Cubase6 on XP: Cannot kill process after crash

So maybe it is Win 7 as well ?

The thing is, I don’t want to spend a week of my life upgrading my OS to Win7, re-installing a million pieces of software, to find i am in a worse place than before.

C6 on XP seems perfectly stable otherwise… (more than C552 is (for me, at least))

Yes, at least on exit.

Cheers,
Bernard

try unplugging your MIDI device from the computer. sounds weird but its ALWAYS worked for me after a crash. the exe file will flush itself out.

…but then XP was a supported OS for C5.

KS.SYS is part of DirectX. I would suggest disabling your built in audio, updating the drivers for your audio interface, and giving Windows 7 serious thought.

There are times that this happened to me and I had to power off and disconnect either my ProFire 2626 or Virus TI. This also used to happen back in the day with my Midisport 8x8. I’m guessing that there is a hardware driver that Cubase still has a hold of so that’s why it’s still in Task Manager. Try powering off or disconnecting any hardware you have (interfaces/controllers) and see if Cubase actually shuts down.

Got C6 yesteray. Had a couple hangs. Same problem on Win7–couldn’t kill it or release profire 2626.

So this is not an XP issue.

Confirmed on Windows 7 64-bit Professional as well.

If it crashed (not too often so far, haha) it hangs and I have to reboot (fastest solution).

No amount of giving WIn7 serious thought, or support for XP, will stop C6 hanging on Win7 either :smiley:

Fortunately my Cubase 6 64 bit on Windows 7 64 bit is very resistant to crashing and freezing (hooray) so I can’t try out my old solution of killing SYNOPSOS.EXE. I suspect the “hanging” of Cubase.exe is to do with the Syncrosoft protection routine, but I can’t back that up with science. Anyone tried terminating SYNOPSOS.EXE to speed up the exit of Cubase.exe?

Good suggestion. I will try that.

bump?

Well I’ve tried every “task killing” utility under the sun, I’ve tried all the suggestions in this thread, including unplugging everything that has a plug on it, but I just cannot kill the damn process… then I came across this thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/598fe2b4-844d-412d-b195-5fa53dc62661/

…where it seems this problem has been affecting windows since at least January 2009. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Guys I’m having the same problem with Cubase 7…2 years into the future, and I’m running windows 7. Except I can kill the task after a while, but it won’t open the program after I kill it. The li’ll blue cursor will just roll around and around and the Cubase 7 icon on the taskbar will glow like magic’s about to happen but then…nothin. :frowning:

Try killing the process too.

I would suggest making sure your are running the absolute latest eLicenser software.

I just installed the latest everything…anyway, it doesn’t happen too often, so maybe I can live with it.

It seems like the issue is very rare for me now…for some reason, but the program still hangs on closing. :slight_smile: