Cubase Keeps Shutting Down- graphics2d.dll error 0x80070005

Hi Martin, thanks. But Im already on the latest NVIDIA driver it seems. I checked the version numbers and they match. It’s fairly recent, September this year. Or do you propose to reinstall the same driver, as a sort of reset?

Thanks a lot for your reply sir! I’ve disabled the NVIDIA driver via Settings. Is that the same? Or should I go into BIOS to enforce it even more?

Hi,

Yes, I would recommend to reinstall the driver again, with the necessary settings during the installation. Mainly this one:

• Disable everything (don’t install NVIDIA Experience, PhysX, etc.), keep just the video driver enabled.

Okay I will do so, thanks so much for your replies thus far.

BTW are you a Cubase employee? If so, may I ask if this issue is an officially raised ticket within Steinberg that gets proper attention from developers? I assume/hope that with all the crash dumps provided, developers can pinpoint the root cause and provide a software fix, or a workaround that is guaranteed to work?

Hi,

Yes, there are tickets from these errors.

Did exactly what you said. I have worked in Cubase for about one hour now. I had a sudden crash just now. In an instance Cubase just blipped out of existence. No error message, no freezing, just. gone… It did produce a crash dump though. Not sure whether it’s related ot this is something else altogether. I’m not sure which would be worse tbh :frowning:

Cubase Artist 11.0.40.446 64bit 2021.10.19 12.48.30.959.dmp (756.2 KB)

EDIT: now restarting Cubase it says there was an error while executing KERNELBASE.DLL

Hi,

This crash is in the TAL-Vocoder-2.vst3 plug-in.

Okay, thanks Martin! Good to know

Also, when I disable the NVIDIA drivers via Settings (didn’t touch BIOS yet), my resolution is horrible, and this makes working with tracks in Cubase impossible. Have you done anything to improve this? Sorry for my noob questions

I just want to add that I began seeing this error a few days ago. In my case, I believe it was related to an IK multimedia plugin (Miroslav Philharmonic), which was new to me. I had also just installed a Windows 10 update and the latest Nvidia drivers, as well as the latest Cubase 11 pro hotfix. So a lot of variables there, plenty of possibilities for troubleshooting. So here’s the thing - I just closed out the plugin GUI and the error stopped. My thinking was that since it’s gfx related, maybe that would help? Obviously, not a permanent solution, but it’s keeping me afloat for the moment.

Hi,

As far as I have heard, this could cause a problem. Some Windows updates decide, they are using newer graphic card driver than the one from the vendor. Then Windows overwrites the vendor’s driver by the built in Windows driver.

Thanks for the feedback. I have windows configured not to manage this, but they’ve failed me in this sort of regard in the past, for sure. In this case, I did the nvidia update after the windows one and have confirmed I’m using the appropriate drivers. As far as I can tell, the issue is only impacting the project that has the IK plugin and even then, it’s not an issue if the plugin GUI is not present. Weird stuff.

I have the very latest Win10 version and it always downloads the latest NVIDIA drivers. As far as I know it will never replace them with its own.

Update: I did exactly what you proposed, alas, no luck. I tried a few variations on your suggestion: instead of deleting the NVIDIA driver via the Device Manege, I used the DDU tool to complete remove everything NVIDIA-related, much more thorough I reckon. Then continue as per your suggestion, however this also didn’t prevent the crash. I also tried an older NVIDIA driver with your procedure, still no luck. I also downloaded a Studio version of the NVIDIA driver but indeed that is not compatible with the 710.

What I did then is, one more round of your suggestion (using DDU), use the normal latest NVIDIA driver, again no Physex etc, only the driver itself. Then, using the NVIDIA config tool, especially for CuBase switched off a lot of things, forced a low frame rate, etc, trying to come to a minimal config just for CuBase. I didn’t have long to test afterwards but it ran stable for about 45 mins. Which unfortunately means nothing as the bug is very random and can take hours to occur. Saying a little prayer here though.

Sorry, but how did downloading an NVIDIA driver solve an AMD Radeon graphics card problem?

EDIT typos

Read the whole thread. No one is implying what you just said :wink: The topic starter has disabled his graphic card’s driver, and that seems to work for him. There are several suggestions here for both AMD as well as NVIDA cards. Some users report success with some of these suggestions, some do not. You are perhaps right that the thread shouldn’t be set to solved as indeed the complete list of steps that Martin suggested weren’t what solved it for the topic starter

Hi, interesting this thread is still going. I have since installed drivers directly from AMD and it’s been working fine since I made the original post. It looks like the solution is similar for other graphics cards like NVDIA. Someone posted a step by step guide on how to try and solve the problem on NVDIA. I know it’s a frustrating problem. I still suggest going on cubase’ reddit and asking the support staff and users on there as well. Collaborate to find a solution.

Good luck

Hey Sobhato, unfortunately the solution doesn’t work consistently for NVIDIA It already starts with the fact there’s no ‘Studio driver’ for the 710 card. But even if one takes the ‘Game Ready driver’ it still doesn’t work.

This is really really frustrating. Could you please point me in the right direction with regards to Cubase Reddit? I’m clueless about what Reddit is and how to reach Steinberg staff there, but I would most definitely like to chase this!

Thanks a lot for replying.

Just sign up on reddit and search for cubase (r/cubase). Ask the same question again and give details. Hopefully someone there will have encountered the same issue and solved it. That’s what helped me find my fix. You could also ask NVDIA why their graphics card isn’t working for this DAW.

1 Like