common files/ Propellerhead/Rewire causes cubase to crash on exit.

The workaround is to delete the rewire.dll, however if you need Rewire with ableton or reaper its not a solution. As soon as it reappears Cubase crashes on exit (it appears every time I install a new version of Reaper)

Here are the other threads regarding this- one of your moderators was also included in it so I dont get it why it cannot be confirmed as a known issue:

I’m aware of that, it’s actually me who created the official entries in the bug-base related to C8.5, Rewire and Live in summer 2016 - but renaming Rewire does not work for OP and I don’t see any mention about Live, hence my post.
C++ redistributables are used by many applications and issues with them are very much wide-spread and can vary a lot, even when they look similar. Lastly, if the issue is actually known already, it needs to be added to the thread.

They did not give me a support ticket (figures). But I have been in email contact with Jeff Deno. Here’s the Email:

Hello Byron,

Thank you for contacting the Steinberg US Support team. My name is Jeff and I will be assisting you with your request.

From what I am seeing this has been reported and going through the normal QA process. I don’t have any specific updates past that at this time.

Thank you.

Jeff Deno
Steinberg US Support

Hello Byron,

Thank you for contacting Steinberg’s Customer Support Team. Your support request has been received and we will respond as quickly as possible. Support requests are usually responded to within 24 - 48 hours, excluding weekends and observed holidays.

Your current e-mail issue is already in our support queue to be answered. However, you may wish to visit our online Knowledge Base (> http://4wrd.it/STBKNOWLEDGE> ) and Forum (> Steinberg Forums> ). These are helpful resources with quick answers to common questions, available 24 hours a day, 7 day a week.

We appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

Best Regards,
The Steinberg North America Customer Support Team

P.S. Please do not reply to this e-mail message. This message is automated, unattended and cannot help with questions or requests.

Subject: Cubase 9 Constantly Crashes on Exit
Description: When you attempt to close Cubase 9 either from red X for from the file menu it constantly crashes. When it crashes it gives a windows error from the application log:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 2/13/2017 11:31:32 AM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: BTAINEDAW01
Description:
Faulting application name: Cubase9.exe, version: 9.0.10.150, time stamp: 0x587f3618
Faulting module name: MSVCP120.dll_unloaded, version: 12.0.21005.1, time stamp: 0x524f8413
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000003d023
Faulting process id: 0x13e0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2861ef0532212
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 9\Cubase9.exe
Faulting module path: MSVCP120.dll
Report Id: 66ba529c-8aab-48c0-ba32-5c1c92eb6b23
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
BTAINEDAW01

Cubase9.exe
587f3618
MSVCP120.dll_unloaded
524f8413
c0000005
000000000003d023
13e0
01d2861ef0532212
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 9\Cubase9.exe
MSVCP120.dll
66ba529c-8aab-48c0-ba32-5c1c92eb6b23

This file comes from the Visual C 2013 redistributables. If you remove the redistributables, it runs fine, but you also break Native Instrument Plugins and VSL ensemble pro. A temporary fix is to run Cubase 9 in compatibility mode for Windows 8, but this breaks my D-Touch touchscreen software. This is a known issue and is well documented in your forums (do a google search and you will see this has been going on since Cubase 8.

I need this fixed so I have the capability to run my D-Touch software along with Native Instruments and Vienna Libraries.

Steinberg North America
6600 Orangethorpe Ave
Buena Park, CA 90620
USA
ref:_00D30F1z._5000MgnJnT:ref

I tried this and it does not work in my case. I think I had this file becuase I had something else using Rewire but I did not recall what was using it. But up until 2 weeks ago I was not using Ableton. I also have a lot going on when I use Cubase. I use D-Touch for Cubase along with Vienna Ensemble Pro. I use Native Instruments. The only thing that worked for me was to uninstall the redistributable. But that also disables VSL, Native Instruments, D-Touch, and who knows what else.

I uninstalled D-Touch, VIenna (which would be a big problem), and even Native Instruments. Same problem.

Then I saw this thread before I called Cubase or started this thread:

I do use Ableton now but I only started using it a few weeks ago. And the only reason why I started using Ableton is because of the crashes.

I think it’s deeper than Rewire. I really wished it was only Rewire.

I’m going to send you a PM later on. We’ve seen few issues with the Redistributables (2015 as well) recently, let’s see what can be tried OS-side. Just to have the whole picture, did you re-install both C++ Redist packages (x86 and x64)?

Fabio, you IM’ed me, but I wanted to keep a log of what was done so other users going through this can see the results.

I did install both x86 and x64 redistributables. Actually I uninstalled them first and installed the new ones. No such luck. I did not try using an older version of the redistributables.

Okay, I just figured out I can post my crash files here (I could not send them via PM) I am posting them here. I will post an MSInfo file later today or this evening.
Cubase 9.0.10.150 64bit 2017.2.13 10.33.rar (69.4 KB)

Hello,

a quick follow-up. The cause of the crash in that dump is VST Connect.
I’ll check this more in depth, but as a quick fix, may you please try to move vstconnect.dll out of the C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 9\Components folder and see if the crash stops?

Thank you.

Guys I have the same problem but only on the MAC… when I close a project , it crashes… and even while I am working… I have the latest MacBook Pro 2016 with Sierra…

Does some one has a solution for me? …!!

Please, create a new thread or contact support.
The reasons why Cubase crashes on exit can vary a lot even on the same platform, so a different platform is definitely off-topic.

If you get a crash report, please paste it the thread or send it over with your support request.

Thank you.

I get these errors too.
With both Cubase version 8.5.30.192 and Cubase version 9.0.20.209

Fabio - could you tell me where to find the ‘crash report’ - I am on W7 64 bit - so I’ll create a new thread (crashes on exit.)

Many thanks.