Cubase Plug-in Sentinel: Blacklisted plug-ins

The claim is that the plug-in sentinel is supposed to increase Cubase’s stability. Well, let’s see where this thread takes us, on that subject:

Then it fails. As I said Synth one passed the sentinel fine but did not work at all and all plugins that got blacklisted worked great after re-axctivate them…

Fabio,

I (like probably many, many others) have concerns about the number of widely used plug-ins being rejected according to various posts here. Can SB make available a standalone version of Sentinel (freely downloadable, I think it goes without saying)? I’m reluctant to buy into Cubase 9 with such uncertainty outstanding. If I could run a scan prior to paying for a upgrade and find that there are minimal issues, the buy/skip decision would be vastly easier to make.

it`s a useful tool for eliminating culprits of instability maybe , but that should be the users choice .please make it an option if one wants to use the sentinal .this shock update inclusion is too extreme for long time users who use old plugins .

yes, newest Play 5.0.0.0a 64Bit - Reactivation works to the next restart :blush:

This tool was made available to all developers back in early August to get prepared for the Cubase 9 release. See VSTScanner for Cubase/Nuendo - VST 3 SDK - Steinberg Forums, you can use it too if you’re not afraid of using the command line.

Can somebody from Steinberg please answer me and thell me the sense of the sentinel when it passes plugins that don’t work in Cubase but blacklists plugins that work with no problem at all ?

If you add a list of those you refer to (both ways), this appeal would probably make more sense.

Do you want to help making the sentinel work better, or rather want it to disappear?

If you are talking to me: I did it twice already

Thank you, Arne. I have downloaded the scanner and will give it a try.

Eastwest VST_Play64 has been Blacklisted by Sentinel!!!

Plus my beloved Virtual Guitarist 2 (32 bit) created by Steinberg but obviously unloved by them has also bitten the bullet with Cubase 9!!!

It sucks to upgrade!! Maybe I should go with Mac and Logic Pro?

Got an email back from East-West. Play 5.01 is out now.

But:

I cannot test it, because their download tool does not provide anything
to download the update for an offline installation. :frowning:
It just does not work on my online computer.

EDIT: Works. I had to remove the plugin, restarting cubase, then putting
the new play 5.01 back again into the folder and restarting a second time.
Now play is no more blacklisted and works.

Well, I tried it and the tool seems to work. However, it appears to allow you test one plug-in per command line execution. Sheesh - I’ve got several hundred plug-ins. There’s no way I have time to test each single one with command line invocations.

Really, Steinberg, a batch utility that would test everything in a directory structure in one invocation ought to be something on offer to prospective Cubase 9 buyers. You are asking us to purchase on faith a new version that we may or may not be able to use with our existing collection of FX and synths. Having an assurance ahead of time that most of our plug-ins will not be rejected is really not too much to ask.

VG 2 works using jBridge v1.74

Cakewalk’s CA2A levelling amplifier (64 bit) plugin got blacklisted on my install. Anybody else using that plugin had the same result?

Was this tool made available to Steinberg?

Only I note a considerable number of Steinberg’s legacy plugins haven’t been made available in 64-bit. To have the gall to suggest that other companies should be sorting out the problems you’ve generated, when you can’t even be bothered to do it yourself, is bewildering.

PLEASE Steinberg, for the love of God, sort this mess out. If you have even the slightest interest in your loyal customers, and avoiding the rankest hypocrisy, you should AT LEAST provide support for your legacy plugs. Why haven’t you already? Why wasn’t this at the top of your list of must-dos?

well said man .ReverbA ,Doubledelay and the Rotary from SX3 ,im missing those like crazy .i dont even feel like starting a new project in Cubase 9 untill this gets sorted out.

It’s not only Steinberg who has to be addressed, it’s for a reason that plugin sentinel exists, it’s about bad programmed plugins that ruin your days work!
And Steinberg should not support those old plugins but have updated them in the first place with every version, (maybe they did I don’t know for sure).

Ooh yeah and I want a refund for my VG2 now…

the last two crashes i `ve had has been caused by the the resident drummer ,groove agent.
the old SX3 plugins have always being rock solid for me.even when i switched to 64 bit in cubase 6 and right through to 8.5.

I would be happy if it blacklisted a plug after it caused a crash, not on startup, yes harder to do but the right way to do it. I understand why they blacklisted 32bit considering the drop of support.
We’ll see in 8.5 it wont keep changes in plugin manager as cubase crashes on close. Makes it a pain to organize plugs when u have to hack XML files to organize plugs into categories.